Incinerator toilets (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
I’m interested in installing an incinerator toilet, does anybody know where I start? Does anybody have one? I’ve seen Cinderella and WooWoo, but are there any motorhome specific experts who can fit them and advise if they’re ok, that you know of? Thank you

OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Also came across this type of incinerating loo....but the last sentence precludes its use I think......

‘The Separett CINDI Basic is an all-electric incinerating, waterless toilet that produces only ash as a by-product. The electronics monitor all aspects of the toilet to ensure complete safety and correct incinerating/evaporating cycles to deal with the daily use for up to six people. The built-in catalytic convertor ensures odours are removed before being vented through the 110mm vent system (not included) where steam etc will gently and odourlessly disperse.

Cindi® Basic burns solid waste to ashes at around 550 degrees Celsius (1200 Fahrenheit). Like an oven, it uses a heating element to heat up the chamber. All moisture and liquids evaporate and all solid waste, together with the paper bag, is incinerated to ashes. The time needed to reach 550 degrees depends on the amount of waste and liquids present in the chamber during the process.

Due to the nature of the heating element and other factors, Cindi is not suitable for installation in moving vehicles (RV’s & motor homes etc) that might be subject to excessive vibrations and movement.’
That was sounding great....till the last sentence! Thanks anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Has anyone asked the The Lb’s

Why do you want one? Is it just to get away from the plastic box of poo that you have to take "walkies"
Simply yes. When we sell our house we will be full timers, and although we will be on sites all of the time, the option of not emptying the loo every day appealed to me when I saw this loo. I don’t hate emptying every day, but would rather not!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Perhaps the question should be why wouldn't you want one?
I think there are a few posts above this that highlight some of the downsides, I would not want a hot flue pipe in the bathroom in the summer, I suppose you could water jacket it and recover the heat into your domestic hot water😉

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Simply yes. When we sell our house we will be full timers, and although we will be on sites all of the time, the option of not emptying the loo every day appealed to me when I saw this loo. I don’t hate emptying every day, but would rather not!
I understand that, we now have a 250 litre black tank so we are good for a couple of weeks or more before we need to visit a dump point👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
I understand that, we now have a 250 litre black tank so we are good for a couple of weeks or more before we need to visit a dump point👍
Excuse the ignorance, but how do you empty such a large quantity? I haven’t noticed sites offering black waste, but I’ve never looked to be fair. Do you empty it like grey waste, drive over the area?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Excuse the ignorance, but how do you empty such a large quantity? I haven’t noticed sites offering black waste, but I’ve never looked to be fair. Do you empty it like grey waste, drive over the area?
Just a drive over drain, some sites don't have drive over motor home waste points so you might have to lift a manhole cover or some people have a pump system that can lift up into a higher disposal point, I carry a few metres of waste hose and can dump the lot at ground level in a few minutes.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It strikes me that you end up with your hand down the toilet a lot!

I'll stick with my Porcelain loo dropping into a holding tank that I empty occasionally.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had a black tank on our last Carthago as well as a cassette never used the tank as it used a long hose that needed flushing and was a bit of a faff as to where to store it after use and the smell of disinfectant in the lockers.
Maybe the latest ones have come on a bit but ours was a shit job🙂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
It strikes me that you end up with your hand down the toilet a lot!

I'll stick with my Porcelain loo dropping into a holding tank that I empty occasionally.
Sorry, I don’t follow. What option do you refer to where you end up with your hand down the loo!? Do you mean a regular cassette toilet or a black tank as your preference? Thank you

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry, I don’t follow. What option do you refer to where you end up with your hand down the loo!? Do you mean a regular cassette toilet or a black tank as your preference? Thank you
Thanks for asking, I didn't understand either (y) :unsure:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well the first thing you have to do is line the bowl with a paper bag and pee and poo into the paper bag lining the bowl

Sounds gross, because there will always be a little seepage or splashing, the old Curry fuel ‘Pebbledashing”

Hugely power hungry, wasted paper, single use poo’wise and I suspect they are just a couple of the reasons that although been around a long time, they’ve not caught on

My preference is a proper sized ceramic loo, going into a large black inboard holding tank that isn’t hard to empty, but needs emptying infrequently

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well the first thing you have to do is line the bowl with a paper bag and pee and poo into the paper bag lining the bowl

Sounds gross, because there will always be a little seepage or splashing, the old Curry fuel ‘Pebbledashing”

Hugely power hungry, wasted paper, single use poo’wise and I suspect they are just a couple of the reasons that although been around a long time, they’ve not caught on

My preference is a proper sized ceramic loo, going into a large black inboard holding tank that isn’t hard to empty, but needs emptying infrequently
Don’t know about you Eddie I only ever use paper once in my loo 🤣

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
More comments from the interweb.......

General Comments about Incinerating Toilets​

Watch out: besides the Stewart review of the Incinolet, a scan of product comments across a number of websites made between 2001 and 2014 found the following types of consumer complaints or concerns about incinerating toilets:

• Energy consumption [US EPA, others]
  • Noise - "sounds like a roaring freight train" [various sources]
  • Odors [various sources]
  • I have been around one at work. I refused to use it. When I first started in that area the vent would back draft. Imagine that smell. When we had heavy use it backed and the element burned out. Now we bring in portapotties when there is a work group that can't go back across the levee.

They have found scorch marks on the ceiling where is exits the roof. The smell down wind stinks, the blower is noisy, and it pulls a lot of amps. This is a unit of last resort were nothing else is feasible. - airstream trailer forums at airforums.com retrieved 3/6/2014 original source: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446/ anyone-use-incinolet-incinerator-toilet-62782.html
* marks units that looked good to me on first review of their specifications, or which have received positive reviews from other sources I respect such as Real Goods.

Reader Comments & Q&A​

On 2020-09-23 by (mod) - incinerator toilets in RVs? in an RV shower stall?

Dylan

There are incinerator toilets that can be installed in very tight spaces with as little as about 6" from the wall through which the toilet vents and 2" from the toilet sides,
but
if you use your RV shower stall then you will, of course be giving up on having a shower; you can not install an incinerating toilet where it or its wiring or wall plug connector would get wet.

There's a second question about obtaining sufficient electrical power.

Depending on the incinerating toilet brand and model you may need, for example, a 20A 240VAC circuit dedicated to the toilet.

There are 110V models as well, around the same amperage, but again, usually as a dedicated circuit.

And of course there are also incinerating toilets that operate on LP gas.

Really? But I'm doubtful that an incinerating toilet is made to install in and actually share space with an active shower stall; the models I've reviewed would not be installed in a wet location like that.

Watch out: don't order an incinerating toilet for RV installation without discussing your specific installation needs with the toilet manufacturer.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Cinderella loos require a 10a fuse i think
And kabe are a well respected Swedish van manufacturer and I dont think they would offer them unless really happy about them

Upvote 0

Uumode

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking
I was contemplating an incinerating toilet as well as it 'did' seem more convenient trying to find somewhere to dump the contents of a cassette every 2 days, which could be about 170 days a year.

Upvote 0

Uumode

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking
I was contemplating an incinerating toilet as well as it 'did' seem more convenient trying to find somewhere to dump the contents of a cassette every 2 days, which could be about 170 days a year.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Anybody smelt burning poo? 🤮🤮 I can’t imagine many campsite allowing you to stay! SOG vents get a bad enough press, but no amount of charcoal filters is going to get rid of the smell of incinerating waste! 💩

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Sounds like far too higher gas usage for Motorhome use. Also as the bowl doesn't get flushed it's going to need cleaning a couple times a day to stop it smelling.
You use a liner each time, so no messy bowl

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Anybody smelt burning poo? 🤮🤮 I can’t imagine many campsite allowing you to stay! SOG vents get a bad enough press, but no amount of charcoal filters is going to get rid of the smell of incinerating waste! 💩
My curries are so hot it incinerates it’s self on contact with oxygen 😎🤣

Upvote 0

TOT

Feb 7, 2022
UK and Ireland
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Remember folks........... at the end of the day, something has got to go somewhere.

Sometimes though makes me thinks that the yappy pair have an easier solutions - piddle anywhere like the french, and bag the solids to go into a bin............

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back