Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Hi

We've recently got our first MH and we're considering solar power. We're planning a 3 week trip up to Norway in August and don't know yet how often we'll be connected to power.

I have the van booked into Van Bitz in a few weeks to have an alarm fitted, they guys there also do solar panels but they appear to be considerably more expensive than other providers. Is it worth paying more and why? I know of Eddie's reputation for quality (that's why I'm travelling all the way across the country for the alarm) but need to understand the benefits where solar power is concerned.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
solar power is very much a "bespoke" accessory , as its value will very much depend on what you want to do with it and how well a system can be set up that will deliver what you want . just bunging a panel on is pretty much a waste of money :)

paying a bit "extra" can be a good investment .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From what I know of Norway stopovers, solar will be very useful. Don't expect to find EHU if you want to see the countryside.

Can't comment on prices but a typical 100W panel plus a good MPPT controller won't leave you much change out of ÂŁ200 just to buy the bits. Add in a few hours work and the result is I suspect the price you are being quoted.

I would go for a minimum of 200W as the extra cost wont, relatively speaking, be much more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Go for as much solar as you have room for, 100w minimum, 200-300 would be very nice.

BUT FIRST. Make sure you've got somewhere to store it! IMO a second leisure battery should be the first priority (after the alarm of course!).

'Taint cheap this motorhoming lark! :D

Oh yes, enjoy Norway, fabulous country.

Reactions: f6c

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi

We've recently got our first MH and we're considering solar power. We're planning a 3 week trip up to Norway in August and don't know yet how often we'll be connected to power.

I have the van booked into Van Bitz in a few weeks to have an alarm fitted, they guys there also do solar panels but they appear to be considerably more expensive than other providers. Is it worth paying more and why? I know of Eddie's reputation for quality (that's why I'm travelling all the way across the country for the alarm) but need to understand the benefits where solar power is concerned.

Thanks in advance

Mike
If you are having an alarm fitted you should get solar power unless you intend to keep it on EHU when not in use. An alarm can run the cab battery down in a week or two.
We had our solar fitted by Vanbitz, they know what they are doing, professional job.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
VanBitz certainly know what they are doing and can be recommended without hesitation.

But the first question you asked is 'Do we actually need solar?' And, as has already been suggested, it depends how you intend to use your van.

If you are on the move at least every couple of days or so, or staying on a site with electric hook-up, then you may not require it.

Fitting solar panels is VERY popular amongst Funsters, but we've managed comfortably without on three different vans in 8 years. That's largely because we fall into the category above, either regularly on the move, or using campsite hook-ups.

Of course the other factor is how much electricity you are going to consume? We don't have a TV and all the lights are LEDs, so really don't use much.

I guess, as has been mentioned already, the alarm will use a drop of juice over an extended time period if not recharging the battery by driving, or being plugged in.

Lots to think about...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Thanks for all the useful (as always) replies.

I've also had a good chat with the guys at Van Bitz today and they have sensibly advised using the van this summer to see what real usage we have before committing to the expense (how many other retailers would offer this kind of impartial advice?). We do have a TV with DVD but it's only used as a 'babysitter' for our two young kids if the weather is foul (or they are being foul), other than that I think we are just looking at a standard set up of lights, water pump etc. Our heating is diesel and the fridge can always be flicked over to gas.

There is also the option of a lithium battery to consider. As mentioned, lots to think about!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good advice from VB!

Our previous van had diesel heating and it needed a bit of 'umph' in the battery to start it, thereafter used only modest amount to run the blown air fan. But, as said, we were happy for five years without solar on that van.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I've got a 160w panel and it does seem to keep battery topped up so i would not be without a panel and i have never needed to use hookup but all my batteries are fairly new

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I had a 100w solar panel fitted together with a battery master to ensure both batteries were charged. I used to leave my MH on the EHU on the drive when parked, but now the solar panel keeps the batteries topped up all the year round, and there is a certain smugness in KNOWING that you can last almost indefinitely without EHU as long as my refillable gas tanks are kept topped up. Considering my solar panel was an "impulse buy" after winning a cash prize in a lottery, I would not be without it now!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As others have said first step is to increase your battery power and see how you get on.
We have 3 batteries and 300 watts of solar, would have more solar but have run out of roof space. We like to be self sufficient and rarely use EHU.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I would also add to make sure all your Habitation bulbs are LED. I know in these summer months, we rarely have any illumination on inside the van but in winter they are on for quite a few hours and if you have children there will be quite a few lights on.
On our Burstner, there is a single switch that powered three halogen bulbs above the cooker/sink and they used to bend the needle on the control panel when switched on (OK, slight exaggeration :whistle: ) we bought a pack of ten each G4 and MR11 led bulbs, changed all the bulbs on Habitation side and now the needle hardly flickers when the lights are on. Cost about GBP 25 for the lot and have plenty over for spares.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back