Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thank you I rest my case, I do work for the water authority and drainage is my forte.

That’s interesting... I assume you’re up to date with their policies and procedures? I wonder if you can save me an email and explain why the Water Authority’s website seems at odds with this? It clearly states that their wastewater policy is to treat all wastewater no matter where it originates.

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Could just be read bed treatment through the ditches oil is a organic substance that is broken down by natural means unless it's a very large spill
It's not a big problems a sump full of oil soon brakes down
Bill

Yes... Reed bed treatment would get environmental kudos, especially on a new housing development - that would explain the pond.

pseward152

Free Member
Jun 9, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato dethleffs
Exp
Had proper nosey bloke check my bucket under my grey waste to see if it had a hole in it.i assured him it didn’t by chucking the entire contents over him,he never came creeping around my motorhome again

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When I get to the age that the highlight of a Saturday evening is discussing dishwater online can someone please shoot me !

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Surely we're in danger of losing sight of the non-problem? Motorhome or caravan grey waste is a non-issue - wherever it goes it is no more, and probably less, toxic than many / most other liquids going the same way. Public perception is the key: don't make it obvious to others (especially those unfamiliar with our hobby) that you are disposing of it. We know it's pretty harmless but Joe Public will assume it's the contents of your loo. Me - I drain mine as sensibly as possible but I run with it open until next use to prevent smells building up. Which means I deposit a litre (probably) as I drive off.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I'm surprised he had gotten on to a motorway before it had emptied itself and why was it still coming out when going, I presume, flat and straight? Could he be having a weeping problem with the valve he didn't know about? Do Rapidos have an issue with their grey drain?

Agree with all that, and exactly what I was thinking. Must have been pouring out at a fair rate of knots if the smears were coming from that. Perhaps it was diesel already on the road and being thrown up from the road from his tyres. In dirty driving conditions a lot of crap gets on the road. Just as well is wasn't his brown waste tank if it was coming from him!!

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I reckon it was Diesel tanker/lorry spillage.

right Flook is back in the cage:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
We were in Whitby and the auto trail next to us waved and went off , as soon as they moved we saw his puddle of grey waste that was running into the grass bank .
  • This is bad for two reasons , one it is mucky greasy soapy water with food debris in and therefore an attraction for mice and rats and
  • Secondly it will undoubtedly give MH a bad name so that the council will stop overnight parking,
Just take it home like any responsible person. Would they let all that gunk out on their own drive no.!
Oh yes and as it was so cold that niight it froze so left a patch where no one could park!
Rant over!!

Stop overnight parking in Whitby???? They did that years ago

Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
Yeah that's the stuff a biker worries about believe me .......theres nothing in the world makes your ass cheeks clench quicker than rounding a bend on two wheels to discover the road covered in freshly dropped wet slimey mud.
My scariest moment on a bike was taking a bend and hitting a squashed cabbage that had presumably fallen off a farm trailer. Now that's slippy!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Obviously I checked the policy on wastewater discharge into watercourses for the info in my post. I’ve no reason to think that a water authority would put out false information.

Surely the pond you’ve mentioned would have had a thick film of fuel, oil, and general road run off which be a toxic hazard to wildlife? Just the run-off from agricultural land would have potential toxins in it... are you sure the water wasn’t going to treatment or soak-away?

If you wander around some service areas & laybys on motorways & dual carriageways you can see the large catchment ponds ,especially in summer when they are usually bone dry

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We know it's pretty harmless but Joe Public will assume it's the contents of your loo.

Tony, you've probably knocked the nail on the head with that point. The rest of the population who don't own MoHo's probably think that the 'Grey Water Dribbelers' are dropping their #2's on the road.

I do appreciate that people start dribbling more as they get older but I'm going to hold back as long as possible if I can:D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I asked a friend who works as a senior scientist for the Environment Agency if it would do any harm to empty the grey water into a hedge.

After some careful thought, he said no.

Good enough for me.

For years we emptied our grey and black tanks, yes the pee and poo too, into particular bit of isolated hedgerow. maybe 5 or 6 empties a year at 100 gallons a go. The only effect to the habitat was that particular bit of hedgerow grew the biggest blackberries you've ever seen. The mother in law had no idea why the blackberries there were so good and i never told her. :D

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
For years we emptied our grey and black tanks, yes the pee and poo too, into particular bit of isolated hedgerow. maybe 5 or 6 empties a year at 100 gallons a go. The only effect to the habitat was that particular bit of hedgerow grew the biggest blackberries you've ever seen. The mother in law had no idea why the blackberries there were so good and i never told her. :D

Did she not get upset when you refused to eat the blackberry pie she made. :D2

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My scariest moment on a bike was taking a bend and hitting a squashed cabbage that had presumably fallen off a farm trailer. Now that's slippy!

Does that mean you were riding around a blind bend at too higher speed to be able to pull up if there was an obstruction in the road?

Tut tut...

JJ :cool:

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but many years ago I saw a caravanner using a grey water "filter" made from a bit of 4" soil pipe and a couple of standard fittings from Wikes. He filled the filter with grass taken from the hedgerow, not too tightly packed. when I asked him about it he said most site operators are fine with this, especially in the summer.

I have done this for a long time, with the site operator's permission, where appropriate. as long as you don't let it rum downhill to where you or your neighbours are sitting, it works fine. change the grass "Media" every week at least by emptying it into a waste bag and putting it with your other waste for the dustbin.

For the Motorhome, you can run the waste straight through the waste tank by leaving the drain open, or, to avoid censure from fellow "campers" who don't understand or agree, you can let the day's grey waste go after dark. (I am sensitive to other folks views and try to avoid us all getting a bad name)

There are lots of friendly bugs in the ground that will treat this liquid grey waste inoffensively and safely. Indeed, it is a fundamental principle of "Reed Bed' sewage treatment on the outlet of septic tanks.
The trick is to filter out any harder to treat lumps of grease and other detritus that gets down your plug hole. It is definitely not acceptable to empty "mixed" grey waste from a bucket onto ground that could/is used for relaxing or playing on. The fats and other stuff cannot be so easily and quickly treated.

A totally environmentally friendly approach, it saves your water being transported with sewage to a treatment plant where it costs a fortune in energy to treat. It gives you another option in operating your motorhome.

Incidentally, I often stay on a Forestry Commission owned site and they require you to empty your grey waste in the hedgerows.

I like Jim's blackberry story - fantastic.

Can you detect I was in Wastewater Treatment during my career?

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Does that mean you were riding around a blind bend at too higher speed to be able to pull up if there was an obstruction in the road?

Tut tut...

JJ :cool:

I assume you have never ridden a motorbike JJ, at a bend (of any type,or length) you lean the bike so you are offset compared to the wheels, even slightly. The cause can be dramatic if your tyres hit something like that. A good friend of mine who is an excellent rider with many qualifications for bike riding has recently had a spill with gravel involved, not doing a great speed, came off the bike, serious damage to his new bike, having to replace his protective clothing, fortunately not much damage to him (he could do with a new set of brains though:ROFLMAO:).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I assume you have never ridden a motorbike J

Gazillions of miles on bikes as a London commuter, ran over most things, from diesel through to blood. But the only things I ever found really slippy were wet white lines. :)

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wet white lines are deadly - literally. My brother lost his life at 18yrs old by braking as he crossed a wet white line. He was thrown under a tanker. He was travelling less than 25mph according to witnesses.

Off topic now.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Gazillions of miles on bikes as a London commuter, ran over most things, from diesel through to blood. But the only things I ever found really slippy were wet white lines. :)
Worst hazard I came across were the cast iron "round-abouts" in Paris in the '60s. Invisible on a wet night.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Even on farms it is permissible to discharge a treated dilute liquid waste of very low polluting load to a surface water or to the ground.

Every cow, pig, sheep, horse, llama etc knows that ...

When you consider what else is washed down our roadside drains motorhome grey waste pales into insignificance.

The dischage from a muck-spreader as it makes its way to the fields and the muck left on the road from one set of tractor wheels as it returns for another load makes the issue of motor home discharges trivial.

That is not to say that no mind should be paid to the matter but a sense of realistic proportion would help.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Even on farms it is permissible to discharge a treated dilute liquid waste of very low polluting load to a surface water or to the ground.

Every cow, pig, sheep, horse, llama etc knows that ...

When you consider what else is washed down our roadside drains motorhome grey waste pales into insignificance.

The dischage from a muck-spreader as it makes its way to the fields and the muck left on the road from one set of tractor wheels as it returns for another load makes the issue of motor home discharges trivial.

That is not to say that no mind should be paid to the matter but a sense of realistic proportion would help.

But all the Greenies living in towns see neither the detritus, nor the proportionality:rolleyes:.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

how much would you say is a 'realised amount' that wouldn't be inconsiderate of other road users, nor give the wrong impression about our hobby ?

and why is that when some people do wrong they compare it to another one doing wrong, justifying it by saying theirs is trivial by comparison
odd , have never worked that one out

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
how much would you say is a 'realised amount' that wouldn't be inconsiderate of other road users, nor give the wrong impression about our hobby ?

and why is that when some people do wrong they compare it to another one doing wrong, justifying it by saying theirs is trivial by comparison
odd , have never worked that one out

If you are suggesting that 'Hilewaychile' was justifying it by comparing it with farm waste entering the system, could you explain why that is a 'wrong' as I do not know a law against it.

Maybe you think all the animals in all the world should wear nappies - I shall like to watch you attaching one to a bear - because I have heard that they sh1t in the woods, but maybe it is only a rumour, but even if true I am sure they do it downstream of the salmon runs.

Do you like wild salmon? Just askin'

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back