Inverter wiring

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Hu

I have an existing inverter fitted into our Adria Sonic, the way it’s wired appears to be a single socket, looks like a factory socket already fitted into the van. My question is that I would like every socket available from the inverter if possible.

Is it as simple as tap into the main socket ring and discard the current single socket setup?

Can someone advise the best way of changing the existing setup, which like I say is just coming from the output of the inverter to one single socket

Thanks in advance

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
AFAIK you can't just add it into the existing mains circuit. At the very least you should have kill switches on both so that you can manually choose which to use. That or you should buy a combined Inverter/charger which will automatically switch. I think the Victron one will also allow the inverter to boost a low current EHU supply.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You need to fit a changeover switch or relay, I fitted a relay so the sockets automatically change over from the invert to the mains input when I connect to EHU. That is probably too complicated for easier to fit a two way changeover switch.
You have to do some rewiring on the mains side as you only want the fridge & charger connected when on EHU they need to be disconnected when running from the inverter.

This is what I did on my van, you can substitute the relay for a switch.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
You absolutely DO NOT connect the output of the inverter to any sockets that are connected to the EHU. That is a guaranteed way to make a big bang and destroy equipment as soon as you plug in the hookup.

If you are happy with the inverter you have, but want to be able to use a specific socket/sockets on Inverter or on EHU, then you have 2 options:
Manual Switch - There are a few around. This one is top quality. Where it says "GEN IN" is where the Inverter output goes. Where it says "MAINS IN" is where the EHU feed goes. Then works as the instructions say ... DOWN is GEN (Inverter) ON, UP is EHU ON.
1664185477788.png

Or get an ATS - Automatic Transfer Switch. Same principle but it automatically detects a live hookup and flips the connection over to EHU. and when EHU is off, it flips back to Inverter.

Both require recabling of the sockets at some suitable place. Where you do that depends on the van; How you do that is what the electrician you employ to do the job can show you.

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Thanks everyone, exactly what I needed to know and now all makes sense, perhaps one to leave as is and not muck around lol 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks everyone, exactly what I needed to know and now all makes sense, perhaps one to leave as is and not muck around lol 😂
That is what I decided when I fitted my inverter. I just decided to use one socket dedicated only for the output of the inverter. The radial wiring system that Hymer used made it easy once I bought one of the connectors they used.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The other option is to fit two or three sockets linked just to the inverter. It depends where you want them and how easy it is to run a suitable cable.

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
The other option is to fit two or three sockets linked just to the inverter. It depends where you want them and how easy it is to run a suitable cable.
Yep, good call, the one that’s there now is in a totally useless position, so will need to see if I can get “around” the van without any surface mounting 👍

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Yep, good call, the one that’s there now is in a totally useless position, so will need to see if I can get “around” the van without any surface mounting 👍
As a get around solution until I get time to sort it all out properly I removed the cables feeding a couple of sockets from the consumer unit. On my Adria each socket and cables are individual. I then put a three pin plug on the cable end that originally was connected via the consumer unit.
I then installed a double socket fed from the consumer unit (all of which are in the same location, under the side seat)
I then installed a 2kw pure sine wave inverter, with two three pin sockets in the same location.

If I now want to use the sockets that I removed from the consumer unit supply I can either plug them into the double socket and use them on EHU or plug them into the inverter and use them when we're not on EHU.

It's a faff having to plug and unplug and turn the inverter in and off BUT it's only a temp solution until I sort it out properly with an auto changeover switch and rewire the on off switch on the inverter so I can reach it easier (I lost the remote for the inverter ....)

Hope that all makes sense. I got some great advice on here from some very knowledgeable people, who helped me think it through properly and really get my head around it.

If you do some searching I'm sure you'll find a few threads on here where others have been through the same process !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had auto switch over and all sockets live on previous motorhome but on this one I've just done a single socket. Normally only used for the hairdryer and very occasionally for the kettle. Gas or 12v for everything else.
If stuck for something to do I might elaborate the system but not any priority.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is a thread in my signature from when I did this with the help of the forum.

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Thanks everyone for the replies yesterday, very helpful, and not one to give up thought I would look at what details I have on my inverter, and it appears from the model and serial number that it’s an NDS SP2000i, which when reading on NDS site means it has an integrated priority system - is my reading correct then that this there has the ability to detect mains current and switch between the two automatically, in which case I could just run a spur from the existing socket location (crap location) and run one more to nearer the kitchen for the wife’s domestic duties 🙈🙈

this is the link to my inverter which as I say is a NDS SP2000i, which has IVT technology ?

sorry for more questions

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks everyone for the replies yesterday, very helpful, and not one to give up thought I would look at what details I have on my inverter, and it appears from the model and serial number that it’s an NDS SP2000i, which when reading on NDS site means it has an integrated priority system - is my reading correct then that this there has the ability to detect mains current and switch between the two automatically, in which case I could just run a spur from the existing socket location (crap location) and run one more to nearer the kitchen for the wife’s domestic duties 🙈🙈

this is the link to my inverter which as I say is a NDS SP2000i, which has IVT technology ?

sorry for more questions
So it should have a socket for 230v in as well as out ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back