Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
I'm moving house next Summer and I keep having little splurges of selling the odd thing that either I don't want to move with me or just don't use - Gumtree/eBay etc. (I'm trying to generate enough money for new upholstery and curtains for my old Hymer so that I can justify spending a lot of money on something that perhaps I shouldn't ! :D

Anyway, my "Is It Me" title refers to me selling something or trying to and getting the people that say something like :-

"I will give you a tenner because I'm having to travel from Leeds"

Why would where they are travelling from make any difference to what I either want for my item or what I think its worth !! :X3:

Grhhhh

And the people that say "I have cash can come for it now" …...now don't get me even started on these people.

Its not me is it ? …..tell me its not me and they have something wrong with them !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm moving house next Summer and I keep having little splurges of selling the odd thing that either I don't want to move with me or just don't use - Gumtree/eBay etc. (I'm trying to generate enough money for new upholstery and curtains for my old Hymer so that I can justify spending a lot of money on something that perhaps I shouldn't ! :D

Anyway, my "Is It Me" title refers to me selling something or trying to and getting the people that say something like :-

Why would where they are travelling from make any difference to what I either want for my item or what I think its worth !! :X3:

Grhhhh

And the people that say "I have cash can come for it now" …...now don't get me even started on these people.

Its not me is it ? …..tell me its not me and they have something wrong with them !
dont see any harm in asking, someone might be desperate to sell

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Think of a price you want, double it, then advertise it for sale they’ll think they’ve had a bargain (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well it's only worth what somebody will pay and the value to them is relative to what it costs which of course for them includes getting it home.

Just my take on it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Grhhhh

Nope definately not just you.

The ones I can't understand are those that make an offer without seeing it ..you accept the offer and you never hear from them again.

Or the is it still for sale ...you reply yes and again you never hear from them again.

I've had 4 offers for a car today I've said yes to 3 of them and had no reply lol

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well it's only worth what somebody will pay and the value to them is relative to what it costs which of course for them includes getting it home.

Just my take on it.

Martin
Nah it's just chancers with a poor haggling skill.
Distance travelled is no haggling point at least be inventive.

Personally if I'm making an offer which I do I either have a good reason to make a lower offer or I just keep to the truth and say this is my offer it's what I'm willing to pay end of

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I use eBay all the time, and have sold 10s of thousands of pounds on it.. from big ticket items like motorhomes, caravans, cars, boats, bicycles, and sewing machines .. and tons of other stuff.. I also buy at auctions and charity shops to sell on eBay

yes, you get the odd chancer but not that many.. any silly offers or messages are ignored.

last week I sold a porch awning, an electric wall fire and a display uint.. no problem.. all paid for at end of auction collected on time. £xxxx. easy money

I offer to post most stuff , even heavy items like sewing machines.. have even sent them to America using eBay international delivery service.. it was easy.. and since the buyer is paying the cost, no problems.

Facebook and Gumtree I won't entertain.. just a load of chancers and there are a lot of scammers.. and Pre - loved is a waste of time..

just my experience ..

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm the opposite I've sold thousands on gumtree ...my Frankia just the other week
Wasted money advertising on eBay.

I buy loads from eBay but never sell any other than the odd classified add on it.
Too much fees and too sided towards the buyer for my liking

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I sold a rubber dinghy with oars on ebay and when the guy came to collect it he said quote Can you do it any cheaper its only for my grandson ....... it went for 8 quid.Tightwad:mad:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ditto for Gumtree for selling ,not interested in getting brownie points on fleabay and more Messer's there imo ,items that sudden have a scratch ,or bid on by the dog
I sold a set of alloy wheels once to a guy in Portsmouth on eBay. He received them complained they werent as described. Did a chargeback on his credit card PayPal paid him back and tried to take the 300 quid from me.
They never bothered to have him return the wheels and were not interested when I asked them to do so.
Guy had his money back and my wheels and 500 miles between us.

I asked a solicitor to look over eBay seller buyer policy and he basically confirmed seller hasn't a leg to stand on as they want to attract and protect buyers.

I buy loads off it for that very fact..if I'm not happy with something I know it will be refunded.

But I wouldn't dream of selling anything on it through eBay again.

Classified adds are different there's no comeback and no interference by eBay.

Gumtree is free and in the last fortnight I've sold over 45k on it

Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
I use eBay all the time, and have sold 10s of thousands of pounds on it.. from big ticket items like motorhomes, caravans, cars, boats, bicycles, and sewing machines .. and tons of other stuff.. I also buy at auctions and charity shops to sell on eBay

yes, you get the odd chancer but not that many.. any silly offers or messages are ignored.

last week I sold a porch awning, an electric wall fire and a display uint.. no problem.. all paid for at end of auction collected on time. £xxxx. easy money

I offer to post most stuff , even heavy items like sewing machines.. have even sent them to America using eBay international delivery service.. it was easy.. and since the buyer is paying the cost, no problems.

Facebook and Gumtree I won't entertain.. just a load of chancers and there are a lot of scammers.. and Pre - loved is a waste of time..

just my experience ..

Are you doing this as a business? If not, a certain gov. dept. may become interested!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Gumtree is owned by Ebay. :Eeek:
It is now as ebay bought out the competition but ones free and one isn't.
The only thing with gumtree is they do sell your details which is why you often get plagued with calls from these call centres about an accident you never had.

Everytime I post an advert within 5 mins I've
020855963647 calling me and a pakistani gentleman asking me how I am and about some fictitious accident.

Must be a massive call centre as I've over 30 numbers blocked all similar to that one.

But everything I advertise does sell so it's worth the inconvenience

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
I stopped selling stuff on ebay about 3 years ago. Everything second hand is virtually worthless.
I have bought 7 of my last 8 cars (not the motorhome) on eBay with absolutely no trouble,

As far as selling is concerned and as somebody who spent a lifetime in sales and retail, I have never subscribed to the idea of inflating a price and then reducing it. I have always offered an item for a fair price that I am happy with and never accept an offer. It has always worked for me. The initial asking price is everything and as long as you are up front and give a totally honest description I have never had a problem.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I will give you a tenner because I'm having to travel from Leeds"

Yes I even get that over here. " it will be a lot of diesel" .don't come then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have you tried freecycle? I advertised a broadband modem, for free ( obviously) and someone rang and said he wanted it. He lived 7 miles away and “didn’t have a car, could I deliver it?”
I still have the modem.

OP
OP
jo10000_6

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
I have bought 7 of my last 8 cars (not the motorhome) on eBay with absolutely no trouble,

As far as selling is concerned and as somebody who spent a lifetime in sales and retail, I have never subscribed to the idea of inflating a price and then reducing it. I have always offered an item for a fair price that I am happy with and never accept an offer. It has always worked for me. The initial asking price is everything and as long as you are up front and give a totally honest description I have never had a problem.

Thank you all - lots of what you say is how I think …...it isn't me !

Anyway apologies should have put this in the other section - will put in U shaped lounge !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back