LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
People coming up the east coast seem to think there is nothing between Newcastle upon Tyne and Edinburgh (the west coast equivalent would be Carlisle and Glasgow) and miss out on such a lot.

HarryML

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Miller Indiana
Exp
Come to Falmouth, here in balmy Cornwall. 3rd best deep water Harbour in the world. Heaps of historyhere. You can stand on the stone steps on Fish Strand Quay, the very steps that the news of Nelson's death first came ashore. You can stand on the Quay where the Marines boarded the flimsy boats to accompany HMS Campbelltown on her one way trip to Dieppe.
The house where Lady Jane Killigrew, the blood thirsty Pirate boss in QE1's reign lived is still there.
Visit the Castle where the Cornish Kings Army withstood the assaults of Cromwell's "London" army for 5 months, and more and more.

But! Falmouth also has an Exeter Uni Campus in nearby Penryn, so if you and your Lady goes for a drink, be prepared for language that will make a Liverpool Docker Blush, loud music, high prices (yes folks the Students have even driven up prices in Charity Shops)
Take a tour through the main drag on a Sunday Morning and litter is strewn everywhere, Vomit, puddles of urine in Shop doorways, and the little ancient Harbour at Customs House Quay is a Sea of floating Trash.

Yes folks! Come to Falmouth, park on Pendennis Point, see the days Sun rise over the sea, give your lungs a treat of good fresh sea air. Have your photo taken with the 4 Saints in the background, St Anthony, St Mawes, St Just, and, St Just-in-Roseland, then a slow trip calling here and there, lunch maybe, down the A30 heading west.
Take the road from Hayle to Portreath (B3301), a couple of miles from Portreath, on the left, spread over a space of 2 miles or so there are 3 separate parking areas, on the cliff over looking the sea. Then watch that "day sun" of yours set over the Western Ocean.
Not Dieppe, St Nazaire, the greatest raid of all. HMS Campbeltown

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Forget the highlands and Lowlands remember the Peak District - we are at the gateway to the Peak at Chesterfield,

AND as I am aware of the Needs of Funsters, this map shows all the pubs already identified as welcoming motorhomers (as long as you give them custom - NO problem there then)

screenshot.jpg

Please note is its picture not a link

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Wells, Somerset, England's smallest City. It has the Cathedral, the Bishop's Palace with its Palace Gardens around which is the moat where a pair of Kingfishers presently hunt and reside. There's Vicarage close which is the oldest continually inhabited street in England, possibly Europe. 6 miles away is Glastonbury with the famous Tor and its Abbey. 6 miles north is Cheddar with the Gorge and caves, and above to the West is the Mendip hills. Nearby also is Wookey Hole, sith its spectacular cave system and family entertainment. Street shopping centre is also close by. There are a number of very good campsites, and plenty of walks. Generally speaking it's a great place to visit and although we do have many visitors it does surprise me that it's not more popular. Motorhome parking is not especially great but Wells Holiday park is a short walk from town and is a good campsite.

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
We are in South Lancing, West Sussex, the biggest village in England.
Lancing is not very exciting, good safe beaches, national kite surfing centre but loads of interesting places in the area.
Lancing college chapel (the C&CC do a holiday meet there I think in June).
St Marys Chuch Sompting, 11th century with Rhenish helm tower nesting in the south downs.
The lovely old village of Steyning a few miles to the north.
Fabulous walks over the South downs, a nice walk to Cissbury Ring a hill fort just north of Worthing.
Worthing 3 miles to the west with one of the best preserved traditional piers, and the Dome cinema dating back to the early 1900's.
And 8 miles to the east brash & noisy Brighton.
There are numerous villages that claim to be the largest in England. It is difficult to settle the matter as there really is no formal requirement for how big a village can be before it is deemed to be a town. However, the following are some of the country’s largest:

•Kidlington in Oxfordshire – with a population of about 15 000 people, Kidlington could be considered to be a town. However, it has never been such in the past and continues to be run by a parish council, as opposed to a town council.
•Cottingham in East Riding of Yorkshire – dating back over 1000 years, this village is home to nearly 20 000 people.
•Lancing in West Sussex – Lancing only has an area of about 9 square kilometres and is also home to approximately 20 000 people

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You can stand on the Quay where the Marines boarded the flimsy boats to accompany HMS Campbelltown on her one way trip to Dieppe.

St Nazaire surely?

:xdoh::xdoh::xdoh::xdoh::xdoh::xdoh:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Bury St Edmunds Suffolk. A beautiful town steeped in history, with an Aire, yes an aire right in the middle of it, Ram meadow car park with about 8 dedicated motorhome spots. You need a day here, many pubs and a market on Wednesday and Saturday.
Come on, you know it makes sense.
Phil. ( lived here for 46 years).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I 2nd that, we live in an area that many seem to bypass, they just seem to head for the Highlands, now they are stunning, but you miss out on the rest.
The photo's all in our local area, couple are only a short drive away........I would have put more on for you, but my PC is broken and I don't have as many good ones on this one.:confused:
View attachment 354863View attachment 354864View attachment 354865View attachment 354866View attachment 354867
We took the dog for a walk on a local beach earlier, 6 miles of sand and I could see only 20 people and two horses. For us that was busy.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I 2nd that, we live in an area that many seem to bypass, they just seem to head for the Highlands, now they are stunning, but you miss out on the rest.
The photo's all in our local area, couple are only a short drive away........I would have put more on for you, but my PC is broken and I don't have as many good ones on this one.:confused:
View attachment 354863View attachment 354864View attachment 354865View attachment 354866View attachment 354867
Any chance of a location for the sat nav ? Looks lovely

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Some amazing beaches and castles along the North East Coast near me. Craster, Beadnell and Seahouses are lovely places with great beach side camping sites. Take the boat over to holy island from seahouses and see the puffins and seals. It is also the home of grace darling. Walkworth and Bamburgh a little further past seahouses have stunning beaches and each has a beautiful castle to visit. There are some nice little tea rooms and some great pubs for grub. Plenty of spots for MH parking and over night facilities for both camp sites or wild camping spots. I would highly recommend a visit here. I'd be more than happy to help with any further info if anyone wants any as I often wild camp around this area.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Come to Falmouth, here in balmy Cornwall. 3rd best deep water Harbour in the world. Heaps of historyhere. You can stand on the stone steps on Fish Strand Quay, the very steps that the news of Nelson's death first came ashore. You can stand on the Quay where the Marines boarded the flimsy boats to accompany HMS Campbelltown on her one way trip to Dieppe.
The house where Lady Jane Killigrew, the blood thirsty Pirate boss in QE1's reign lived is still there.
Visit the Castle where the Cornish Kings Army withstood the assaults of Cromwell's "London" army for 5 months, and more and more.

But! Falmouth also has an Exeter Uni Campus in nearby Penryn, so if you and your Lady goes for a drink, be prepared for language that will make a Liverpool Docker Blush, loud music, high prices (yes folks the Students have even driven up prices in Charity Shops)
Take a tour through the main drag on a Sunday Morning and litter is strewn everywhere, Vomit, puddles of urine in Shop doorways, and the little ancient Harbour at Customs House Quay is a Sea of floating Trash.

Yes folks! Come to Falmouth, park on Pendennis Point, see the days Sun rise over the sea, give your lungs a treat of good fresh sea air. Have your photo taken with the 4 Saints in the background, St Anthony, St Mawes, St Just, and, St Just-in-Roseland, then a slow trip calling here and there, lunch maybe, down the A30 heading west.
Take the road from Hayle to Portreath (B3301), a couple of miles from Portreath, on the left, spread over a space of 2 miles or so there are 3 separate parking areas, on the cliff over looking the sea. Then watch that "day sun" of yours set over the Western Ocean.

Best port I have ever sailed into, Love the Fal....Love Falmouth, Love St Mawes...

And...I know I married a Falmouth girl... swoon swoon....??

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Happy New year you lot.....

Now then a good gang of you will be coming to The Chester Food Fair....

But did you know you can come anytime and park on the opposite side of the road in the Little Roodee car park which is a stones throw from the centre of the city centre.

Charges per 12 hr period Arrivals before 6pm: £5 (up to 12 hours) and £8 (over 12 hours). Arrivals after 6pm: £1.50.
Now those are the prices on their website.

The Market has on a Friday evening until 10pm, excellent street food and drink which is getting very popular with the locals.

Chester is a Roman walled city so you can walk all around the city on the walls and we have the famous Tudor building with the Rows, giving two tier shopping which is great for those rainy days.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Any chance of a location for the sat nav ? Looks lovely
Yes of course.
We are in a village called Dalmellington, we have the Galloway forest, Craigengillan Estate & Loch Doon on our doorstep.
Some of the other photo's are Glentrool & the Newton Stewart area.
If you need to know anything else please give us a shout.:xsmile:

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
May I suggest the harbour of Emsworth in Hampshire on the border with West Sussex, campsite abound nearby. At Southbourne the campsite is next to the main road with a pub next door and a bus stop outside so access to Emsworth is easy. Or a short cycle ride a couple of miles or a walk along the shore that is longer. See the web pages for more details.
Shhhhhhhh

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm game for a meet in Hamble. It's not far from me now, and I won some free sailing lessons in Warsash back in the 1060s.

Do they allow LDVs into Hamble? I could wash the windscreen and the lights, and wipe the windows, if I have to go up market. :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors 3 miles inland from Whitby. Whilst Whitby has decided to have overnight bans on MH parking on some previously popular car parks and roads there are still some popular wilding spots especially out of season and fantastic scenery on the moors. There are sites to choose from with a new cl in our village (not tried it) and a new rash of micro pubs in Whitby.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
campsite abound nearby. At Southbourne the campsite is next to the main road

Unfortunately this is due to shut down this year I believe :xangry:
It has been owned for years by Seaward Homes who are building the houses in the old caravan site next door.
They are planning on more houses later this year I have been told.

Shame, I only live 100 yards from the site and it is always busy, if anything it has been the busiest I have seen it this year with the site full sign out most weeks.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Unfortunately this is due to shut down this year I believe :xangry: t
It has been owned for years by Seaward Homes who are building the houses in the old caravan site next door.
They are planning on more houses later this year I have been told.

Shame, I only live 100 yards from the site and it is always busy, if anything it has been the busiest I have seen it this year with the site full sign out most weeks.
It is a handy site, there's Chichester close by, Hayling Island, the South Downs, Portsmouth, Goodwood, and so on. I've stayed there a few times, in fact it's the only C&C club site that I have actually stayed at in recent years.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Wells, Somerset, England's smallest City. It has the Cathedral, the Bishop's Palace with its Palace Gardens around which is the moat where a pair of Kingfishers presently hunt and reside. There's Vicarage close which is the oldest continually inhabited street in England, possibly Europe. 6 miles away is Glastonbury with the famous Tor and its Abbey. 6 miles north is Cheddar with the Gorge and caves, and above to the West is the Mendip hills. Nearby also is Wookey Hole, sith its spectacular cave system and family entertainment. Street shopping centre is also close by. There are a number of very good campsites, and plenty of walks. Generally speaking it's a great place to visit and although we do have many visitors it does surprise me that it's not more popular. Motorhome parking is not especially great but Wells Holiday park is a short walk from town and is a good campsite.
A walk to the Ring O Bells for a pint of Stan and one of those burgers, that the waitress can hardly lift, makes a stay there a great place.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Really enjoyed visiting Wells two years ago.

I've posted this before, but I still feel flushed with embarrassment when I think about it, apologies to anyone who's read it before :giggler:
Having just bought our first motorhome in June this year (after two years of doing our homework on here) we set off on our first trip, ten nights touring Gloucestershire, Somerset and Dorset. We had booked 3 nights at The Old Oaks near Glastonbury. On our last evening we decided that having consulted MMM's booklet, places to park your motorhome, we decided to visit nearby Wells as there was a large market on the next day. We decided that the Union Street car park would be perfect and we would be there early as I was slightly nervous about parking our 'van in a car park for the first time :whistle:

There was a handful of cars there when we arrived. We drove around to see if there was a space with an overhang where I could park our 5.99m 'van. There wasn't so I parked within a space with my tail overhanging the space behind. I went to the machine and bought two tickets and displayed both tickets ....... only to have one disappear down behind the dash never to be seen again :swear2: so off I went and bought a third ticket :mad::mad::mad: which I placed on the dash with a small clip.

While walking away I saw a 'parking attendant' leaning over the windscreen of a car. I approached him from behind and said to him, ' Excuse me I've parked my 'van over there using two spaces but I have bought two tickets. Can I park here? Is that OK?' All the time I was speaking to him he was pointing frantically to his hat. On his hat it said the words SALVATION ARMY o_O:oops::oops::oops: Never been so embarrassed:whistle: will never forget it.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp

There may be another reason why your area is bypassed and he's probably sitting not too far from you right now :rofl::rofl::rofl:
No seriously it is a lovely area which I know reasonably well. We intend visiting D & G as part of a short visit to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary at Gretna Green. We intend visiting the Lake District where we spent our honeymoon then nipping up to New England Bay then to Silver Craigs or Garlieston.
We will return again when I can shake off the shackles of work for an extended trip when I retire and can introduce my wife to parts of Scotland she's not been to yet?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
The Neuk of Fife is well worth a look. Anstruther, Criel, St Andrew's to name but a few places. A foodies paradise, particularly for fresh seafood.
Just love Fife, here is an absolutely fascinating place to visit 6 miles from St Andrews, https://www.secretbunker.co.uk/ well worth a visit

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Really enjoyed visiting Wells two years ago.

I've posted this before, but I still feel flushed with embarrassment when I think about it, apologies to anyone who's read it before :giggler:
Having just bought our first motorhome in June this year (after two years of doing our homework on here) we set off on our first trip, ten nights touring Gloucestershire, Somerset and Dorset. We had booked 3 nights at The Old Oaks near Glastonbury. On our last evening we decided that having consulted MMM's booklet, places to park your motorhome, we decided to visit nearby Wells as there was a large market on the next day. We decided that the Union Street car park would be perfect and we would be there early as I was slightly nervous about parking our 'van in a car park for the first time :whistle:

There was a handful of cars there when we arrived. We drove around to see if there was a space with an overhang where I could park our 5.99m 'van. There wasn't so I parked within a space with my tail overhanging the space behind. I went to the machine and bought two tickets and displayed both tickets ....... only to have one disappear down behind the dash never to be seen again :swear2: so off I went and bought a third ticket :mad::mad::mad: which I placed on the dash with a small clip.

While walking away I saw a 'parking attendant' leaning over the windscreen of a car. I approached him from behind and said to him, ' Excuse me I've parked my 'van over there using two spaces but I have bought two tickets. Can I park here? Is that OK?' All the time I was speaking to him he was pointing frantically to his hat. On his hat it said the words SALVATION ARMY o_O:oops::oops::oops: Never been so embarrassed:whistle: will never forget it.
I have spoken to Traffic Wardens about this, particularly in the market square, regarding overhang. They have said, that as long as the WHEELS are within the white lines, all is OK, the overhang is not an issue. This strikes me as a little odd, since overhang in the market square might obstruct the road access to the square. They insisted that that is not an issue. Personally, I wonder if this could be down to the individual warden. I might follow this up.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
I have spoken to Traffic Wardens about this, particularly in the market square, regarding overhang. They have said, that as long as the WHEELS are within the white lines, all is OK, the overhang is not an issue. This strikes me as a little odd, since overhang in the market square might obstruct the road access to the square. They insisted that that is not an issue. Personally, I wonder if this could be down to the individual warden. I might follow this up.
Interesting, I suspect it could be down to one individual. Try proving you had that conversation! Further to my post above. I was cutting across the car park a few hours later to collect a jacket out of the 'van and a 'lady' ( I use the term loosely!) asked me to move the 'van forward so that she could park in the space where my overhang was. I explained that I had purchased 2 (3!) tickets and she had a right strop!! I was half expecting to find the van damaged on my return later :whistle2:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We live in a little place called France. Some of you may have heard of it. It’s quite good for motorhoming, and you are all welcome here at any time.

But more seriously, the department we live in is called Vienne. Its administrative centre is Poitiers. Vienne is the kind of place where most people just pass through on their way to somewhere else.

But Vienne has a lot to offer, particularly if you like quiet walks through beautiful countryside. Many towns have free, quiet aires, and there is a vast network of waymarked walks. Stop at pretty much any town, large or small, and you will find a board with a map of the walks in that area.

So do consider stopping off for a few days if you’re passing through, and enjoy getting away from it all in tranquil countryside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back