I'm on the change, so where do I go from here? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
What should I be looking at?

Time flies! My Apache is coming up to 3 years old next April and will need its first MOT. I like to keep up to date and change vehicles before the first MOT due date. Now is the time to start looking!

My Apache 700 so far has remained dry!! So no Auto-Trail jokes please. There have been a few warranty fixes, but nothing to do with the build quality. A couple of LED strip lights failed, a couple of cupboard catches and the fridge suddenly stopped working, something to do with a matrix so a new fridge was installed a month ago. Oh yes, a gas leak and a stinking fridge flue was repaired in the first month of ownership. And a big thank you to Marquis Devon!

So what's next?

We like the rear lounge, it suits us very well and would not like to give this up. We lounge around and enjoy the views a lot so visibility is important.

These are the areas we would like to improve on. The seating is a bit bolt upright and not that comfy, so something a little more luxurious is desired. The back rests in the Apache are too low and should be higher and more curved to fit your spine shape.

The shower is too small. We are not big people but if you drop soap, flannel etc in the shower, there is no room to bend down without hitting your bum and your head on the opposite walls.

Payload is great, so a minimum of 750Kg is essential, (596's payload of 1000+ sounds better).

Also essential is great backup from the dealer. Marquis Devon have been brilliant for me and would 100% recommend them.

I think a budget around £80k.

Probably not more than 8 meters, there are only 2 of us and a dog.

I'm half thinking following 596 footsteps, Swift, but would like to consider other options.

I looked at the Burstner Lyseo but sadly the cooking facilities are lacking. I asked the dealer at the NEC could you put in a proper oven, separate grill and hob, but he said its not possible.
We like the space and would like to occasionally sleep daughter with some privacy.
All suggestions greatly appreciated!
Cliff

Edit

We liked the K-Yacht (79 or was it the 80?) the one with the rear lounge but pay load was really non existent"

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t think there are many new Hymers with rear lounge except the duo mobile.?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Cliff

After only 3 years and wanting to spend £80k on a new van?

My answer to where you should go from here?

A Psychiatrist.

I am not jealous of your money - I could, but would not, spend many times more.

I pity your original decision-making on the faults you find with current MH.

As for changing because MOT is coming up? Crazy.

See the Psychiatrist.

Just trying to save you from yourself.

Geoff

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Cliff

After only 3 years and wanting to spend £80k on a new van?

My answer to where you should go from here?

A Psychiatrist.

I am not jealous of your money - I could, but would not, spend many times more.

I pity your original decision-making on the faults you find with current MH.

As for changing because MOT is coming up? Crazy.

See the Psychiatrist.

Just trying to save you from yourself.

Geoff

Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

The trouble is the longer you keep them the greater the gap to renew them. Same with cars.

Also, the Apache is my first MH and much has been learnt since!

Apart from water ingress warranty, anything else that goes wrong will be up to me to fix.

My Psychiatrist, (AKA Wifey), will say spend it while you can 'cos you can't take it with you!

So yes, it's time to renew soon.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Ignore the penny pinchers and the nay sayers

Looking forward to finding out what you chose

Thanks

I wouldn't choose to renew to another Apache as others say, there is nothing wrong with it, keep it.

I'm trying to improve on what I have got, so the search is on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
On the K Yacht, if you order a factory fresh model from Marquis, you can specify the 4400 chasis and get over 1 tonne payload.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

The trouble is the longer you keep them the greater the gap to renew them. Same with cars.

Also, the Apache is my first MH and much has been learnt since!

Apart from water ingress warranty, anything else that goes wrong will be up to me to fix.

My Psychiatrist, (AKA Wifey), will say spend it while you can 'cos you can't take it with you!

So yes, it's time to renew soon.
Would rather spend it on travelling than buying new and it living at the dealers having warranty work carried out.Mine is 19 years old and takes us all over Europe for 6 or 7 months a year..Good job we are not all the same.?BUSBY.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I read the title and thought stockings and suspenders and maybe a little outfit for the weekend but you want a new van

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I read the title and thought stockings and suspenders and maybe a little outfit for the weekend but you want a new van
I think I know what you are saying but no suspenders!

I'm surprised that changing after 3 years is not the norm.

But the search will continue

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
How much do you expect to lose on your van?

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
What should I be looking at?

Time flies! My Apache is coming up to 3 years old next April and will need its first MOT. I like to keep up to date and change vehicles before the first MOT due date. Now is the time to start looking!

My Apache 700 so far has remained dry!! So no Auto-Trail jokes please. There have been a few warranty fixes, but nothing to do with the build quality. A couple of LED strip lights failed, a couple of cupboard catches and the fridge suddenly stopped working, something to do with a matrix so a new fridge was installed a month ago. Oh yes, a gas leak and a stinking fridge flue was repaired in the first month of ownership. And a big thank you to Marquis Devon!

So what's next?

We like the rear lounge, it suits us very well and would not like to give this up. We lounge around and enjoy the views a lot so visibility is important.

These are the areas we would like to improve on. The seating is a bit bolt upright and not that comfy, so something a little more luxurious is desired. The back rests in the Apache are too low and should be higher and more curved to fit your spine shape.

The shower is too small. We are not big people but if you drop soap, flannel etc in the shower, there is no room to bend down without hitting your bum and your head on the opposite walls.

Payload is great, so a minimum of 750Kg is essential, (596's payload of 1000+ sounds better).

Also essential is great backup from the dealer. Marquis Devon have been brilliant for me and would 100% recommend them.

I think a budget around £80k.

Probably not more than 8 meters, there are only 2 of us and a dog.

I'm half thinking following 596 footsteps, Swift, but would like to consider other options.

I looked at the Burstner Lyseo but sadly the cooking facilities are lacking. I asked the dealer at the NEC could you put in a proper oven, separate grill and hob, but he said its not possible.
We like the space and would like to occasionally sleep daughter with some privacy.
All suggestions greatly appreciated!
Cliff

Edit

We liked the K-Yacht (79 or was it the 80?) the one with the rear lounge but pay load was really non existent"
You can get the K-Yacht on a 4.4tonne chassis

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Should of read all the replies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.