I think I posted this befor but it just gets better (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My son phoned me to say his mum has just left his place on the way home. He is now tracking her through his Uber app which tracks the cab in real time. I will give her a bell when she gets to JFK then I can track her flight until it lands at Heathrow where I will be picking her up. Blimey that is clever stuff...(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I guess you have to be a stalker to go stalking, I'm sure like most modern communication innovations these apps can be used for objectionable purposes but I don't think this is good enough reason to halt progress of such apps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our daughter, son-in-Law and their two children all have iPhones and can track each other's location at any time.

I'm not sure whether or not I think it's a good idea.(n)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I don't like that uber taxis are going to deliver take away food . Will stink the cars out!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All our family has "Find Friends" turned on. I look at it all the time, If anyone turns it off they get their ear bent, till they turn it on again. I get accused of being like control freak Jack Byrnes (Robert de Niro) from meet the Fockers :D . If you're apart it can be sad looking at it, like the time earlier this year; I was in Lincoln, other members spread far and wide, a couple in Swansea, one in Thailand and the other in the Middle East, had to have the world map so small to see everyone :( . But, every now and again all the dots start converging to the same bit of space on the map, watching that happen in real time is brilliant.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Great idea, I've got no problems with anybody knowing where I am, got nothing to hide. These apps (or CCTV for that matter) don't restrict your freedom or control you in any way so bring it on.

Deleted User
Great idea, I've got no problems with anybody knowing where I am, got nothing to hide. These apps (or CCTV for that matter) don't restrict your freedom or control you in any way so bring it on.

I doubt that you would feel the same if you lived under a totalitarian regime such as the USSR, Natzi Germany, Turkey at the moment, China...............

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I doubt that you would feel the same if you lived under a totalitarian regime such as the USSR, Natzi Germany, Turkey at the moment, China...............

I thought with your politics you dreamed of living under such regimes ;)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A totalitarian state is different...
a government that subordinates the individual to the state and strictly controls all aspects of life by coercive measures

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
All our family has "Find Friends" turned on. I look at it all the time, If anyone turns it off they get their ear bent, till they turn it in again. I get accused of being like control freak Jack Byrnes (Robert de Niro) from meet the Fockers :D . If you're apart it can be sad looking at it, like the time earlier this year; I was in Lincoln, other members spread far and wide, a couple in Swansea, one in Thailand and the other in the Middle East, had to have the world map so small to see everyone :( . But, every now and again all the dots start converging to the same bit of space on the map, watching that happen in real time is brilliant.
Like your style Jim, every family should have a head of house, I do my best to fill that roll too.:D

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

But Richard and Anne don't live in such places and many people who dont either have no problem with such tech and find it very useful. With Apple find friends people you want to find have to give permission before you can do so although I do t know about other apps/android etc. I really don't see a problem unless a person has a reason for not wanting their location shared with friends and loved ones.

Conversely those who do live in totalitarian regimes might find the tech very useful to prove they haven't been somewhere they shouldn't or at a time they shouldn't, that's if they could afford it which is doubtful.

Last edited:

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
All our family has "Find Friends" turned on. I look at it all the time, If anyone turns it off they get their ear bent, till they turn it in again. I get accused of being like control freak Jack Byrnes (Robert de Niro) from meet the Fockers :D . If you're apart it can be sad looking at it, like the time earlier this year; I was in Lincoln, other members spread far and wide, a couple in Swansea, one in Thailand and the other in the Middle East, had to have the world map so small to see everyone :( . But, every now and again all the dots start converging to the same bit of space on the map, watching that happen in real time is brilliant.

You have a Jack Byrnes style RV too don't you @Jim ?

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well I parked and got into the terminal just as the flight had landed, got my self a coffee then sat people watching for half an hour, fantastic places to people watch. A family group ten people maybe had all the gear champagne banners plastic cups music and cameras waiting then two girls appeared off the flight they must have been traveling for some time as the welcome was heart warming. Corks popping singing laughing and tears. Isn't that what families are all about. Then my ex appeared, we were home in just 20 minutes from Heathrow where I handed over control of the fish and the dog. Only lost two fish in a month which was good.....(y)

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
I like it with my adult kids, as I know when they are at home and then usually convenient to FaceTime. Also if coming to me it helps for getting meal ready as I can see how many miles away they are and calculate time of arrival.

Veronica

Reactions: Jim

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Why not? Tracking other people's movements all the time, not just for journeys (as my wife does to both son and daughter 29 and 31) is just plain creepy, but it is a free world. I'm not sharing location with anyone

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well I parked and got into the terminal just as the flight had landed, got my self a coffee then sat people watching for half an hour, fantastic places to people watch. A family group ten people maybe had all the gear champagne banners plastic cups music and cameras waiting then two girls appeared off the flight they must have been traveling for some time as the welcome was heart warming. Corks popping singing laughing and tears. Isn't that what families are all about. Then my ex appeared, we were home in just 20 minutes from Heathrow where I handed over control of the fish and the dog. Only lost two fish in a month which was good.....(y)

Buttons ... after the words 'then my ex appeared' you forgot to put that once more champagne was flowing, corks were popping, hugs and tears abounded .... or is that my imagination gone wild? ;)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Both my boys accuse me of being Jack Byrnes @Jim , they think I have a Dug out in the guts of my Frankia where I do all my spy-work on my grand-sprogs.

Turns out I'm a Focker though as I taught all my Grand-sprogs to say aaaasssss-hhoooll.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons ... after the words 'then my ex appeared' you forgot to put that once more champagne was flowing, corks were popping, hugs and tears abounded .... or is that my imagination gone wild? ;)
No I did get a kiss and a hug but alas no champagne. Sounds odd to some I guess but it works for us. She had a fantastic time in the states by the way.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back