In France have you noticed local attitudes are aggressive. When you park up if not on an aire (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
It’s the first time it’s happened and yes I agree a big smile and good morning is always or mostly does defuse a situation guess I just met my first arse

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
not at all. It's only in the UK you get the worse attitude in Europe. As long as you don't park where you shouldn't you are not likely going to get aggressive people.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
You never know it might have been the local farmer and it's his land, would you like someone to park in your garden without asking. In France not everywhere is fenced off like the UK just be cautious and courteous, that said culture can play a Part as well, french are often more reserved, our language and intonation can make a lot of difference for misunderstanding one another. Only ever had 1 issue in France, and he was really arrogant, but passionate french hated Brits and said so so he got it back in good old British style ( we still have 2 fingers for shooting our long bow arrows).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
You never know it might have been the local farmer and it's his land, would you like someone to park in your garden without asking. In France not everywhere is fenced off like the UK just be cautious and courteous, that said culture can play a Part as well, french are often more reserved, our language and intonation can make a lot of difference for misunderstanding one another. Only ever had 1 issue in France, and he was really arrogant, but passionate french hated Brits and said so so he got it back in good old British style ( we still have 2 fingers for shooting our long bow arrows).
For clarification Its was definitely public tarmac space 65 m x 25 m

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
not at all. It's only in the UK you get the worse attitude in Europe. As long as you don't park where you shouldn't you are not likely going to get aggressive people.
I guess that does put it into prospective when you think of the British attitude

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
For clarification Its was definitely public tarmac space 65 m x 25 m
Just bad luck I guess then. It's off putting when you receive negativity. I know how It feels, was not intending it to be a criticism, just looking at why this may have happened

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Just bad luck I guess then. It's off putting when you receive negativity. I know how It feels, was not intending it to be a criticism, just looking at why this may have happened
Non taken I realised it was good advice
In 40 yrs coming to France and having had a house here for 20 yrs have always found the French lovely except perhaps Paris

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Down south then, explains it, most motorhome unfriendly place in France, you can even get done in the streets down there.
But as to your guy he is only one , compared that with UK where near enough everyone complains about motorhomes.
I find them friendlier the further South you go.

They are right miserable sods up North, to match their crappy weather.

They are nice in Brittany though to be fair.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
In Frejus, 15 years ago. I parked on an official 3 space aire.

Next to that was a bottle back and large bins.

3 empty spaces and we took up one. Refuse collectors came and made some song and dance about how it would be difficult to access the bins.

Local police were called and I was told it was no longer recognised as an official stop. That and I could be towed away. Despite the signs stating parking for motorhomes.

At this point, an elderly lady came out from her garden. Gave them both a finger waving telling off and said, the only problem was that the water was not working.

She advised me she would keep watch on our motorhome and she would provide water if we needed it.

We were only parking for a quick parasailing trip.

But we moved on just in case.

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Let's generalise... in my experience, some French can be a little miserable, especially in pairs on Aires or campsites, it's nice to force a good morning out of them. But aggressive! never experienced it.
"Some French".....Mon Dieu.....

Yamas🍻

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My first thought was that the first local may have been trying to prevent you from being fined for being in a no overnighting area. Can't say i have encountered any hostility except perhaps once when we encountered a height barrier in the middle of nowhere, and had to encroach on a driveway to turn the van round, explanation and apologies in my schoolgirl French ended up with big smiles, waves and bon Voyage.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think that answer is came across someone who was an arse
I hadn’t done anything we didn’t even have windows open
I think you were incredibly unlucky. Don’t let one bad experience put you off. I know there are a few Funsters who seem to hate France but there are many of us who have been going almost every year for decades and love it. We are the majority.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Cannot say I've had any problems in mainland Europe, except trying to decipher what an old Portuguese guy was advising us of....saying I believe someone was robbed at gunpoint...which we did understand, but was it last night, last week or 40 years ago..😀
We once got told we couldn't park in a bit of rough land behind a row of cottages in the Lakes...we were actually visiting friends for dinner in one of the cottages....
Their next door neighbour...think she was Margaret....as Karen wasn't born then...🤔😀🥳😃🇪🇦

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
So this whole thread is based on one dubious experience? Personally not had a problem with French "attitudes" anywhere in France, including Paris. Likewise Germany, Italy, Switzerland and the UK. But then I work to a mantra along the lines of "just because a thing can be done, doesn't mean it should."

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Their next door neighbour...think she was Margaret....as Karen wasn't born then...🤔😀🥳😃🇪🇦
Oh come on ;) pick on someone else. I was born nearly 70 years ago so you must be ancient :LOL:
For the record I'm not at all entitled or excessively demanding etc and wish 'they' hadn't picked my lovely name

Karen, traditionally meaning pure 😇

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Oh come on ;) pick on someone else. I was born nearly 70 years ago so you must be ancient :LOL:
For the record I'm not at all entitled or excessively demanding etc and wish 'they' hadn't picked my lovely name

Karen, traditionally meaning pure 😇
My next door neighbour is Karen...lovely lady too...my Vice President...well chosen by myself to offer support and understanding....I might start a thread naming nice Karen's...I'll start with you...then I move on to Karen Carpenter....wonder if this thread might divert in this direction.🤔

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Had a look at the local news of that village about gypsies as I could feel in your description of the facts some suspicion and probably angriness from the local. I found out that last year in june they had an invasion. Could be related! ... Some people don't make the difference between gypsies and Motorhomers.
But as other said, it can be something completly different. Someone who don't like English, someone who don't like motohomers, or just may be... He found out his wife was cheating on him the very same day ... No luck, full moon, permanent angry person..... Don't built your feeling just on this reaction. Most French will be nice... and you know what .... I can be bloomin' worse than this local!!!! :blush: :blush: ;):gum:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A few years back (92?) when tugging , twin axle senator,with discovery , site at Avignon, had sign no
double essieu were very welcoming when they saw we were English, even back then .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back