Importing with Euro 5 plus engine? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We're currently considering importing a Hymer Dynamic Line from Germany. We're noticing that some of the vehicles are on euro 5 plus Ducatos, while others are on Euro 6.
Hymer at Bad Waldsee have told us that some countries will not accept the 5 plus vehicles for import, but we're not sure whether this applies to the UK. Currently trying to contact VOSA for advice on this, and hopefully, we'll find that out what the situation is re registration, when we finally manage to get through to them :unsure:.
If it does prove possible to register them here, as complete 'non-techies,' we're still feeling a bit cautious about the 5 plus. I'm just looking for the views of you knowledgeable people. Can you foresee any problems, and apart from emissions, is there significant advantage to the euro 6?
All information and advice gratefully accepted.:)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Is it a new registration or a van that has already been registered in Germany?

I think you could have problems registering a "new" vehicle with the DVLA Euro6 - personally, I would not take the risk Insist on a Euro6 motor or don't pay for it.
If the van has already been registered in a European country (i.e. is not a new registration) I think you would be OK importing it with the DVLA

Fiat stopped making Euro5/5+ motors for the Ducato around Aug '16 - Our Ducato PVC Build was delayed until the new Euro6 motor equipped Ducatos rolled off the production line in from about Sept '16.
If your van is on a Euro 5+ motor, it has to have been lying around for a while.

If a dealer was doing the registration, then the risk would be theirs - in so much as if they couldn't register it, then you wouldn't pay for it - but as a self import - the risk could be that the DVLA refuse to register it as it is not Euro6 compliant.

I think the 5+ engines are a bit of a halfway house to Euro6 - I think the E5+ class was introduced to allow manufactures to upgrade the old Euro5 engines in order to get rid of old stock ahead of the Euro6 mandatory requirement.

many manufacturers introduced Adblue to achieve Euro6 compliance, (IIRC MErc/ Renault & Peugeot) but the Ducato Euro6 engine doesn't need Adblue to achebe Euro6 emissions targets.

I would not be particularly happy if my new van was Euro5+ now - and would be looking for Euro6 standard. Worst case is that with new Air quality targets, pre Euro6 diesels will begin to get banned from more locations / cities.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
As Gerry has already said, if it is already registered in an EU country, you won't have any major issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
It seems at the moment the only version of a diesel engine that is not being demonised is the Euro 6

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you for your replies. We've now spoken to a very helpful man at VOSA, who said that there'd be no problems registering a euro 5, so the main considerations are with regard to 'future proofing,' and wondering whether the van has been standing around in all weathers for a long time.
One of the vans has been pre-registered, and is a showroom vehicle, which has not been driven. Of course, we'd have to go over the interior with a fine-tooth comb. It's attractive, though because it's got the finish and trim that we're looking for. I'm still waiting for them to phone me back with a price to trade in our existing van. Another one has not been registered.
I'm tending to think that it might be best to steer clear, and just look for euro 6. Diesel emissions are such a hot potato :unsure:.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Not sure about '' future proofing '' with a diesel, no doubt Euro 7 & 8 & 9 etc emission standards will be with us all at some point in the not too distant future :eek:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We imported a new Euro 5 in 2015, I don't remember there even being a question on its Euro rating. Indeed as it was an Iveco chassis based A class the emissions ratings are ignored as the certified figures are for the base vehicle not the finished MH.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that @sallylillian. We imported a Euro 5 in 2015, too - without problem. (O for those heady days when the exchange rate was 1.422 to the Pound :D) I've been having closer look on Mobile.de, and quite a few of the vehicles are Euro 5. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they're discounted?
Until we spoke to Hymer, this morning, we never even thought about the difference between Euro 5 and Euro 6 - more interested in the colour of the upholstery :D2.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Pre 2001 diesel motorhomes are already caught by London restrictions (Euro 1 & 2). Euro 6 has a four year advantage over Euro 5 so is likely to be acceptable for longer as the restrictions are rolled out. I would go for Euro 6 if you have a choice.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IIRC there is a field on the V55 form for the emissions class (eg. Euro5/euro6) and the information is also on the COC Which you have to submit with the registration paperwork

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes, we bought Euros at 1.30 to 1.40, then the VAT-MAN calculated VAT at 1.43 so truly a bargain not to be repeated anytime soon I suspect. It does mean that trading into Europe still provides for some relief with the inherent residual but I could not face just looking at the list price at 1.12!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
IIRC there is a field on the V55 form for the emissions class (eg. Euro5/euro6) and the information is also on the COC Which you have to submit with the registration paperwork
I can see the Euro rating on my CoC 5b-M, but which box number is that on the V55?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I
I can see the Euro rating on my CoC 5b-M, but which box number is that on the V55?
I'll need to check when I get home ;)
A quick look at my v5 for the van doesn't seem to show the Euro Class.
I remember now I thought this a bit strange as my BMW 335d had Euro6 in the 'version' field of Box D2 (type) on the v5

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I
I'll need to check when I get home ;)
A quick look at my v5 for the van doesn't seem to show the Euro Class.
I remember now I thought this a bit strange as my BMW 335d had Euro6 in the 'version' field of Box D2 (type) on the v5
It is not on the copy of the V55 that I sent to the DVLA, but as my wife says I cannot see anything so I accept I could well be wrong, but I was all over that form and prepared several drafts and just do not remember it. On the VCA document it is in box 47, but 47 does not appear to exist on the V55 I completed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back