Is it normal to have water sitting in shower tray hole, like a toilet u bend does?? (1 Viewer)

Darren69

Free Member
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot J5 Concorde
Hello I have recently bought a Peugeot J5 Concorde 2.5td. It has been restored in the past and now i am making good.

My question as I am a novice is my water from the shower runs away to a storage of old water tank great, but in the shower tray where water runs away, it has a level of water still staying there , like it does in a toilet , is this normal??? any help guys

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Not usually. Sometimes if vehicle is not level water may be reluctant to drain but possibly you need to unblock. Try putting a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into the plug hole followed by pint jug of warm water with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in it and replace plug for few minutes and then flush with more warm water.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Any and all waste outlets should have a ‘trap’, either directly under the outlet or located remotely, to provide a seal from the downstream pipe work/tank. If there wasn’t one you would have the noxious smells from the waste tank wafting up into the habitation area. This is usually achieved with a small amount of water but can be a mechanical ‘flap’ arrangement.

We have a large bore discharge pipe on our waste tank and if the tank is full when I open it then it can suck the shallow seal shower trap(s) dry, letting a smell into the van when driving. So I always tip a cupful of water into them before resuming.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You mean the water level is visible inside the plug hole? Yes, that's normal. Same as a domestic drain, there's a u-bend to block the smells from coming back. The grey tank can get shockingly stinky, and the air pressure created when you're driving along can make it smell like a sewer inside the van if the u bend is empty (or not fitted).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Darren69

Free Member
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot J5 Concorde
You mean the water level is visible inside the plug hole? Yes, that's normal. Same as a domestic drain, there's a u-bend to block the smells from coming back. The grey tank can get shockingly stinky, and the air pressure created when you're driving along can make it smell like a sewer inside the van if the u bend is empty (or not fitted).
yes thats exactly what i mean as hole in shower tray has water in it about 3 inches deep . It does soak away to grey tank (black in my case) but has this water retension. So its normal and to stop smells thanks.. Also in my grey tank it has lip inside so if i open the drain valve floods out underneath but it has a lip inside grey tank and about a inch of water cannot escape??? how do i completely empty the tank then ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
but it has a lip inside grey tank and about a inch of water cannot escape??? how do i completely empty the tank then ???
Open the valve and go for a drive with some decent corners.

The grey water anti dribbler police will be along soon to say that a cyclist will die as a result of doing that so be prepared :rofl:

You could install another drain valve in the bottom of the tank but I assume as the manufacturer didn't do that there's a good reason, or perhaps not maybe they were just lazy ?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Open the valve and go for a drive with some decent corners.

The grey water anti dribbler police will be along soon to say that a cyclist will die as a result of doing that so be prepared :rofl:

You could install another drain valve in the bottom of the tank but I assume as the manufacturer didn't do that there's a good reason, or perhaps not maybe they were just lazy ?
My van is similar. I've got air suspension, so I can tip the van to get more grey out. The tank is really low to the ground. Having the outlet on the bottom would mean I'd lose the tap on ever speed bump (ask Kon Tiki owners what that's like 😅).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back