Inconsiderate motorhomes :-( (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Some years ago, and because I though it wouldn't matter I had left my grey waste slightly open to finally empty the tank.
A motor cyclists asked me to be sure not to do it as it could easily create an unexpected wet spot on a bend- he said it didn't really matter whether it was fresh or grey water, still slippery to someone on two wheels when they might least expect it.

Mike & Ann

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I have read all the comments but have another to add. Whilst I agree with all that's said, sadly whilst driving back from the midlands last year I happened to see in my rear view mirror spray from the vicinity of my grey waste outlet pipe. I stopped as soon as I could and checked. The waste was open. I know that it was shut before I left home and I was at a meeting so overnight and returning home. Pretty sure there was third party intervention. A lot of youngsters where I was staying. Maybe I should of checked before leaving but am now looking into padlocking the valve lever. (Hymer BM640). Anyone on here got any ideas? YES I deserve a slapped wrist for not checking!

Mar 2, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta kyacht85
Exp
4yrs
Come on for goodness sake! Im sure there is not one on here that has an Halo? We all have done something that you class as not acceptable? Be honest...Go on I dare you? I have done the same thing when I have washed out our tanks on the yard. I have pulled on to the road and let it down a drain . What is the problem?
The problem is that highway gullies go straight to water courses,so polluting rivers and canals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have read all the comments but have another to add. Whilst I agree with all that's said, sadly whilst driving back from the midlands last year I happened to see in my rear view mirror spray from the vicinity of my grey waste outlet pipe. I stopped as soon as I could and checked. The waste was open. I know that it was shut before I left home and I was at a meeting so overnight and returning home. Pretty sure there was third party intervention. A lot of youngsters where I was staying. Maybe I should of checked before leaving but am now looking into padlocking the valve lever. (Hymer BM640). Anyone on here got any ideas? YES I deserve a slapped wrist for not checking!
Padlocking your grey waste valve, are you serious? Why not just empty it?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
The problem is that highway gullies go straight to water courses,so polluting rivers and canals.
With respect guys..If you were to see the crap that the builders by us ..what they throw down the drains after they have plastered or built walls, houses etc...The issue with grey waste, wouldn't be a problem! Canals or Rivers!

We have a gulley behind the new build properties they have just done. Honestly...If you could see the cement and plaster waste that runs through this then you would have reason to complain. These are the professionals the government want to build the many houses the country seems to be lacking! Grey waste....Not a problem.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Some years ago, and because I though it wouldn't matter I had left my grey waste slightly open to finally empty the tank.
A motor cyclists asked me to be sure not to do it as it could easily create an unexpected wet spot on a bend- he said it didn't really matter whether it was fresh or grey water, still slippery to someone on two wheels when they might least expect it.

Mike & Ann

I wonder what he would do when it rains?? I am a motorcyclist, I have come across more grit, pot holes and deisl on the roads, bends and straights country lanes and motorways. When it rains, horrible spray from cars, vans, lorries and Motorhomes when I have either been behind or passing. It is a fact of riding two wheels, you come across these things. Sorry I do not agree with what Mike has been told, that is total rubbish.

Carry on doing whatever your doing do not worry about motorcycles we are a tough breed.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wonder what he would do when it rains?? I am a motorcyclist, I have come across more grit, pot holes and deisl on the roads, bends and straights country lanes and motorways. When it rains, horrible spray from cars, vans, lorries and Motorhomes when I have either been behind or passing. It is a fact of riding two wheels, you come across these things. Sorry I do not agree with what Mike has been told, that is total rubbish.

Carry on doing whatever your doing do not worry about motorcycles we are a tough breed.

Agree completely (y)

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I have the Southbourne CC site just down the road from me, went past this Hymer parked on the main road outside the site and noticed he had pulled over a road gully to empty his tank!
They must have a service bay in the site as it’s a fair size and always busy.
Don’t know what the score is with emptying down road gullies, would have thought it was not allowed as once it comes from a sink or shower it should be sent down the sewer system..
Wrong Wrong Wrong, you don’t send soapy used water down the sewer, it goes down the normal drain where the rain water goes, from your sink, your washing machine, if yours is going down your sewer you need to get a plumber to sort it out.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Yeah that's the stuff a biker worries about believe me .......theres nothing in the world makes your ass cheeks clench quicker than rounding a bend on two wheels to discover the road covered in freshly dropped wet slimey mud.

What about turning up for a date from plenty of fish !!! Now that’s arse clenching!!!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Wrong Wrong Wrong, you don’t send soapy used water down the sewer, it goes down the normal drain where the rain water goes, from your sink, your washing machine, if yours is going down your sewer you need to get a plumber to sort it out.

Think you had better tell all these house builders as the only thing that goes to storm/soakaways is the downpipes.
Sinks are classed as contaminated waste so have to go to the sewer.

Mar 2, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta kyacht85
Exp
4yrs
The only thing that goes down the sw sewer is rain water run off from roads and roofs,everything else goes to the fw sewer for treatment at the sewage works. If there are no sw sewer system it may go to a combined system which goes to the treatment works.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The following is from Southern Water’s website:

‘Wastewater comes from water used in the home, in businesses and factories and from rain falling on roofs or the roads and pavements.

All wastewater follows the same route, wherever it comes from. It is guided down drains and into sewers that run under roads. These carry the water, now called sewage, to the waste treatment or sewage works.’

———————————————————————————————

The water discharged into roadside drains doesn’t go straight into watercourses. When you think of the amount of vehicle oil and fuel, animal waste, effluent, muck, mud, etc, etc that is washed down the roadside drains it’s obvious that it needs to be treated.

It follows then that if grey water from a motorhome is discharged into a roadside drain it will go to a treatment plant... not straight into a watercourse.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

‘Wastewater comes from water used in the home, in businesses and factories and from rain falling on roofs or the roads and pavements.

All wastewater follows the same route, wherever it comes from. It is guided down drains and into sewers that run under roads. These carry the water, now called sewage, to the waste treatment or sewage works.’

The water discharged into roadside drains doesn’t go straight into watercourses. When you think of the amount of vehicle oil and fuel, animal waste, effluent, muck, mud, etc, etc that is washed down the roadside drains it’s obvious that it needs to be treated.

It follows then that if grey water from a motorhome is discharged into a roadside drain it will go to a treatment plant... not straight into a watercourse.
Except in rural aria's where it will run in to road side culverts.
Motorways it is drained in to road side draines then to ditches or shoke away's
How do I know because I used to drill them
Bill

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

No it doesn’t.

Just think for a moment of all the toxic waste on the roads... diesel, petrol, oil, salt, animal effluent, rubbish.... the list goes on and on... how can that possibly go direct into watercourses? My short list of nasties would be a deadly concoction to aquatic life and vegetation.

Mar 2, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta kyacht85
Exp
4yrs

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
No it doesn’t.

Just think for a moment of all the toxic waste on the roads... diesel, petrol, oil, salt, animal effluent, rubbish.... the list goes on and on... how can that possibly go direct into watercourses? My short list of nasties would be a deadly concoction to aquatic life and vegetation.

Sorry but the last contract I did for Hampshire Council was an 18 months drainage and road one, the gullies along one part of the road went into an existing ditch.
The lads built head walls to stop bank erosion, been doing roads for 40 years and loads have gone into the watercourse..

Did a large road job for 3000 new houses in Berkshire and the gullies went into a holding pond that then went into a stream.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sorry but the last contract I did for Hampshire Council was an 18 months drainage and road one, the gullies along one part of the road went into an existing ditch.
The lads built head walls to stop bank erosion, been doing roads for 40 years and loads have gone into the watercourse..

Did a large road job for 3000 new houses in Berkshire and the gullies went into a holding pond that then went into a stream.
Just glad on this forum that their is folks who known what their talking abut or wee would have sum serious bull problems
Bill

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Obviously I checked the policy on wastewater discharge into watercourses for the info in my post. I’ve no reason to think that a water authority would put out false information.

Surely the pond you’ve mentioned would have had a thick film of fuel, oil, and general road run off which be a toxic hazard to wildlife? Just the run-off from agricultural land would have potential toxins in it... are you sure the water wasn’t going to treatment or soak-away?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Just glad on this forum that their is folks who known what their talking abut or wee would have sum serious bull problems
Bill

You don’t think that a Water Authority know what their water treatment policies are?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Obviously I checked the policy on wastewater discharge into watercourses for the info in my post. I’ve no reason to think that a water authority would put out false information.

Surely the pond you’ve mentioned would have had a thick film of fuel, oil, and general road run off which be a toxic hazard to wildlife? Just the run-off from agricultural land would have potential toxins in it... are you sure the water wasn’t going to treatment or soak-away?

Most just go straight into the watercourse, I have installed some with baffles and some with interceptors.
In a pond that has a sump system and oil will naturally sink and disperse..
Can dig out some old working drawings and post if you are still not sure?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You don’t think that a Water Authority know what their water treatment policies are?
Thing is their are so many on her who just spout total xxxxx if that just looked at the side of the motor way that would see for their shelf's ditches with reads ponds
Catchment aria's
Bill

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No, no need to send the drawings but thanks for the offer.

Obviously you are an experienced contractor and I don’t doubt that you carried out the drainage work as you described. I am still puzzling over the discrepancy in what you’ve said happens to the wastewater and the information the Water Authority’s website where it’s clear what their policy is, which is that all wastewater is treated.

I might even email them for confirmation that this is the case... :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
No, no need to send the drawings but thanks for the offer.

Obviously you are an experienced contractor and I don’t doubt that you carried out the drainage work as you described. I am still puzzling over the discrepancy in what you’ve said happens to the wastewater and the information the Water Authority’s website where it’s clear what their policy is, which is that all wastewater is treated.

I might even email them for clarity... :)
Could just be read bed treatment through the ditches oil is a organic substance that is broken down by natural means unless it's a very large spill
It's not a big problems a sump full of oil soon brakes down
Bill

Mar 2, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta kyacht85
Exp
4yrs

Thank you I rest my case, I do work for the water authority and drainage is my forte.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back