Inflatable kayak (1 Viewer)

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Any recommendations for a decent inflatable kayak to take in the van? My wife and I did a one day canoe on the river Wye last summer and really enjoyed it so I'm thinking of getting a two man inflatable we can keep/take in the van. Only for sunny day canal or lake use although a trip to France or even the Italian lakes might be on the cards next year so not an Aldi or Lidl one but not too expensive either.
Any ideas?
We used to have a Sevylor Canyon 2 man Kayak which was excellent. Would certainly recommend. Used for about 5 years before it needed to be replaced. Went for 2 Fatstick SUP’s with removable seats next. Both options very good. Just remember there are vast differences in the quality of the materials used. Cheaper generally means lower inflation and thinner materials are used. This impacts on stability and means they are less manoeuvrable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We have one of these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-touring-kayak-2-3-places-orange/_/R-p-163733
For us it's just for fun: we've taken it out on lakes and down the Ardeche river and had a great time.
2020-09-12 15.56.13.jpg

But we're very much beginners and just having a bit of fun. It doesn't track particularly well (or maybe we're just no good at paddling lol) but it doesn't take up much space, it's easy to inflate/deflate and doesn't cost the earth, so it suits us fine 😉

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would recommend an electric pump. Particularly if higher pressures are required. The SUP we have is 16psi. It’s fairly easy to get to 10psi but the journey from 10 to 16 is not that easy. :)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Had our Sevylor out today
I would agree they are not quite as good as the Gumotex but are very close
Advantage if you had a failed gland they are replaceable

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree the type with inner bladders are hard to dry. They are also much heavier when wet which can cause payload problems. Our ten year old Sevylors still work but all the zips have corroded so now impossible to speed up drying by removing the bladders. Looking to buy a couple of Gumotex Twist 1 kayaks. Expensive at around £430 each so looking for used ones, no luck so far.
That's the one I have, brilliant kayak, very manoeuvrable and keeps a straight line too despite it's shorter length.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would recommend an electric pump. Particularly if higher pressures are required. The SUP we have is 16psi. It’s fairly easy to get to 10psi but the journey from 10 to 16 is not that easy. :)
SUPs have a very, very high pressure requirement due to you standing on them but a kayak is a lot less, although this does vary depending on each manufacturer. We have no problem with inflating my Gumotex with a double action pump - we did get an electric pump but it took an absolute age to inflate - I'd be too impatient to get on the water to wait for it to inflate fully! :giggle:

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
We bought a really good electric pump which inflates up to 20 psi. Cost around £60 but does the job in fraction of time of double action foot pump and with far less exertion!

AOLVO Electric Air Pump for Inflatable Boat, with Preset PSI Auto Shutdown, Max 20 PSI and 6 additional air pump adapters for inflating SUP boards​

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We’ve used Sevylor ones and been fine, though prefer our rigid ones. But I’m struggling to find anyone in the South that I can discuss roof rack options.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!

These are the kayaks we have.
They look good value, as Gumotex appear to be double the price for their drop stitch range.
How long have you had them?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the information. Gumotex seems to be favourite. The retailers all seem to be on the south coast so I'll have to plan a weekend that way. 👍
Just ring before you set off, I've been trying to buy a rigid kayak from Manchester canoes for over twelve months. They have had so little stock it's not been worth while opening the shop.
Plus 1 for Gumotex though, I have a twist 2 (after recommations on here)and it's given sterling service all over Europe.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They look good value, as Gumotex appear to be double the price for their drop stitch range.
I suspect the reason for the price difference is the material used but I can't see any reference at all to what it is made of so suspect it's nothing special other than it being drop-stitch, however if it does what you want and you don't intend to take it anywhere that it could be damaged by rocks etc it should be okay. I've been in various places with my Gumotex where one which wasn't so well built and tough would certainly be damaged, mine didn't even get a scuff.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I suspect the reason for the price difference is the material used but I can't see any reference at all to what it is made of so suspect it's nothing special other than it being drop-stitch, however if it does what you want and you don't intend to take it anywhere that it could be damaged by rocks etc it should be okay. I've been in various places with my Gumotex where one which wasn't so well built and tough would certainly be damaged, mine didn't even get a scuff.
Which Gumotex have you got?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Had our Sevylor out today
I would agree they are not quite as good as the Gumotex but are very close
Advantage if you had a failed gland they are replaceable
I just whack a patch on any mishaps, like the one's shown here in the photos. These both happened on the same river, namely the Mole near the "stepping stones" at Box Hill, Surrey. they were both well over 6" long, but
20210531_171226.jpg
20210607_204507.jpg
20210607_204818.jpg
a patch inside and out has it soon sorted, and back in action. The pressure for the hulls on the Gumotex is a nominal 3psi, I pumped in 6 psi to check the repair, better to fail in the garage than out on the water :frowny:.
All good, no problems. It took a couple of hours to sort and well within the scope of anyone who can mend a bicycle inner tube.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Fantastically helpful thread [as ever ] thank you all. I drove to Telford to get the [possibly last one in uk] an inflatable kayak from Decalthlon- no online ones available- none in any other stores as far as I could see. When I got there the shelves were bare - but we are now [in my case slightly dubious ] owners of an Itiwit 100 plus . Inflated it in house [OMG it is huge :eek:] borrowed paddles now hoping to have a splatter on the river here tomorow - our proper paddles still on order. Hoping to get another one when in Devon later in the year.
Everyone in UK now apparently gone mad 'Messing about on a River '

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Which Gumotex have you got?

We've had a few different Gumotex canoes/kayaks (Palava, Sunny, Solar, Junior, Helios 1, Twist 1 lite-pac and Twist 1 Nitrilon) but I've now got a Gumotex Twist 1 full Nitrilon version, prior to that hubby and I each had a Twist 1 light-pac which had the Nitrilon hull but softer material on the inner which made them a bit lighter however the downside was that the softer slightly flock-like material got 'damp' so we had to ensure they were totally dry to avoid marks/mould etc which obviously took a lot longer.

When hubby decided he didn't want to kayak anymore (he'd never been that bothered anyway) we sold them and I treated myself to the full Nitrilon version of the Twist 1 (not produced when we bought the others) and it has proved to be a great 'investment', I can't see me changing it for a long time as it performs very well on the water, both for distance and also for having a play round obstacles etc, oh and it is durable enough so that I don't have to worry about my dogs jumping in and out of it!

Below are photos of Lily and Tazzy in my Helios 1, Tazzy perched on the front of it, and also us and our 3 dogs in the Palava - you can just spot one dog at the front, one in the middle and another is at the back laid down behind hubby!

helios 1.jpg
helios 3.jpg
canoe.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We've had a few different Gumotex canoes/kayaks (Palava, Sunny, Solar, Junior, Helios 1, Twist 1 lite-pac and Twist 1 Nitrilon) but I've now got a Gumotex Twist 1 full Nitrilon version, prior to that hubby and I each had a Twist 1 light-pac which had the Nitrilon hull but softer material on the inner which made them a bit lighter however the downside was that the softer slightly flock-like material got 'damp' so we had to ensure they were totally dry to avoid marks/mould etc which obviously took a lot longer.

When hubby decided he didn't want to kayak anymore (he'd never been that bothered anyway) we sold them and I treated myself to the full Nitrilon version of the Twist 1 (not produced when we bought the others) and it has proved to be a great 'investment', I can't see me changing it for a long time as it performs very well on the water, both for distance and also for having a play round obstacles etc, oh and it is durable enough so that I don't have to worry about my dogs jumping in and out of it!

Below are photos of Lily and Tazzy in my Helios 1, Tazzy perched on the front of it, and also us and our 3 dogs in the Palava - you can just spot one dog at the front, one in the middle and another is at the back laid down behind hubby!

View attachment 504664View attachment 504665View attachment 504666
Great pics! Does the Gumotex Twist 1 use this drop stitch construction?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I've had mine about 18 months or 2 years and it has only been wet once :( Martin's arrived just before lock down and has never been wet.

My main consideration when choosing them was that I have dicky hips following an accident and need a wide boat. The Gumotex and Itiwit were not wide enough to take my squashed pelvis.

I've had a bit of a disaster with Sevylor many years ago (they are probably much better now) when on the first day of a multi-day expedition firstly a valve failed and then a seam failed (the boat was not over inflated just badly made) which was the end of my trip and the end of the kayak as it was beyond repair. I said never again to that make after abysmal customer service.

Is there a weight limit on these?

Asking for a friend :whistle2:

Not as silly a question as one would think! And yes, there is so worth checking the payload for the boat you want and factor in all the equipment you will be carrying ..... tow lines, chocolate, etc etc etc.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

These are the kayaks we have.
We have a drop stitch Razorlite double. It’s a brilliant bit of kit that goes at a lick.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a drop stitch Razorlite double. It’s a brilliant bit of kit that goes at a lick.

I found mine was very light to paddle and much faster than the sit-ons I am use to handling.

Looking forward to getting on (but not in!) the water at Lochore Meadows in a couple of weeks.

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
I will be selling my gumotex twist N1 when I return from Spain next month. Still in guarantee as bought it Autumn 2019 on an impulse and after the initial flurry it has remained dry and just sat in motorhome taking up garage space since. I found I prefer a good bike ride or hike to a paddle. Alternatively anyone in North Costa blanca can view it.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great pics! Does the Gumotex Twist 1 use this drop stitch construction?
No, just standard air chambers, I'm not sure that a drop stitch version would be any better unless you intend to do a lot of distance/duration kayaking.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The drop stitched model [ Rush 1 & 2 ] seems to have initially given some problems in the drop stitch floor to inflatable keel area. Quite a financial outlay as well at some £1500, + more for the deck !!
I asked them for a Safari 2, specifically, a double, grade 3 white water, with optional self bailing ports, and a drop stitch floor, but they weren't keen on that idea, which is a shame as it would have reduced our payload by two boats :rolleyes: . I have added tracking fins to our K2, and it can be turned into a dry boat by taping over the drainage holes with some heavy duty tape, but it's still a heavy old barge to paddle about.
The nearest to my wish list is the Z-Pro.Flash FL2 <Broken link removed>
I had the single version of this and it was really stable, with a good glide, but still quite wide.
Mike

Jan 30, 2017
swansea
Funster No
MH
self built PVC
Exp
since 2016
We have a “sea eagle 380x” excellent in all conditions even white water as it’s self bailing. Very stable in the sea with the keel fitted but very fast to manoeuvre in rivers without the keel. 750 kg weight limit so it can carry a good amount for touring.

Nov 13, 2020
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690SC
Exp
Any recommendations for a decent inflatable kayak to take in the van? My wife and I did a one day canoe on the river Wye last summer and really enjoyed it so I'm thinking of getting a two man inflatable we can keep/take in the van. Only for sunny day canal or lake use although a trip to France or even the Italian lakes might be on the cards next year so not an Aldi or Lidl one but not too expensive either.
Any ideas?
I’ve just bought a Tango Z Pro 200 - really impressed with it. Had our first trip on the Avon last night and it was fantastic! It’s sturdy, easy to inflate and deflate, can be used as one or two person kayak. We love it!

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
I can highly recommend Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks. They are an American brand with a distributor over here (Spindrift UK), so not cheap but they are really well designed and built. We have had one of their two-person entry-level models (SE370) for 10 years this month. It has been out a lot in lakes, rivers and estuaries and shows almost no signs of wear, but as we didn't want to risk a catastrophic incident we have just treated ourselves to an upgrade (385FT). These kayaks are very easy to dry, which is not always the case as mentioned by some above. Lack of a thorough drying also increases the risk of accidentally spreading invasive animals and plants. Another very strong feature of these kayaks is their skegs (like mini-keels) which greatly improve their tracking (ability to be paddled in a straight line). If you venture out onto large lakes, as we frequently do in the Lake District, where the wind can suddenly get up you will appreciate this characteristic!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back