Is it weird...? (1 Viewer)

Jonny2018

Free Member
May 22, 2018
Funster No
Hi everyone!

Hope all are well! I currently live in a flat but am thinking about ditching the normal lifestyle and become a full timer in a motor home. However, one thing is holding me back. This isn't meant to be offensive, but I keep thinking it's a bit weird to live in a motor home down random streets near my flat. Is it? Or is it just a silly part of my mind telling me that? I don't have aspirations to go far or even travel much around the UK; I just want a simpler, less cluttered, more outdoors way of life in my local area.

What does everyone else think?

Thank you in advance for your advice. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Jonny :)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

It is not strange to want a simpler way of life, we swapped bricks for wheels 4 years ago and have no regrets. However, to want to then live in the same street, or near by does seem a little odd, but if it's what you want that's up to you and go for it.

There are some amazing places to wake up in, once you live on wheels, I expect your wounder lust gene will wake up.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi everyone!

Hope all are well! I currently live in a flat but am thinking about ditching the normal lifestyle and become a full timer in a motor home. However, one thing is holding me back. This isn't meant to be offensive, but I keep thinking it's a bit weird to live in a motor home down random streets near my flat. Is it? Or is it just a silly part of my mind telling me that? I don't have aspirations to go far or even travel much around the UK; I just want a simpler, less cluttered, more outdoors way of life in my local area.

What does everyone else think?

Thank you in advance for your advice. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Jonny :)

Hi Jonny - no it’s not weird - there are a few guys and gals on here that have asked similar questions. Have a look in the Forums at “Full timing” section to read their stories and the advice given - I’m sure an old boy called @Northernraider with a similar story here will have plenty to say to you :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi and welcome,
Not weird at all. My brother went full time following a divorce vowing never to go back to bricks and mortar. He is now into his 7th year, and loves it more and more each day. He spends winters in Spain, and when it's too hot he wanders somewhere cooler. He has never looked back. As he says, small home, massive garden!

Craig

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Great idea BUT its not quite so simple as that ... practicalities come to mind ... where will you get water, dump waste etc, how will you get sufficient 'power' for your needs, also check out if you are allowed to park up in your area and live in a MH as depending on where you are there may be restrictions in force. You'll need an address for mail and insurance for full-timing is expensive ... do your research extensively before taking the plunge ... your head NEEDS to rule over your heart.

I'm not saying don't do it ... just do it only IF you are sure you can be happy and accept what it takes to 'live' differently.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In 5 years your motorhome will be worth a lot less. But your house will be worth a lot more. Something to think about.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
This isn't meant to be offensive, but I keep thinking it's a bit weird to live in a motor home down random streets near my flat.
How will your neighbours react to you living on the street?
There's quite a big community in Bristol but it isn't going well.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/people-living-vans-streets-easton-538611
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/van-dwellers-lost-everything-caravan-1588989

I'm all up for full-time van living but not sure that 'on the street' is the way to go...

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Assuming you own the flat, rent it out so that, if necessary you have a fall back position.

Further, I think in your case, this is not the reason to start motorhoming. Have you considered something like a park home or similar type thing. :gum:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As many (but not all) on here know, I lived in my self converted van(s), full time for over twenty years on the streets and laybys of the UK and, in winter, latterly, popped down to the sunny south. Now retired, I tend to stay in Portugal most of the time.

I didn't park up in campsites with EHU and running water always on hand. I parked on the street, away from residents, and never caused difficulties for anyone.

Believe me, all the so called problems raised by conventional, house dwelling folk are not really problems at all. Many of these (well meaning) givers of advice have zero experience of the lifestyle. Their motorhoming is just something they do for holidays.

You do have to adapt things to this wonderful life style. You can't expect to live exactly the same way as folk do in houses.

But the advantages I enjoyed as a single bloke were numerous. The instantly noticeable one being always having money which hadn't gone in council tax, electricity bills etc.

Being totally self employed and well remunerated when working, I had freedom to go off on trips often.

The lifestyle suited me and my personality (and still does) perfectly.

Any genuine questions? Ask away (on the forum... not in PMs)

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back