Is getting a LPG refillable system worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
Do it, no question. Much cheaper and essential abroad. There are some apps to show you where you can get LPG from and the price BUT at present there is a shortage and some places show as having it when they don't. I recently needed some so used an app to show garages near me and then phoned them to see if they had any. Worked out fine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
If you have a certain make of PVC, then there is no drilling whatsoever involved. Autogas Leisure 2000 fitted my GasLow 11kg, the fill pipe enters the gas locker through the floor mesh, and the fill point is securely mounted to a chassis cross member underneath the rear bumper, via a pre-existing hole. Very neat
They did ours in mid July this year, in pretty much the same way. 2 x 11kg cylinders + auto switch over, supply pipe from external refill point drilled through the mesh and away we go. We also bought the European adapters and a flexible pipe to be able to transfer the gas from the [newly bought a few weeks previously] 6kg exchangeable cylinder to the refillable cylinder but I haven't done the deed yet! Must phone John up and get him to talk me through the process again.

Steve

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Underslung is the way to go as the space saving is massive. I couldn't understand why anyone would fit any refillable system without fitting an external filling point.
Cost,ease of removal on swapping motorhome, not wanting to drill unecessary holes. Each to their own but I can't see unless fitting an underslung tank or not having enough room in the locker why anyone would fit one externally. We're probably on the 5th or 6tg year now and no one has ever asked even when an attendant filled it for us.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Depends how often you use Gas, 12Kg Propane was €12ish Spain in March this Year, 99% of Garages sell it ( Repsol or Cepsa) so just to recoup your money, you'd have to use approx a bottle Every 2 weeks for 3 yrs, thats without buying any Gas to fill the Refillable bottles... Just doesn't add up for us, and we spend every winter in the EU, mostly on EHU though... just do the sums...
Even use it in the UK, got 1 Lightweight Repsol and 1 Cepsa ready for Dec 2nd Sailing to Santander :roflmto:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not having to lift heavy bottles in and out with the associated disconnection and reconnection makes it worth the money every time.

Also I have giving back any gas I have not used when getting a new bottle ........

It's actually easier here getting a refill than swapping cylinders. I could swap in Kelso but getting the van down there (or taking the cylinders down in the car) is a hassle - much easier to fill up on my way out or way home at places I know that are actually on our routes north, south or west.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you can make underslung fit, it is the best choice. It isn't much more expensive than a cylinder based refill system and gets you free space freed up elsewhere.

We would have done that but not enough space to make it worthwhile. The underslung would have been smaller than 2 cylinders.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Also I have giving back any gas I have not used when getting a new bottle ........
'Whaddya mean, it's only 1 kilo? That's over 4 quid's worth ...' :LOL: I can hear myself saying that [because it plays like a broken record! Alongside 'You've left the gas on - again', but only when I'm feeling gallus ;)]

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exactly!!!!!! I could buy chocolate with that money.
Now you're talking ... I WOULD [and do] buy choccie with that money! My body didn't get this shape without years of dedication to pursuing the dream of the current profile ;) (y)

Steve

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Not having to lift heavy bottles in and out with the associated disconnection and reconnection makes it worth the money every time.

It's actually easier here getting a refill than swapping cylinders. I could swap in Kelso but getting the van down there (or taking the cylinders down in the car) is a hassle - much easier to fill up on my way out or way home at places I know that are actually on our routes north, south or west.
Are you from Yorkshire by any Chance ?

Get her indoors to lift them in, if one's Available... ::bigsmile:

We carry 2 Bottles, swop when they're empty, so don't give any back, you be pleased to know...

The Spanish Bottles Average 12.5Kg so have 10Kg of Gas, Refillable 11Kg have 8.8Kg ish so need filling more often Pro-rata...

Don't forget the Cost of Re-testing the Refillable bottles every 10yrs...£225ish for 2...

We all have different Views and Priorities, what we do works for us but I understand not for you, but as we only use the MoHo abroad, mostly on sites, Changable bottles work...

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I was going to get Twin Gaslow bottles fitted , however I was informed that because it was a new PVC they were unwilling to install / drill through the van to install an external fill point. They did not recommend an internal fill point.
Looks like I will go for an underslung tank now.

Ally

Here’s my Gaslow filling point…..plate attached to chassis. It’s fine in that location and no problems with it catching or grounding (unless you’re particularly clumsy with parking). It’s been towed onto the back of a recovery truck and never even got near catching on anything. It looks lower in the photos.

Also have an external gas point fitted.

However, some fitters will put the filler point in the plastic bumper, drilling into the plastic but not the metal bodywork.

68E10BE1-A37D-4CF3-A222-CE7A8A8B86F5.jpeg
F2862888-4CF6-402A-8CF3-81F7D449A0F7.jpeg

3848A06C-6799-4CF2-88AB-52BF73E25608.jpeg

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Are you from Yorkshire by any Chance ?

Get her indoors to lift them in, if one's Available... ::bigsmile:

We carry 2 Bottles, swop when they're empty, so don't give any back, you be pleased to know...

I live in Scotland and although not born in the Bonnie Country am descended from Scots and Norse on both my maternal and paternal families. - the Scots moved to Yorkshire in the 1750s (paternal to NYR and maternal to WRY) so were indeed careful with their brass.

No "her indoors" as I am the duck. Martin has had a couple of heart issues and I don't like him lifting much - also I sometimes use a wheelchair so refillable just a lot easier for us. We have one refillable Alugas bottle and in the past carried a calor "just in case" but never needed it in 10 years - it was used for village events rather than the motorhome.

Our filler is external and opposite side to the diesel. We've never been refused a fill - if I'm not sure i take the paperwork in with me and ask. Never been refused and a couple of times had assistance from people really only wanting to look at the van :) - as happened in south west Wales.

I'm not sure how common it is but locally here our oil and gas supply company (not a lot of mains gas here) have an LPG pump in their yard (Johnstons Oil in St Boswells - just off the A68). There was also an oil and gas depot on The Black Isle that had an LPG pump (sorry I don't remember the exact details - I used it about 8 years ago) so maybe that isn't too uncommon.

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
We're in Fife and had a Gaslow Refillable System in July. Makes offgrid stays so much easier. Only topped up once since the fitting. I still have the spare full 6kg bottle bought for £26.75 about 3 weeks before changing to refillable. The refill took as near to 6kg as makes no difference and cost us £6.39 at Morrisons in Kirkcaldy. There is also an Asda with an LPG pump at the other end of Kirkcaldy, so we have no excuse for not leaving home with 2 full tanks! We also bought the European Refill Adapters for when we eventually break out and head to France and/or Spain.

Steve
Good to know there are two LPG suppliers in Fife I didn’t know about. I only knew about the pump in Cowdenbeath. Thanks for that!

Jun 28, 2014
rochdale
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Good to know there are two LPG suppliers in Fife I didn’t know about. I only knew about the pump in Cowdenbeath. Thanks for that!

We’re considering changing our exchangeable gas bottles for a refillable LPG system as we have found that we prefer wild camping over sites, and LPG is cheaper to fill. However we’re reading that it’s harder to find places to fill up at - we are in Ayrshire but camp in Argyll, Dumfries and Galloway, and hoping to get across to Spain eventually- what are your experiences?
My lpg app, and carry an adaptor to fill bottles available on ebay etc

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
I live in Scotland and although not born in the Bonnie Country am descended from Scots and Norse on both my maternal and paternal families. - the Scots moved to Yorkshire in the 1750s (paternal to NYR and maternal to WRY) so were indeed careful with their brass.

No "her indoors" as I am the duck. Martin has had a couple of heart issues and I don't like him lifting much - also I sometimes use a wheelchair so refillable just a lot easier for us. We have one refillable Alugas bottle and in the past carried a calor "just in case" but never needed it in 10 years - it was used for village events rather than the motorhome.

Our filler is external and opposite side to the diesel. We've never been refused a fill - if I'm not sure i take the paperwork in with me and ask. Never been refused and a couple of times had assistance from people really only wanting to look at the van :) - as happened in south west Wales.

I'm not sure how common it is but locally here our oil and gas supply company (not a lot of mains gas here) have an LPG pump in their yard (Johnstons Oil in St Boswells - just off the A68). There was also an oil and gas depot on The Black Isle that had an LPG pump (sorry I don't remember the exact details - I used it about 8 years ago) so maybe that isn't too uncommon.
Ok,but my response was meant it Lighthearted Jest... but thanks for the History and Geography Lesson...Everyday a School Day...

There no Mains Gas close to us either, so it's the Good Old Kerosene...

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Which LPG supplier in Cowdenbeath, please, Alastair? Another option is always handy!

Steve

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
We’re considering changing our exchangeable gas bottles for a refillable LPG system as we have found that we prefer wild camping over sites, and LPG is cheaper to fill. However we’re reading that it’s harder to find places to fill up at - we are in Ayrshire but camp in Argyll, Dumfries and Galloway, and hoping to get across to Spain eventually- what are your experiences?
Need to think how long will you keep the van for? Could you recover the cost say if you sold the van in five years ?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Need to think how long will you keep the van for? Could you recover the cost say if you sold the van in five years ?

Refillable is a lot more than just cost. There are many other advantages. I doubt I'll ever recoup the cost of my underslung, given gas is only used for the hob and water heater when not on EHU. However, the convenience of topping up whenever I like and not losing a massive space to a gas locker cupboard is worth it to me. (And these days it is much easier to find an LPG pump than it is to find Calor in stock!)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Depends how often you use Gas, 12Kg Propane was €12ish Spain in March this Year, 99% of Garages sell it ( Repsol or Cepsa) so just to recoup your money, you'd have to use approx a bottle Every 2 weeks for 3 yrs, thats without buying any Gas to fill the Refillable bottles... Just doesn't add up for us, and we spend every winter in the EU, mostly on EHU though... just do the sums...
Even use it in the UK, got 1 Lightweight Repsol and 1 Cepsa ready for Dec 2nd Sailing to Santander :roflmto:
An exchange Calor 13kg cylinder costs almost £40 (plus your initial "rental" cost of £40) an lpg refill would cost you less than £14 at the garage I fill up at and would have been cheaper at my local welding supply outlet, but sadly that's closed down now.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I understand that Funsters have stripped the system out and put an exchangeable non refillable bottle in the outgoing van; and then reinstalled the refillable system in the new van ... Way beyond my expertise, but it seems to be a fairly common practice.

Steve

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I understand that Funsters have stripped the system out and put an exchangeable non refillable bottle in the outgoing van; and then reinstalled the refillable system in the new van ... Way beyond my expertise, but it seems to be a fairly common practice.

Steve
It's one reason I went for an in locker fill. The only thing to show I've been using a refillable cylinder is 4 small screwholes where the refil brackets been. It won't take much longer than swapping a cylinder to take it out.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
An exchange Calor 13kg cylinder costs almost £40 (plus your initial "rental" cost of £40) an lpg refill would cost you less than £14 at the garage I fill up at and would have been cheaper at my local welding supply outlet, but sadly that's closed down now.
Like I said, I only use Spanish Gas not Calor, so roughly a tenner for a 12.7Kg bottle...

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back