Insulation of water and waste tanks (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2023
Minera, Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 445
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking for information whether I can insulate my water and waste tanks please.
I bought an old 1999 fiat auto trailer last January and the main time I will use it will be autumn/winter time.
I am away at the moment and have got up this morning with frozen water tank is it possible to insulate them
Thanks in advance

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Unless you apply warmth to the tank it matters little how much insulation (cladding) you fit because the water temp will eventually drop to ambient. If any water supply pipes are external they will also freeze.
Are the tanks internal (e.g. in an inside locker) or underslung?
Do you have a large battery capacity and a method of charging them or are you on EHU?

OP
OP
D
Feb 26, 2023
Minera, Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 445
Exp
I'm a newbie
Unless you apply warmth to the tank it matters little how much insulation (cladding) you fit because the water temp will eventually drop to ambient. If any water supply pipes are external they will also freeze.
Are the tanks internal (e.g. in an inside locker) or underslung?
Do you have a large battery capacity and a method of charging them or are you on EHU?
Thanks for the prompt reply.
My tanks are under slung, I don’t have a large battery capacity but have solar panels fitted earlier this year , (300)
I am trying to stay away from EHU
I might be able to expand the area where the battery is but will need professional advice on that

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm afraid I can't provide much additional help as I only motorhome in Gentlemen's temps.
Some 'winterised' m/homes (mainly from continental manufacturers) have heated tanks and internal piping but I think that without EHU you'd be hard pressed to electrically heat yours, especially since solar yield is generally poor in the UK at this time of year.
As you are no doubt aware freezing temps can cause damage to taps, filters and pumps and burst pipe fittings.
My simple yet inconvenient solution would be to drain down and use a day container kept inside the m/h. Failing that I'd winter in Southern Spain. ;)
Maybe someone has a better solution.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Anything external will need electric heating pads and tape to stand a chance , insulation will help with efficiency
but will still require a pretty serious amount of energy . Pretty much any unit designed for sub zero conditions will have it all internal , and heated .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can you get a housing around the tanks? German vans with underslung tanks have a housing around the tank with insulation and a feed from the blow air heating system, it works well.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Take a look on Amazon, I purchased a couple of Heater pads and had them stuck to the underside of the tanks then sticky foam sheet stuck to tanks and pipe foil wrap wrapped around the pipes. As others have said the insulation will only slow the temp drop down, the heater pads will keep the chill off the tanks. I don’t see a big draw on the batteries when the heater pads are switched on but then I don’t have a real way of checking that they are working as they are covered.

OP
OP
D
Feb 26, 2023
Minera, Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 445
Exp
I'm a newbie
Take a look on Amazon, I purchased a couple of Heater pads and had them stuck to the underside of the tanks then sticky foam sheet stuck to tanks and pipe foil wrap wrapped around the pipes. As others have said the insulation will only slow the temp drop down, the heater pads will keep the chill off the tanks. I don’t see a big draw on the batteries when the heater pads are switched on but then I don’t have a real way of checking that they are working as they are covered.
Thanks for that

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you can buy and install heating elements and or use heat pads. the amp drain is minimal, and worth it, you would also need to lag it it depends if its the fresh or the waste that is concerning you most.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Either use a 5 or 10litre container or for a more permanent solution you may be able to fit a second or replacement freshwater tank inside, ideally under a seat with a hot air pipe passing through.
The waste tank you can leave the drain tap open with a bucket underneath.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back