Is there any benefit of trying to get a van reclassed? (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2021
Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
Swifter Thanks
I have what is was a clas B licence : Car
Never bothered much with the busses or HGV though I am aware of speed limmitations on those , same for towing

I was not aweare of the 3.05 tonnes cutof point on small good vehicles
As 60 is the sweet spot on my transit , it does not really mater anyway, but this is really good to know

Thanks for that

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I was not aweare of the 3.05 tonnes cutof point on small good vehicles
As 60 is the sweet spot on my transit , it does not really mater anyway, but this is really good to know
EdRedBird
Just to clarify...The 《or》3050kg unladen weight ONLY applies to vehicles that are classified as "motorcaravan" or "van with windows"
It has absolutely no relevance to vehicle classed as "small goods vehicles"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
EdRedBird
Just to clarify...The 《or》3050kg unladen weight ONLY applies to vehicles that are classified as "motorcaravan" or "van with windows"
It has absolutely no relevance to vehicle classed as "small goods vehicles"

There is no reference in law to "motorcaravan" or "van with windows". For the higher speed limit to apply, it just has to have the minimum required habitation equipment (plus the 3.05t unladen weight). The DVLA's opinion on body type has no force of law. Which is why the DVLA's current stance is so unhelpful. They claim their restrictions are because the police want the record to show what the vehicle looks like in traffic. However, the police, I'm sure, would rather tell from the record what the speed limits are for the vehicles, so they can automatically issue tickets without expensive appeals due to the vehicle containing habitation equipment not visible from outside.

Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
The biggest issue is with insurance, a van with windows (your camper)will only be worth what the insurance company deem to be correct with age and millage. However, a motor caravan can be a declared value and is often 4 x what a van with windows could be worth.

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
The biggest issue is with insurance, a van with windows (your camper)will only be worth what the insurance company deem to be correct with age and millage. However, a motor caravan can be a declared value and is often 4 x what a van with windows could be worth.
But not if you have an agreed value policy with the insurer?

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
That certainly used to be the case but nowadays insurance companies accept the fact that the DVLA won't reclassify to Motor Caravan and do accept (if they ask) photographs of the habitation area etc.
I know this to be correct as I have just been calling around for insurance quotes and am aware of the questions that they ask, some just asked questions and some wanted photographs.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
All this talk about weights and classification/body type/taxation class is irrelevant when the speed limit/emission zones are involved. It all comes down to what “vehicle category” it is listed under, either M1/M2 or N1. If N1 on your V5 then it is classed as a commercial and cannot be changed*. It all comes down to how it was first registered at manufacture. The reason I know this is I own a 2011 Land Rover 110 4x4 2.4 puma diesel and have tried to re register as an overland camper conversion. It can have the taxation class changed but NOT the vehicle category, so it remains as N1. I therefore fall into speed limit restrictions and the low emission zone charges (euro5). This is very annoying when a 20yr old motorhome is OK but mine isn’t. *I have been informed that the ONLY way it can be changed is if it has a new chassis and new VIN. To replace with a new galvanised chassis is cost prohibitive for me.

Attachments

• 8BCAC198-F02D-48F9-9586-06250D78AF5C.jpeg
    8BCAC198-F02D-48F9-9586-06250D78AF5C.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 13
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Btw you need mountains and a compass to get it reclassified by DVLA......!

Cheers James
That doesn't work! Take it from me. Beautifully decorated van with windows. But I love the earnest discussion about speed limits... as if we all stick to them.... :cool:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
My Motorhome Garmin doesn’t recognise the 3050kg limit-my Hymer is 2800kg unladen but it still insists that the lower limits apply. There is a road locally to me which I drive down a lot which is a 40 limit-halfway down the Garmin pings and insists that the limit is reduced to 30-and I cannot find any way to convince it otherwise. I live just off the A1 and it insists that the speed limit is 60 rather than 70 until it gets to the bit classed as motorway then its happy……..

OP
OP
Mr Drizz

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
My insurer knows it just a van that's been converted and won't be accepted as such by the DVLA. So I have a set value (of completed conversion) Just need to send them some pictures.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
All this talk about weights and classification/body type/taxation class is irrelevant when the speed limit/emission zones are involved. It all comes down to what “vehicle category” it is listed under, either M1/M2 or N1. If N1 on your V5 then it is classed as a commercial and cannot be changed*. It all comes down to how it was first registered at manufacture. The reason I know this is I own a 2011 Land Rover 110 4x4 2.4 puma diesel and have tried to re register as an overland camper conversion. It can have the taxation class changed but NOT the vehicle category, so it remains as N1. I therefore fall into speed limit restrictions and the low emission zone charges (euro5). This is very annoying when a 20yr old motorhome is OK but mine isn’t. *I have been informed that the ONLY way it can be changed is if it has a new chassis and new VIN. To replace with a new galvanised chassis is cost prohibitive for me.

Whilst, indeed, you'd struggle to change from N1, the type approval classification has no bearing on speed limits. There is no way from viewing the information recorded on the V5C that you can determine the speed limit of the vehicle. This includes body type, weights and type approval classification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back