Is getting a LPG refillable system worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Get yourself a cheep Chinese heater and your gas will last for months
Nah! We only cook on gas. Quote: I was just pleased to get the bottles filled as we had so much trouble filling in Norway last time we tried.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
Have been running and cooking on LPG (Autogas) for close to 20 years, US RV had them built in when we purchased. Never had any real issues although gas prices have risen in the past years. US RV's require a good supply of gas in the winter if not hooked up so the 120 liter tank really is needed.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
When buying our MoHo as newbies we were sold a Calorlite by the dealer (Davan in Weston -s-mere), which seemed a bit churlish given we'd just handed over 10s of 1000's for the van. They never mentioned it didn't come with one until we had handed over the cash of course
Being so innocent we went off on our first trip abroad in March and soon discovered the weedy bottle didn't hold enough to keep us warm for long so had to buy a local bottle and connectors to see us through. A painful mistake that led us to refillables asap.

May 23, 2021
Hayling Island, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhome since 2014, Caravan previously.
Definitely do it, well worth it. We are in France right now, no problems filling up. Much better than carrying a spare or trying to exchange.
Get the LPG.eu App it works very well and shows all the nearest fuel stops with LPG.

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Coachbult Newbie but 45+yrs caravanning
Go for it. We have always had re-fillables, 17 years on 4 motorhomes.

Just make sure you have two, top up whenever you can. We have never run out of gas. From the Arctic circle of Norway, right through Western Europe.

Lowest price paid 28p litre in Luxembourg. Highest was Portsmouth 80p litre October 2029 . Even when the filling point says not for gas cylinders.,I ignore and fill.

We have loads where we are in Stockport, two in Javea. We even drive our LPG car to Spain and never had an issue finding gas.

No issues with regulators or appliances .
Note that you have used refillables for 17 years and wondered if you have ever had them serviced as I fitted one recently and in the small print gaslow say they need to be safety checked and service every 10-years. Not sure what the price is for the service but probably not cheap! Anybody out there had their gas bottles serviced every 10-years?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Note that you have used refillables for 17 years and wondered if you have ever had them serviced as I fitted one recently and in the small print gaslow say they need to be safety checked and service every 10-years. Not sure what the price is for the service but probably not cheap! Anybody out there had their gas bottles serviced every 10-years?
Gaslow, Gasit, Stako won't service the bottles but if you have Alugas you can have them serviced at the factory in Germany for about €75. We will probably get ours done in a couple of years when due, as we will transfer them to the next van.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
For us it's all about not having to lug about gas bottles.
In the UK there has been a reduction in garages selling lpg but one locally to us is reaping the benefits with motorhomes queueing up to refill. I asked, no chance, lpg is doing well. Have fitted both bulk underslung tanks and currently have Alugas bottles to save weight. Underslung tank previously freed up a locker that we used for the Efoy. Lithium and B2B means Efoy no longer carried.

AndyRolfe

Free Member
Sep 9, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 924F
One watch out in the UK is fuel stations like Shell stopping selling LPG (possibly switching to EV recharging).
I started using an app called myLPG.eu to find the remaining outlets.

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Gaslow, Gasit, Stako won't service the bottles but if you have Alugas you can have them serviced at the factory in Germany for about €75. We will probably get ours done in a couple of years when due, as we will transfer them to the next van.
That's very interesting Lenny, assume there is an exchange discount price for Gaslow and the others?

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
30 years on boats now MH now a chugger
I had ours fitted at Autogas2000 near Thirsk. Very good service and very knowledgeable. Dropped the van off first thing (you can overnight in their yard) and we were dropped off at the station. Had a day in York and on returning rang them and we were collected and taken back to the workshop, shown how to use the system and how to fill up. A great service and a highly recommended company.
Exactly our experience too. Great addition to the van. Created a usable rear locker too.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
There is a price for convenience, and I think, IIRC, that someone mentioned £220 for a pair of 6kg bottles. We paid £6.39 at Morrisons for a refill of just about 6kg, having paid £26.75 to exchange a 6kg bottle just before switching to refillable.

To recoup the system installation cost + cylinder service cost, we need to refill about 54 times in 10 years, or use about 33kg of gas each year. We use about 0.5kg each day for the fridge and kettle and have had 64 days away since late April. 2 more days away and that's the 2021 target hit for breakeven ... 👍🤣

Steve

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Good point

we have never kept a motorhome fir 10 years after fitting them. So never needed to have them tested.

So anyone with:

2001 Euramobil 716HB
2007 Frankia I840 rear lounge EU07**M
2013 (2009 MY) La Strada Nova M WF13**C

May be worth checking

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Good point

we have never kept a motorhome fir 10 years after fitting them. So never needed to have them tested.

So anyone with:

2001 Euramobil 716HB

May be worth checking

Good point

So anyone with:

2001 Euramobil 716HB

May be worth checking
This looks like an important safety check when buying second-hand motorhomes as even the annual service does not account for individual refillable cylinders being serviced.

Jul 2, 2017
Seagrave Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A CLASS HYMER B698
Exp
15 years
We’re considering changing our exchangeable gas bottles for a refillable LPG system as we have found that we prefer wild camping over sites, and LPG is cheaper to fill. However we’re reading that it’s harder to find places to fill up at - we are in Ayrshire but camp in Argyll, Dumfries and Galloway, and hoping to get across to Spain eventually- what are your experiences?
Morning I’m sure you can get LPG in Carlisle find app myLPG.eu all you need when traveling good luck 😉

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Morning I’m sure you can get LPG in Carlisle find app myLPG.eu all you need when traveling good luck 😉
I don't think you can get Autogas anywhere in Carlisle now. The main Calor depot removed their lpg tank a couple of years ago and their shop has been shut all through the pandemic. The couple of other garages that get mentioned only sell bottled gas. Proctors, the welding supply company and Crosby Moor Garage that did sell bulk lpg have both closed too. The nearest outlet I've found is Low Row Services on the A69 between Brampton and Haltwhistle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To recoup the system installation cost + cylinder service cost, we need to refill about 54 times in 10 years, or use about 33kg of gas each year. We use about 0.5kg each day for the fridge and kettle and have had 64 days away since late April. 2 more days away and that's the 2021 target hit for breakeven ... 👍
33kg is only 66 Lt we use approx 150 Lt a year. :giggle:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
33kg is only 66 Lt we use approx 150 Lt a year. :giggle:
But you use gas with gay abandon, and I function like my alter ego Titus A Duxass ...'Put a jumper on ... Well, put a third one on, then ...' 🤣

Domestic harmony reigns supreme (except when I open my mouth ...) 🙄

Steve

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
But you use gas with gay abandon, and I function like my alter ego Titus A Duxass ...'Put a jumper on ... Well, put a third one on, then ...' 🤣

Domestic harmony reigns supreme (except when I open my mouth ...) 🙄

Steve
Going away next weekend for three weeks. Over to France and head south…….I live in t-shirt and shorts, my wife in jumpers and woolly knickers. I want the summer quilt, she wants to take the winter one….

6m van with heating……how much lpg will I use? I’m sleeping outside! :(

May 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4i
Just filled up in France £12.50 for 15kgs. That would cost over £70 in Uk when buying bottled gas. If you use your MH a lot then I think its worthwhile to convert.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Topped up at John Stayte Services, Weston-super-Mare, this morning…....0.797 a litre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back