is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by manxies, Jul 4, 2012.

1. manxies

manxies

Ratings:
    +1
    hello all,
    finally myself and wife have decided to take plunge but are starting at the bottom of the ladder so question is i have been offered a mercedes 508d 1993 for 3500 pound,does this seem a reasonable price?,it does need some bodywork and a bit of tlc but nothing major.hope you can help

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,143
    Hi and welcome

To be honest, I realise that £3500 is a lot of money to spend, but at that level your likely to be just buying a money pit. What may seem minor tlc and a bit of bodywork is likely to cost a lot more before your finished. add what you would spend on repairing the van to your budget and buy newer if you can afford it

3. manxies

manxies

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that but what i also failed to mention was he originally wanted 6500 for it but got banned from driving and has since got a few money problems,i didnt haggle him down to that price,it was what he needed pretty smartish

4. joner8888

joner8888

Ratings:
    +1,973
    If you are handy with some tools and a bit of diy bodywork,have a go!
    At that price, whatever you do to it or spend on it, will add to the value.
    Get it to as you like it and give it a go, to see if you like the camping style:thumb:
    I have a older one and like doing odd jobs to it,then off on trips.
    Could be a hobby for you !::bigsmile:

• Like it Like it x 2
  5. manxies

manxies

Ratings:
    +1
    couldnt agree more,ive always been into boats and tinkering,im a marine engineer by trade so fixing most things isnt to much trouble

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. darklord

darklord

Ratings:
    +1,245

Have to agree there, I,m a long time mechanic and have a fair bit of equipment to hand, plus loads of mates in the trade, but an old beastie beat me. Once I got near to spending as much in parts as I paid for it (same as you)...I cut it loose at a loss. For ME, that was the best way. You, at least, have a Merc underpinning....so good luck with it.:thumb: