Is getting a LPG refillable system worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
north england
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Hi all, I am also thinking about getting a gaslo system fitted.
At the moment my locker has 2 x 6kg changeable bottles.
I think the locker may take 2 x 11 kg gaslow bottles, how much should I expect to pay for this ?
I would have to have them fitted as not confident enough to fit them myself.
I have been quoted £750 to £850 for this, just seems a bit expensive to me.
Ive also been quoted £150 to £250 for a external gas BBQ point ?
Am I just being tight or are these quotes both expensive ??
Cheers

May 23, 2021
Hayling Island, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhome since 2014, Caravan previously.
Definitely do it. Price wise we paid £400/£450 to have one 11kg bottle fitted and £200 for external gas point, which we use all the time.
Just top up Gaslow whenever you see it.
You can download the myLPG.eu app on your smartphone which tells you where to top up!

May 23, 2021
Hayling Island, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhome since 2014, Caravan previously.
Definitely do it. Price wise we paid approx £400 for 11kg bottle and £200 for external gas socket, which we use all the time, weather permitting.
Download the myLPG.eu app which indicates where all the stations selling LPG throughout Europe are located. Simple!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi all, I am also thinking about getting a gaslo system fitted.
At the moment my locker has 2 x 6kg changeable bottles.
I think the locker may take 2 x 11 kg gaslow bottles, how much should I expect to pay for this ?
I would have to have them fitted as not confident enough to fit them myself.
I have been quoted £750 to £850 for this, just seems a bit expensive to me.
Ive also been quoted £150 to £250 for a external gas BBQ point ?
Am I just being tight or are these quotes both expensive ??
Cheers
We’ve got two 11kgs, external filler, auto changeover and BBQ point. Probably one of our best buys for the van. We negotiated it in with the overall cost of the van, so can’t help you with prices really. (y)

Nov 10, 2012
north england
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Definitely do it. Price wise we paid approx £400 for 11kg bottle and £200 for external gas socket, which we use all the time, weather permitting.
Download the myLPG.eu app which indicates where all the stations selling LPG throughout Europe are located. Simple!
Thanks for the reply, do you think that one bottle is enough then ?
It saves about £250 on the price of two I believe. ???

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the reply, do you think that one bottle is enough then ?
It saves about £250 on the price of two I believe. ???
With non-refillables, you need 2 bottles, or you'll forever handing back expensive gas before you run out. With refillables, one is enough, because you can top up whenever. However, this does depend on your usage. If you do loads of winter wild camping, 11kg might be a bit tight. For more typical use, it's fine, especially if you drive about and there's an LPG station nearby for home top-ups.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I fitted my Gaslow system (in under an hour, including a stop for a brew) primarily for foreign touring where I've always done 90% of my motorhoming and being able to top up as and when I see an LPG filling station. The cost saving on gas was just an added bonus.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
With refillables, you need 2 bottles, or you'll forever handing back expensive gas before you run out. With refillables, one is enough, because you can top up whenever. However, this does depend on your usage. If you do loads of winter wild camping, 11kg might be a bit tight. For more typical use, it's fine, especially if you drive about and there's an LPG station nearby for home top-ups.
You may need to adjust this. I assume your first sentence is about NON refillable???

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We use one 11kg gas bottle in about a week when we go away for Xmas in Germany. The rest of the time has usage is a fair bit lower. But we use gas for all cooking, all water heating, all heating, and fridge when not driving.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have 2 x 14 kg bottles no way I would want to run with only one. If getting low and nowhere on your route to fill and nearest one is 30 miles away that's a 60 mile round trip. Far easier to know once one bottle has run out you just fill up next time you pass an lpg pump.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Same. Biggest problem is remembering how to refill when it’s typically twice per trip, every six months.

May 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4i
I have two 11kg bottles, I use one then switch to the other before filling at the first opportunity. Expensive to fit but if you tour a lot, they fund themselves long term. Especially in Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back