Free Member
May 5, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
i own a Hymer motorhome in U.K. and insurance is a pain. I have a UK passport and drivers licence having lived in U.K.
Have owned a motorhome for 5 years , no claims
Insurance companies can insure non residents but have a policy ( excuse the pun) of only covering full time residents
Does anyone know of a company that will insure a non residents motorhome
We visit U.K. every year for about 3 months and travel U.K. and Europe , have never had a accident,.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
P M @Kiwi Coss he'll give you the bulli

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2Aussies

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
GLENBROOK NSW
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Try Ian Scott at Milestonehouse Insurances +44 (0) 7985 222 806

I am a non resident (UK)

Insured with him this week over the phone and email from Australia.

Saved 400 quid compared to Downunder Insurance

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Where is the vehicle registered to in the UK? Could you not use that as the address for insurance?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
i own a Hymer motorhome in U.K. and insurance is a pain. I have a UK passport and drivers licence having lived in U.K.
Have owned a motorhome for 5 years , no claims
Insurance companies can insure non residents but have a policy ( excuse the pun) of only covering full time residents
Does anyone know of a company that will insure a non residents motorhome
We visit U.K. every year for about 3 months and travel U.K. and Europe , have never had a accident,.
Given that you are required to register your presence in almost every EU country after 90 days there, why not do so and therefore assume residential status. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/workers/index_en.htm

And also Chapter 3, Article 6 of EU Directive 2004/38/EC:

Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for a period of up to three months without any conditions or any formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport

After that, insurance will be a breeze

You also need to bear in mind that a vehicle may usually only be used for up to 6 months away from the country of registration, after which you may become liable to be fined if you fail to meet the requirements of the country in which you are situated.

Council Directive 83/182/EEC Article 3:

Where a private vehicle, caravan, pleasure boat, private aircraft, tricycle or bicycle is imported temporarily, the item imported shall be exempt from the taxes specified in Article 1 for a period, continuous or otherwise, of not more than six months in any 12 months, provided that: (a) the individual importing such goods: (aa) has his normal residence in a Member State other than the Member State of temporary importation

In other words, the allowance of up to 6 months doesn't apply if you have registered your presence as required in the preceding legislation.

All on the EU site http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm

And that last one may cause you problems. Lots get away with being in another EU country for longer than 3 months, and keeping their vehicle for longer than 6 months,, but I have also known people who find out (after the event) that they are uninsured and ended up with a criminal record and massive fines. I also know first hand of two people whose vehicles have been impounded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

2Aussies

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
GLENBROOK NSW
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
DanielFord; address is the dealer who stores it for me. All other insurances require residents only insurance as opposed to mailing address

Kiamraha

Free Member
Jul 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 55
Try Ian Scott at Milestonehouse Insurances +44 (0) 7985 222 806

I am a non resident (UK)

Insured with him this week over the phone and email from Australia.

Saved 400 quid compared to Downunder Insurance
Hi
What did your Premium cost? How long did you insure for?

Thanks

Harry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back