Incinerator toilets (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
I’m interested in installing an incinerator toilet, does anybody know where I start? Does anybody have one? I’ve seen Cinderella and WooWoo, but are there any motorhome specific experts who can fit them and advise if they’re ok, that you know of? Thank you

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when i worked on a land rig in Africa they had them the stink of cremating poo all over the site 🤢
The ones we had your pee went in to a tank so you had to position you bit's over a bit for your pee it still had to be disposed of from a catchment tank dont know if that's the case with new ones.
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
it only consumes about one kilowatt hour per cycle.

ok. from a 12v system that is around 100Ah. So you would need 2 x 100Ah batteries just for one "flush".

I am sorry but I am of the mind if you are burning something you are doing it wrong.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like far too higher gas usage for Motorhome use. Also as the bowl doesn't get flushed it's going to need cleaning a couple times a day to stop it smelling.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
😂 ...now trying to unsee Lenny flushing his bowels out a couple of times a day.....
Nah, he tried that on his last holiday in Germany but it all went wrong so he ended up having to have his gallbladder removed! 😄

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It’s an interesting topic and thought I would have a look at some reviews. On one hand it sounds like an almost perfect solution in the other hand they do seem to have their own challenges as this review outlines

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
It’s an interesting topic and thought I would have a look at some reviews. On one hand it sounds like an almost perfect solution in the other hand they do seem to have their own challenges as this review outlines
Good grief.....!
I shall never complain about emptying/cleaning the cassette again!!!! o_O o_O o_O

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wouldn’t mind a Japanese toilet though, one of the most comfortable and cleaning loos I have ever used.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Cindetella seems to be one of the best ones. Kobe, a Swedish van manufacturer have it as an option.
And they do look nice.
If 12v, perhaps lithium a good idea?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
A few thoughts 🤔...
Are you vegetarian? I suspect dung burns easier 😁 also if you take some Loperimide to constipate you they'll come out dryer and you'll maybe use less gas 👍
No I’m not, and I don’t use Loperimide, so I’ll be taking the gas hit!

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Can't believe no-one has posted yet: "Yay it's a toilet thread" ::bigsmile:

More seriously, before contemplating this type of loo as a solution I'd need to look at the whole life costs. Special liners won't come cheap, and that's on top of fuel. How long does the catalystic outlet thingy last? Does it need servicing to change the burners. If it's a gas based appliance do you need regular safety testing? If electric based, how long would the elements last?

Can these systems be upset by a perceived excess of either urine or faeces? I can almost understand the idea of burning the poo, once the moisture is burnt off, but effectively you are going to expend an awful lot of energy to evaporate the pee.

Noone has suggested if there is an issue with weight? I suspect these are both bulkier and heavier than the standard cassette based toilets for motorhomes, perhaps offset by having less contents?

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

More seriously, before contemplating this type of loo as a solution I'd need to look at the whole life costs. Special liners won't come cheap, and that's on top of fuel. How long does the catalystic outlet thingy last? Does it need servicing to change the burners. If it's a gas based appliance do you need regular safety testing? If electric based, how long would the elements last?

Can these systems be upset by a perceived excess of either urine or faeces? I can almost understand the idea of burning the poo, once the moisture is burnt off, but effectively you are going to expend an awful lot of energy to evaporate the pee.

Noone has suggested if there is an issue with weight? I suspect these are both bulkier and heavier than the standard cassette based toilets for motorhomes, perhaps offset by having less contents?
Wouldn't worry about weight, once everything is burnt it will have evaporated or turned to a few grams of ash, I suspect a Macerator Toilet particularly in the lager MoHo's (American Style) will weigh much more

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp

All in all, a bit of a non-starter, IMHO.....and

’Yay! it’s a toilet thread!’ ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp

They are suggested for motorhome use on their website, but they are all good points to consider.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Why a non starter?
Well......the flue seems to get rather hot from the exhaust gas for one. Not good for the ‘van bodywork I think - how far would it need to be offset to stop it from scorching/melting the body........?? :oops:

(mind you, if the flue was routed inside the ‘van, it would be a good source of heating during the winter months....... ;) )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Well......the flue seems to get rather hot from the exhaust gas for one. Not good for the ‘van bodywork I think - how far would it need to be offset to stop it from scorching/melting the body........?? :oops:
Now this is interesting, how do you know this, was it on the website or have you experience of such a setup?

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Yes, the web - I read some of the reviews, and the common theme seemed to be how hot the flue got - I’ll find the link if I can!

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Yes please, thanks
This was the first one that caught my eye......

‘Tim Hebert
• Oct 21, 2020

This toilet was a nightmare!
It was one thing after another! With almost constant problems which were very difficult to diagnose and repair. After the first toilet melted and burned a hole in my floor I was sent a second toilet which needed constant attention, parts and repairs. The only thing good I have to say is while under warranty the ecojohn people tried to be helpful and even paid shipping to repair the toilet when I couldn't. But the problems continued past the warranty and it would have cost $600 to ship the toilet ONE WAY. I am not saying all their toilets are this bad but I obviously got not one but two "lemons". After only 2 1/2 short years the burn chamber burned out and that was the end of that. The design is bulky, it radiates an abundance of heat causing AC to run more. The wiring and mechanics are way to complicated for a normal person to work on and you have to remove the stove pipe and disassemble the toilet just to perform basic maintenance. The auger leaks all over the inside of housing causing a horrible stink and the neighbors (100' away) complained of odor which I too often noticed. This continued even after I added 10' of stove pipe. After all of this I requested a partial refund and was promptly denied.’

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Also came across this type of incinerating loo....but the last sentence precludes its use I think......

‘The Separett CINDI Basic is an all-electric incinerating, waterless toilet that produces only ash as a by-product. The electronics monitor all aspects of the toilet to ensure complete safety and correct incinerating/evaporating cycles to deal with the daily use for up to six people. The built-in catalytic convertor ensures odours are removed before being vented through the 110mm vent system (not included) where steam etc will gently and odourlessly disperse.

Cindi® Basic burns solid waste to ashes at around 550 degrees Celsius (1200 Fahrenheit). Like an oven, it uses a heating element to heat up the chamber. All moisture and liquids evaporate and all solid waste, together with the paper bag, is incinerated to ashes. The time needed to reach 550 degrees depends on the amount of waste and liquids present in the chamber during the process.

Due to the nature of the heating element and other factors, Cindi is not suitable for installation in moving vehicles (RV’s & motor homes etc) that might be subject to excessive vibrations and movement.’

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back