I was just About to Buy 2 x SOGS's (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
C200 door mount
Had to look it up myself, they have gone up a bit used to be about £140.

Personally I wouldn't use the door one.
I had the door one, the underfloor & and on my current van I converted the under floor one to a roof vent.

The roof vent is the best & no filters required. The underfloor is quite good, although filters are £25 each I refilled them myself for about £3.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Had to look it up myself, they have gone up a bit used to be about £140.

Personally I wouldn't use the door one.
I had the door one, the underfloor & and on my current van I converted the under floor one to a roof vent.

The roof vent is the best & no filters required. The underfloor is quite good, although filters are £25 each I refilled them myself for about £3.
Not sure how I would vent through the roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2018
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
A SOG is a German van based system where a fan is activated when the toilet flap is opened. This draws air from the toilet bowl through a carbon filter to remove odours and vents it to the exterior. The filter can be mounted on the toilet cassette door, under the floor or in the roof. They are effective and in my opinion an extra worth having. The carbon filter is not totally effective which doesn't matter that much as it is your close neighbours that suffer, your van is smell free.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It’s not just SOG prices that have gone up , I replaced the one in my door SOG and this fan was £90 in July 2022 which was about £15 cheaper than original
1705997379722.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I will miss my SOG. My Carthago came with a roof vented SOG which doesn’t need a filter, no smell problems for me or the neighbours. Unfortunately it is not an option on the Malibu Van because the toilet swings out of the way under the bed to make more room in the shower. When I get it later this year I will look for a solution.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don’t have a SOG

My black tank has a “soil pipe” which vents to the roof however👍🏻

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I thought all non SOG cassettes vented underneath so all SOG does is increase f@rt power to outside for you. A couple of sheets of loo paper over the open flap keeps the pongs away for free and also keeps the bowl clean - is this too much information 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I thought all non SOG cassettes vented underneath so all SOG does is increase f@rt power to outside for you. A couple of sheets of loo paper over the open flap keeps the pongs away for free and also keeps the bowl clean - is this too much information 🤔
That is not going to work on the pongs you are making whereas a SOG does.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
What's wrong with a 12v Computer fan?

I have a motorhome friend who used a 12v Computer Fan to replace his original fan which failed as a result of his son thinking he had to pump until the red light went out!!!!! This pushed the contents of the cassette into the SOG fan! This replacement fan has worked for around 12 months without problem, but when I was at the SOG factory in Germany about 18 months ago having a SOG unit fitted to my (then) new MoHo, they claimed that the fans they use are of a water/weather-proofed construction for longer life.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The cassettes do vent from below but the SOG sucks the smells out in another direction. With a SOG fitted you can disable the under vent but that is another story.

Edit. The vent below the cassette is often only into the enclosure not to outside.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The cassettes do vent from below but the SOG sucks the smells out in another direction. With a SOG fitted you can disable the under vent but that is another story.
They only vent from below if the Thetford SOG equivalent is fitted. I changed my SOG from the normal pipe vent to make use of the Thetford vent.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They only vent from below if the Thetford SOG equivalent is fitted. I changed my SOG from the normal pipe vent to make use of the Thetford vent.

On my cassette the vent is opened when the cassette is inserted in the enclosure but it only vents into the enclosure. It is to stop the sealed cassette from exploding if you drive up a mountain. I have disabled it to prevent smells but only because the SOG provides a better release to outside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back