Inverters - Expensive or Cheap (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I have a 300watt pure sine inverter bought and fitted in portugal for £200. Never had a moment's issue with it.

I'm a fan of smoothies and was thinking of taking my 900 watt nutribullet with me which would mean I'd need to upgrade my inverter.

Does anyone know what the difference is between paying £500+ for an inverter or paying £130 for a pure sine wave from Amazon. The reviews there seem good so I'm confused what the difference is with all these different models.

And what size would I need for a 900watt nutribullet?

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You'll find that most of the cheap "pure sine wave" models don't actually deliver a pure sine wave whatever the sellers claim.

Depending on what you're going to use it for this may or may not matter.

If you're intend using it to power something that needs a proper pure sine wave then you might find that it won't work properly with a cheap inverter or even as a worst case the inverter may fry your device.

I'm sure there are cheap ones out there that do deliver a proper pure sine but you'd need to know exactly what you were buying before risking it.

If you know you need pure sine then personally I'd advise spending the extra money on a decent one.

If all you're doing is using the nutribullet then in theory a 1000W inverter will do the job but it's never the greatest idea to run something like that maxed out permanently so I'd go for a 1500W or even 2000W model. The price difference will be minimal.

You also have to make sure that your batteries are capable of supplying that much power. 900W @ 12v is 75 amps. That means running the device for an hour would take 75 amps plus a bit for inverter inefficiency out of your leisure batteries, so half an hour would be just under 40 amps etc.

You need to a)make sure you have the capacity to do that and b)know how you're going to replace the charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Why not just take a little hand-held 200 watt electric blender with you instead, and blend in a big cup or bowl.
Much lighter to carry, you can use it with your existing inverter, and if MH got broken into and it was nicked it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Lots on ebay for maybe 15 quid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My experiences with my 1000w (Meind brand) cheap pure sine wave inverter.. Was £68 on eBay from China, the sine wave is perfect as far as I can tell, seen it on an oscilloscope (but not seen under load) runs a 700w hair dryer without even getting warm. Standby current is 0.6 amps.
Also got an expensive little 200w Studer inverter £205 mainly for the low standby current of 0.2 amps, it's for all the low wattage things, chargers etc.
They both perform their respective jobs well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back