Inverters, bike charging and other power questions. (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have two 130ah AGM batteries and 350w of solar on the roof. I understand inverters are not the best for 12v wet batteries however we have just purchased a couple of e-bikes that will need charging when we are away both their ratings are attached.

Questions are:-
2F6483B7-1104-4F5D-8C5B-B87C23308C5E.jpeg
69FEF241-F631-43F3-9656-0FBBFA4142E6.jpeg

1. What’s the smallest inverter I would have to buy to charge both bikes up simultaneously?
  2. Would a PSW inverter be more efficient than a MSW inverter?
  3. If I decided to purchase an inverter to power our small 800w microwave say a 1500w PSW would that be a heavier draw on my batteries than the small inverter when purely charging the bikes?
I know a lot of questions but the main issue is changing the bikes although if I can buy an inverter that can run the microwave on rare occasions without compromising the batteries I will buy a larger inverter. Hope that makes some sense. Thank you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The bikes (combined) will draw 46amps per hour from the batteries
The microwave is more difficult as the stated 800watt is the microwave output but a 1500watt inverter will draw 125amps at full power. Once the oven has started the amps will drop, they have a high startup current.
On top of that inverters are around 90% efficient so there will be some conversion losses.

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
For the bikes pure sine wave
42x3=126watts
42x2=84 watts
Total =210watts
Allow 250 to 300watts to allow for inefficiency.

If you run a 1500watt inverter then it will have a greater offload draw than a 300watt .
All the above assume the properly sized 12v cables

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For the bikes pure sine wave
42x3=126watts
42x2=84 watts
Total =210watts
Allow 250 to 300watts to allow for inefficiency.

If you run a 1500watt inverter then it will have a greater offload draw than a 300watt .
All the above assume the properly sized 12v cables
That's the output watts from the charger at 230vac.
The OP is looking for the inverter input battery draw

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
The relevant figures are the output ones, if you use the input ones and compare to the output then than would imply a very poor efficiency.
Output from data plates are 126watts and 84 watts, total 210 watts approx 20amps at 12volts

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I find the dialogue about input vs output watts difficult, ending my electrical knowledge at O level. I see it says 'max' against the input current, does that have a bearing?

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
I am surprised that the input MAX load of the thick end of 450watts per charger, is the determining factor as the energy required as per the output of the charger 42v at 3amps would seem to be the more relevant or the charger is hopelessly inefficient, converting 450watts input to 126 watts output 50% efficiency.
As a data point I run 1x2a and 1x4a 42v output chargers for my ebikes, simultaneously, from a 300w psw inverter with no problems and the battery monitor shows a max 20amp draw.
The reason for the apparent discrepancy may lie in the data plate saying input MAX current at a lower voltage of 110v as evidenced by the second data plate. This shows a multi voltage input feeding to a single voltage output.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
If I've followed this correctly, the answer to "Charging Electric Bikes, the Ultimate Question of Life, and Everything" is 42, calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one understands what the question is.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am also a qualified electronic engineer. However, I must disagree with your opening statement. Input ratings for power supplies are normally a load of balls. Typically they give input currents far in excess of what is actually drawn. Output ratings suitably adjusted for likely efficiency are normally far more reliable for actual loadings.

For example, the first power supply I looked at sitting in front of me is rated input: 100-240V 1.8A (max) and the output is 12V, 5A. This PSU is capable of providing up to 60W. Using the minimum input voltage, that input rating is 180W. I can assure you, that if this small plastic cased power supply was supplying the full 60W and, hence, dissipating 120W, my house would be on fire and I wouldn't be writing this message. The house, however, is not on fire, and the power supply box is only very slightly warmer than its surroundings.

I also disagree that the quiescent power of a large inverter and a small inverter are the same. A 150W inverter not actually supplying a load will typically draw far less current than a 3kW inverter also not supply anything. They may have similar efficiencies at their rating load, but at low loads, the smaller inverter will win every time.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Input ratings for power supplies are normally a load of balls. Typically they give input currents far in excess of what is actually drawn. Output ratings suitably adjusted for likely efficiency are normally far more reliable for actual loadings.
That's very probably true but it's down to the op how much he wants to risk it.

I also disagree that the quiescent power of a large inverter and a small inverter are the same. A 150W inverter not actually supplying a load will typically draw far less current than a 3kW inverter also not supply anything. They may have similar efficiencies at their rating load, but at low loads, the smaller inverter will win every time.
Definitely true, our little PSW 200w inverter takes 0.2amps 😍
I'm also qualified, City & Guilds level 3, mind you I've forgotten most of it 😂

Lenny HB autorouter what are your thoughts on this?

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have two 130ah AGM batteries and 350w of solar on the roof. I understand inverters are not the best for 12v wet batteries however we have just purchased a couple of e-bikes that will need charging when we are away both their ratings are attached.

Questions are:-View attachment 478172View attachment 478174
  1. What’s the smallest inverter I would have to buy to charge both bikes up simultaneously?
  2. Would a PSW inverter be more efficient than a MSW inverter?
  3. If I decided to purchase an inverter to power our small 800w microwave say a 1500w PSW would that be a heavier draw on my batteries than the small inverter when purely charging the bikes?
I know a lot of questions but the main issue is changing the bikes although if I can buy an inverter that can run the microwave on rare occasions without compromising the batteries I will buy a larger inverter. Hope that makes some sense. Thank you

What about this option!

Thread 'Been thinking about fitting an inverter,but.....'
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/been-thinking-about-fitting-an-inverter-but.234149/

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When I wanted to size up an inverter for use in the van I ran the devices at home on mains using a small power monitor, very cheap. This shows the amps and wattage used by the device. This gave me piece of mind and showed that calculated draw never matched the actual draw. The debate about power draw calculated from labels make me laugh as it is all academic the only way to be precise is to measure it especially bike chargers and coffee machines.

In your case to be safe I would get at least an 1000w PSW and maybe 1200w.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I wanted to size up an inverter for use in the van I ran the devices at home on mains using a small power monitor, very cheap. This shows the amps and wattage used by the device. This gave me piece of mind and showed that calculated draw never matched the actual draw. The debate about power draw calculated from labels make me laugh as it is all academic the only way to be precise is to measure it especially bike chargers and coffee machines.

Many thanks for the clarity. I clearly understand the requirement for measurement in order to size an inverter correctly, however having said that in your opinion are you saying that a 1200w inverter would charge up both my bike batteries simultaneously or my 800w microwave occasionally?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks for the clarity. I clearly understand the requirement for measurement in order to size an inverter correctly, however having said that in your opinion are you saying that a 1200w inverter would charge up both my bike batteries simultaneously or my 800w microwave occasionally?

I have 2 ebikes and was surprised at how low the draw was in reality compared to the calculated input figures. My 1000w PSW Inverter works well and is perfect for topping up both ebikes when needed (also a bread maker😁 monitor really helped here) , I have about 160ah batteries total.

I have no experience of a microwave in a van but if it says 800w a 1000w inverter should be fine ( monitor will confirm). I only suggested 1200w as although bigger than required it is sometimes more efficient. I found previously that an inverter working close to it limits was noisy and not as efficient. When I was looking it was an option as a good range available and not that much bigger. As it was I found a 1000w that fitted in neatly and at the right price.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have 2 ebikes and was surprised at how low the draw was in reality compared to the calculated input figures. My 1000w PSW Inverter works well and is perfect for topping up both ebikes when needed (also a bread maker😁 monitor really helped here) , I have about 160ah batteries total.

I have no experience of a microwave in a van but if it says 800w a 1000w inverter should be fine ( monitor will confirm). I only suggested 1200w as although bigger than required it is sometimes more efficient. I found previously that an inverter working close to it limits was noisy and not as efficient. When I was looking it was an option as a good range available and not that much bigger. As it was I found a 1000w that fitted in neatly and at the right price.
Remember that microwaves are sold by output power and aren't anywhere near 100% efficient, so input power is significantly more, often with large inrush currents.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Remember that microwaves are sold by output power and aren't anywhere near 100% efficient, so input power is significantly more, often with large inrush currents.
Hence why it might be wise to use a monitor🤔

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

The reason I went for the EcoFlow was the time it takes to charge, which is about hour and a half from flat. We're as the poweroak can take anything up to 8 hours from flat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am also a qualified electronic engineer. However, I must disagree with your opening statement. Input ratings for power supplies are normally a load of balls. Typically they give input currents far in excess of what is actually drawn. Output ratings suitably adjusted for likely efficiency are normally far more reliable for actual loadings.
Generally yes but our Bosch e-bike chargers are rated at 1.5 amps at 230 volts and thats what they take, when running from the inverter the 12v current draw is over 30 amps.
Yep, our 1000w inverter draws 2 amps with no load.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back