Is a 65cm satellite dish big enough For Europe or? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We do like our TV while away (poor sods) , but have been looking at a PVC and it seems that an 85cm dish would not fit . Are there any other suggestions as to how we can watch our TV sports etc. I am told a 65cm dish would not give coverage in the south of France/Spain/Portugal. I am also thinkIng I have been told that you can get most programmes in the above mentioned countries via your computer! But with only 12” screen it will be a hassle for both of us to watch together. Your help would be most appreciated. In our present van we a 21” tv. Colyboy

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Spain or Portugal would need a one metre dish..BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
After they modified the Astra Position back in the Naughties. We needed to share a 6ft dish at La-Manga. (to watch the rugby)(y).! there where 4 of us using it. It was also the only one that could get "East Enders"!!!! :sick:

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
We watch Everything through Sky Go on our iPads. When abroad just use a VPN as it pretends you are still in the UK. It worked as far down as Cape Verde last year.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As already said ,firestick .
Always got what I wanted to watch tethered to phone or streaming.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't use the satellite very often now, use an Android TV box prefer it to a Firestick, Firesticks are a bit limiting.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a 65cm dish and got TV down as far as Porto in Portugal.
It does depend on your sat receiver too. We have a Humax receiver fitted most of the time and it won’t pick up anything in the South of France so I swap it for a different receiver that works from there on.
A bigger dish would be a good idea though.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp

There is a Vodafone deal for £8pcm for 100Gb all of which you can use abroad. You can turn your eyes square with that amount of TV. I will never fit another Sat dish on a van.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Anyone know roughly how much data per hour is used streaming TV?

Deleted User

Set to low definition the use is around 750/800 Mb per hour, HD will probably double that.

100 Gb will give around 4.5 hours a day if not using data for anything else.

Deleted User

There is a Vodafone deal for £8pcm for 100Gb all of which you can use abroad. You can turn your eyes square with that amount of TV. I will never fit another Sat dish on a van.

Be aware that there are fair usage policies on Vodafone contracts.

This from an online chat this morning:

VOD-KeeShreshth : Alec, fair usage policy is only for unlimited price plan. If you have 100Gb data price plan, then you can use the services.

VOD-KeeShreshth : Alec, you can use the services for free of cost in Roam free destination for free of cost, and I understand that you travel a lot and you can use the services in Roam free destination for free of cost, however if its more than 90 days hence you will be charged and to use the services for free you need to bring the SIM back to UK to refresh the Netwrok.

Alec : That is clear, thank you, so why is this not made clear on your website/ You said earlier that there is no fair usage policy on this plan when there clearly is.
VOD-KeeShreshth : I am sorry about that, however thank you for sharing your feedback we will surely keep this and will work on it.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
"Here's how the streams break down on average.

• Low quality video is very low-quality. think 240p or 320p. Low-quality settings will use about 0.3GB (300MB) per hour.
  • SD quality video is standard 480p video. SD-quality video uses about 0.7GB (700MB) per hour.
  • HD quality video is between 720p and 2K (remember, the app adjusts the stream). HD-quality video uses about 0.9GB (720p), 1.5GB (1080p) and 3GB (2K) per hour.
  • UHD quality video uses a lot of data. A 4K stream uses about 7.2GB per hour."

Deleted User
1 hour of an HD programme uses roughly 1gb of data. However, most streaming services give an option to use less data at reduced quality and frankly you probably won't know the difference if you throttle it back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back