Internal dimensions (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Newstar 58L
Exp
Newb
Hi guys and gals,

looking to start my first pvc in the coming months, I have a good idea of everything I need or want internally but I’m going backwards and forwards with van choice so need some help.

i’m set on a rear fixed bed across the van, what are my options?

looking at Sevel range but auto box is high on my list, would a sprinter or crafter do?

OP
OP
S
Jul 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Newstar 58L
Exp
Newb
Is there somewhere that lists all the important dimensions for reference?

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi , sevel range will give you a 6ft across bed, whereas Sprinters, transit will not.
bed across means that you have more space towards front for kitchen/toilet etc.
you said fixed but think about folding or as we have a metal frame that just slides out in 10 seconds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Of the Sevel vans, I believe only the Fiats offer the option of auto transmission

Sevel vans are the only ones that can accommodate a transverse bed long enough to be accepted by DVLA to be classified as a 'motor caravan' - that said, achieving this has become more difficult, worth doing a search on here

Dependent on the age of the van you are looking to purchase, earlier transits, mercs & vws are rust buckets - later ones are galvanised (who would have thought I bought a Peugeot instead of a merc of vw because of rust - but I did!)

In terms of accessories/conversion components they are generally more available for the Sevel vans than the others, as they are the most popular base van/chassis for moho manufactures

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Of the Sevel vans, I believe only the Fiats offer the option of auto transmission

Sevel vans are the only ones that can accommodate a transverse bed long enough to be accepted by DVLA to be classified as a 'motor caravan' - that said, achieving this has become more difficult, worth doing a search on here

Dependent on the age of the van you are looking to purchase, earlier transits, mercs & vws are rust buckets - later ones are galvanised (who would have thought I bought a Peugeot instead of a merc of vw because of rust - but I did!)

In terms of accessories/conversion components they are generally more available for the Sevel vans than the others, as they are the most popular base van/chassis for moho manufactures
forget DVLA reclassifying van as Motorcaravan, at present no matter how close to their specs you convert Yours, they will only reclassify as Van with Windows ! Not that it makes much difference. They did say to me that because my bed was 6ft I can continue to use it as a motorcaravan, very good of them to let me.🤪

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ducato's are often the best option for PVC's, more layouts available due to the extra width. From around Sep last year a proper 9 speed auto is an option before that it was the Comformatic box which is pretty good (I'm on my 2nd van with it).

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Ducato's are often the best option for PVC's, more layouts available due to the extra width. From around Sep last year a proper 9 speed auto is an option before that it was the Comformatic box which is pretty good (I'm on my 2nd van with it).
And Citroen Relays, if you are happy with manual box, the Citroen engine is better than the a Fiat IMHO and Citroen pricing is better usually.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jul 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Newstar 58L
Exp
Newb
Thanks for all the replys guys,

So could I fit a standard 190cm double mattress across a crafter? After insulation and paneling..

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My understanding is that there are no recent panel vans that can have a standard domestic bed length fitted transversly. Such vans did exist in the past and I may be wrong about the current situation, but if there is one, it isn't a common one!

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
My understanding is that there are no recent panel vans that can have a standard domestic bed length fitted transversly. Such vans did exist in the past and I may be wrong about the current situation, but if there is one, it isn't a common one!
look at Ducato/boxerbRelay ( Seval vans) all will let you have a standard double bed 6ft by 4.6 transverse, which is what I have, very comfortable. Just measured it and it’s 72 ins from wall to wall with 4 seasons insulation.

No transit will give you the room and the Sprinter/ Crafter range are narrower too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
look at Ducato/boxerbRelay ( Seval vans) all will let you have a standard double bed 6ft by 4.6 transverse, which is what I have, very comfortable.

6ft is not the standard double bed length. Standard UK Double is 6'3" x 4'6" (190 x 135).

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I stand corrected 👍🏻Does the extra 3 ins make the difference ?
less insulation then 😱

It does for me. I'm 6'2". You can't reduce insulation, as the maximum width is determined by the reinforcement ribs.

TBH, the 190x120 bed I've fitted in ours only works because it is longitudinal and my toes can poke out the end. At home, the bed is 200x150 (i.e. King Size), which works fine.

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
It does for me. I'm 6'2". You can't reduce insulation, as the maximum width is determined by the reinforcement ribs.

TBH, the 190x120 bed I've fitted in ours only works because it is longitudinal and my toes can poke out the end. At home, the bed is 200x150 (i.e. King Size), which works fine.
We have a swift mondial on a Peugeot boxer and we have a standard double mattress across the rear. We took it of a bed at home so we know it’s standard

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a swift mondial on a Peugeot boxer and we have a standard double mattress across the rear. We took it of a bed at home so we know it’s standard

I wonder if they removed the offending ribs and replaced with a lower profile reinforcement?

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
1599423935466.jpeg
It is like this, but we have it permanently made up as a double bed. Our double mattress fits exactly!

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
View attachment 422756It is like this, but we have it permanently made up as a double bed. Our double mattress fits exactly!

Out of interest, what is the actual dimension wall to wall? Certainly from the pics, it looks like they've modified the walls to be thinner. The window certainly looks very low profile.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
The Hymercar Grand Canyon is based on a Sprinter but they have modified the sides to accommodate a bulge for a longer bed...

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

Shouldn’t have stood in the grow bag for so long 😉

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back