Is there any benefit of trying to get a van reclassed? (1 Viewer)

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
Is there much point in trying to get a van reclassified as a camper van if you don't meet the requirements, high top, decals and the like?

Once I've finished my build it'll have, Windows, a Bench/Bed, running water, heater, table, lighting.

Am I right in thinking that these things used to be enough to get you classed as a camper van? But from my understanding, the best I can hope for is Van with windows, is there any benefit to getting it classed as such (if it's not a legal requirement)

Also is it actually a legal requirement to get it changed now it has windows?

Thanks.

Mark.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Makes very little difference and most only get van with windows these days anyway. So why build a van to what DVLA wants when the aim is a self build?

One of the main reasons im building mine is i dont want half the crap they consider it to need.

There will be no decals , few windows and no fixed side awning on mine

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
On your specific question:

"Also is it actually a legal requirement to get it changed now it has windows?"

Well, that's a question for a lawyer, but a search at legislation.gov.uk for "registration document" (there are no hits at all on "V5C") quickly shows this in "The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002":

Correction of registration document

14.—(1) [F20Unless when paragraph (1A) applies, where] the keeper of a vehicle believes that the particulars in the registration document issued in respect of that vehicle are, or have become, inaccurate, he shall forthwith notify the Secretary of State of the inaccuracy.

Which I read as "you must tell the DVLA if you change the body type of your vehicle" (which the DVLA also says lots of times on their website). If you've added side windows to a panel van, you've changed the body type, so you must reclassify to a van with windows. See here for instructions; you're modifying the "chassis or bodyshell".

Don't hold your breath, though. I tried this over 2 months ago and now I've got no V5C and I've heard nothing from the DVLA. I'd send it recorded delivery next time.

And I'm sure you already know the answers to your other questions - you'd never get a change to "motor caravan" approved, and it's completely pointless trying anyway. The 'body type' part of the V5C appears to have exactly one purpose, which is to allow the police to identify your vehicle on the road. They might complain if they saw that your modified panel van had windows, or they might not. Nothing to do with ANPR/speeds/insurance/etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Drizz

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
Pretty much sums up what I thought.

Thanks for the for the help. I will apply to change the can with windows once the second one is in.

EML

How much did it cost to get it reclassified?

Cheers.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
On your specific question:

"Also is it actually a legal requirement to get it changed now it has windows?"

Well, that's a question for a lawyer, but a search at legislation.gov.uk for "registration document" (there are no hits at all on "V5C") quickly shows this in "The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002":

Correction of registration document

14.—(1) [F20Unless when paragraph (1A) applies, where] the keeper of a vehicle believes that the particulars in the registration document issued in respect of that vehicle are, or have become, inaccurate, he shall forthwith notify the Secretary of State of the inaccuracy.

Which I read as "you must tell the DVLA if you change the body type of your vehicle" (which the DVLA also says lots of times on their website). If you've added side windows to a panel van, you've changed the body type, so you must reclassify to a van with windows. See here for instructions; you're modifying the "chassis or bodyshell".

Don't hold your breath, though. I tried this over 2 months ago and now I've got no V5C and I've heard nothing from the DVLA. I'd send it recorded delivery next time.

And I'm sure you already know the answers to your other questions - you'd never get a change to "motor caravan" approved, and it's completely pointless trying anyway. The 'body type' part of the V5C appears to have exactly one purpose, which is to allow the police to identify your vehicle on the road. They might complain if they saw that your modified panel van had windows, or they might not. Nothing to do with ANPR/speeds/insurance/etc.
Don't bother sending anything recorded delivery to DVLA; there's absolutely no point as it all gets put into sacks and would just be signed for by the sackful by whoever was taking the post for the post room! Much better just to get a Proof of Posting from the Post Office.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't bother sending anything recorded delivery to DVLA; there's absolutely no point as it all gets put into sacks and would just be signed for by the sackful by whoever was taking the post for the post room! Much better just to get a Proof of Posting from the Post Office.
Or as my mate found out having sent recorded delivery some years ago & starting legal proceedings they contered with " & when the recorded delivery was opened there was found to be "NOTHING INSIDE" 🤷‍♂️

Since then he has used "chain of evidence procedures" when dealing with them from videoed certified courier delivery from start to finish at swansea.

OP
OP
Mr Drizz

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
Or as my mate found out having sent recorded delivery some years ago & starting legal proceedings they contered with " & when the recorded delivery was opened there was found to be "NOTHING INSIDE" 🤷‍♂️

Since then he has used "chain of evidence procedures" when dealing with them from videoed certified courier delivery from start to finish at swansea.
Videoed certified court delivery?

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Update... got a reply from DVLA this morning, after 2+ months.

They want me to fill in the V627/1 they've just sent me, take before and after photos, send them my inside leg measurement, and so on. I replied with screenshots of their website, which basically state that you only need to supply evidence if you're re-registering to a motor caravan, which I'm not, and told them what to do with their V627/1. I've asked them to return the V5C with or without the change.

Watch this space...

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010

This happened to me too, no updated v5c sent back, however the direct debit for the tax halved. I’ll happily pay the £25 for new v5, now that they have done their job. The dvla are a complete nightmare.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Uhhh what?
Unless you drive a truck..... is there differnt speed limmits ?
Not that I will be pushing this gasguzler over 60mph often ... but still
Sorry... don't understand your comments ??

Sep 21, 2021
Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
> In the eyes of DVLA a van with windows has same rights for speed limits and mots and insurance as a motorcaravan.
Speed limmits? I dont uderstand your comment

The only restrictions on speed liits I am aware of are HGV and towing a trailer.
A van with or without windows has the same speed limmits as a car

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
> In the eyes of DVLA a van with windows has same rights for speed limits and mots and insurance as a motorcaravan.

The only restrictions on speed liits I am aware of are HGV and towing a trailer.
Vans (eg transits used by joiners, builders etc) have different speed limits than cars.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

A van with or without windows is still a van therefore restricted to lower speed limits... HOWEVER a van converted to a motorcaravan but given the category "van with windows" aka motor caravan by DVLA and unladen weight is below 3050kg has same speed limits as cars.... those above have the slower van speed limits.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Is there much point in trying to get a van reclassified as a camper van if you don't meet the requirements, high top, decals and the like?

Once I've finished my build it'll have, Windows, a Bench/Bed, running water, heater, table, lighting.

Am I right in thinking that these things used to be enough to get you classed as a camper van? But from my understanding, the best I can hope for is Van with windows, is there any benefit to getting it classed as such (if it's not a legal requirement)

Also is it actually a legal requirement to get it changed now it has windows?

Thanks.

Mark.
We have notified dvla and got van with windows on the log book. This has been asked by insurer if we notified dvla, and mot from class 7, changed to class4. Is it worth notifying? Yes, you get a covering letter, that I printed and keep it on records. It states that they know about the change and I can use it asa Motorhome, despite the appearance description being van with windows. Down the line, if SHTF, I have followed all legal steps to comply with my use.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Uhhh what?
Unless you drive a truck..... is there differnt speed limmits ?
Not that I will be pushing this gasguzler over 60mph often ... but still
Yes, lots of them especially for commercial vehicles, vans, car derived vans ,etc.
No it doesn't in a 60mph limit the van is restricted to 50 on single lane roads. On a dual acrriageway with a 70mph limit the van is restricted to 60mph.

If it is converted to a motorcaravan whether changed to "van with windows" or not it can legally attain the higher car speed limits but it is far better to actally get it changed at the dvla to " van with windows " as yo are 100% legally covered then
@Stoosal I tought 30 MPH (lets call it 50kmh) was within city limmits , or when instructed by round sign with red cirkle and 30
Outside city limmits is 60 and motorway 70 (Unless otherwise told by signs)
No on the same stretches of roads/single/double or mway there are limits for cars, vans, hgv's, coaches & all different .

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Taxation i think is the same as it was.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Stoosal I tought 30 MPH (lets call it 50kmh) was within city limmits , or when instructed by round sign with red cirkle and 30
639D63C9-BE6D-462F-86E9-2FADA5E65229.jpeg

Motorhomes over 3500kg need to keep to 50 on a single track and 60 on a dual carriageway.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Stoosal I tought 30 MPH (lets call it 50kmh) was within city limmits , or when instructed by round sign with red cirkle and 30

Raul my insurer did not yet but I am insured as "in conversion"
Is there a road tax benefit?
A van (eg a transit) is a goods vehicle so is subject to different speed limits to a car ie 30 in town, 50mph on a A/B type road, 60mph on dual carriageway and 70 on a motorway. A transit van, with a motorhome classification with an unladen weight under 3050kg, is classified as a car with the same national speed limits. A van, which has been reclassified as a van with windows and complies with definition of a motor-caravan, will have national speed limits same as a car hence reason for people reclassifying. The table shown by Swifter shows the differing limits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back