I am considering a first ebike (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I've just spoken to the next closest store to me and got the same answer.
I guess I'll have to try and find somewhere that will let me test ride before purchase if I can.
You can ride them around the store. It's what most people do. Try a quiet time and go for it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You can ride them around the store. It's what most people do. Try a quiet time and go for it.
Better than nothing but not really a good reflection on what the bike would be like on the roads.... At least it would give headlight a chance to see if a bike would be feasible to use.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Better than nothing but not really a good reflection on what the bike would be like on the roads.... At least it would give headlight a chance to see if a bike would be feasible to use.
The store I sat on one in I could have gone 20ft max and couldn't turn it unless I was a trick cyclist lol
One of the other stores in Cardiff is small as I've driven past it.
I assume Decathlon might be the biggest and there is one 20 minutes away.
They might not have what I actually buy but they have 20' folders so I can see if I'm OK doing a few peddles without falling off :ROFLMAO:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, Iā€™ve been thinking of one of these instead of the present Bafang front wheel motor bike ( which will soon be up for sale). Did you consider the Tero X6 as well, which seems more powerful but significantly more expensive?
They were doing a deal on the X5 got it for Ā£2800 instead of Ā£4500, the x6 is Ā£5500,.
The x6 does have slightly better components shocks, chain set etc., but not that much better.
The 70nm motor on the X5 is more that enough on the steepest hills. I did try an X4 with 50nm motor even that was far better than my Scott with a Bosch 50 nm Active line motor.
My mate has just bought a Calondale with a Bosch 84nm motor didn't seem anymore powerful than the Specialized 70nm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've just spoken to the next closest store to me and got the same answer.
I guess I'll have to try and find somewhere that will let me test ride before purchase if I can.
Try Cycles U.K. I had several test rides on various bikes also rented a few as well before I settled on the e-bike I wanted

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Interesting thread. Does anyone use the electric Brompton? Are they any good? They're obviously very expensive but it seems to me that they may be the smallest folder. Many of the bikes that I see advertised or talked about would be too large for my PVC garage.
Yes, I do - well - sort of. I've got a Brompton C-Line that I electrified with a Pendix kit. The end result is very similar to an electric Brompton, as is the price, but I prefer it. I have ridden a genuine electric Brompton several miles & they are also a good bit of kit. Over kill for just occasionally popping to the shop - not on suitability, for which they are ideal, but because as you rightly say, they are expensive.

A Brompton is pretty much for life - there are many 20+ year olds still running around. Apart from build quality, the requirements you would need to have to justify buying one are:
Nothing fold as small as a Brompton. It is also the only one I know of that folds with the chain inside the fold, so less likely to get oil on your or other people's clothes (belt drives avoid this problem altogether, but are equally expensive). Not only does this save space in your camper, it also means that you can take it into your destination, be that pub, office, shop, etc. No risk of it getting nicked from outside. It also doubles as a shopping trolley in the supermarket. I've never had anyone say 'You can't bring that thing in here'. Get one with a rear rack - it rolls much better in folded form that one without.
Designed for public transport, so ideal if you need to go Campsite - Bike - Bus - Train - Bike - City Centre or similar.

Don't be put off by the small wheels. They make the bike very nimble - like driving a sports car instead of a family saloon. You certainly don't want to go crashing through pot holes, but it's much easier to avoid them than on a bike with full size wheels. But it does work best as a city bike - it's not primarily designed for long distance riding, although people do some amazing journeys on them. It is designed as a means of convenient transport, not as a sports bike for the keep fit brigade.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

You could try these at leat you'll know if you can stay upright

Different bike types without too much of an outlay ?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
A couple of words in praise of the MiRider GB3. It has a carbon fibre belt rather than a chain. (No dripping oil). It has rear suspension but not front suspension. It does not need it. There is next to no weight on the front end and thus it is unnecessary. It has novel Sturmey Archer type gears built into the crankcase so you can change gear while peddling and when stationary e.g at traffic lights. It also has a thumb throttle that powers you up to circa 4 mph. That helps avoid a wobble e.g when setting off from traffic lights when first standing on the pedals to get going. Finally MiRider has a policy of continuous upgrades so you don't have to replace your bike every few years. You can upgrade if the new features(s) matter to you. It is not difficult to acquire one new for circa Ā£2,250 if you shop around.

At that price it is likely overkill for the OP but others may be interested. Mine gets used for shopping, keeping fit and riding back the 8 miles from my garage when the car is in for service. On my newly acquired MoHo it will go in the passenger footwell when in transit and then will be unfolded and stored in the garage of my Hobby Van overnight.

P.S. For anyone local I think it highly likely that you can get a ride around the large yard space at MiRider HQ in Wigan. They test ride each bike there before shipment (and Winstanleys is just round the corner which is where I got mine at a discounted price!)

Chris

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Have been looking at one of those for my wife but they only have the 30nm motor they have been promising a 50nm. nice light bike 17kg but no suspension & it's just dropped in price to Ā£2Ā½k.

I would suggest the wife take a Vado for a spin. As the bike is so light, it doesnā€™t have all that weight to pull up the hill. They are a great price and you can add an extra battery if you are travelling long distances.

I am seriously looking at purchasing one.

My Vado SL helps me up the hills just as well as my old Bosch-powered bike, despite the smaller motor. It's about 10kg lighter than my old one which makes such a difference that I don't even notice its lower power output. Being lighter it's also so much easier to move around and load into the MH. And they come in pretty colours too :blusher:

Its true that it doesn't have any suspension which isn't a problem for me most of the time, but I know lots of people have added suspension seat posts and stems (Redshift seems to be a popular option) to make the ride more comfy. My only criticism would be that the Vado SL has stupidly wide handlebars! I know it comes from the mountain biking side of things, but it doesn't make much sense on what's basically a road bike (it can cope with light off-roading, but I wouldn't be doing any serious mountain biking on it). Still, that's nothing that can't be solved with a hacksaw ;)

Sep 5, 2017
Funster No
They were doing a deal on the X5 got it for Ā£2800 instead of Ā£4500, the x6 is Ā£5500,.
The x6 does have slightly better components shocks, chain set etc., but not that much better.
The 70nm motor on the X5 is more that enough on the steepest hills. I did try an X4 with 50nm motor even that was far better than my Scott with a Bosch 50 nm Active line motor.
My mate has just bought a Calondale with a Bosch 84nm motor didn't seem anymore powerful than the Specialized 70nm.
Thanks. Thatā€™s helpful. Some good prices on the X5 at moment but problem is finding a size Large in stock.

Sep 5, 2017
Funster No
Yes, I do - well - sort of. I've got a Brompton C-Line that I electrified with a Pendix kit. The end result is very similar to an electric Brompton, as is the price, but I prefer it. I have ridden a genuine electric Brompton several miles & they are also a good bit of kit. Over kill for just occasionally popping to the shop - not on suitability, for which they are ideal, but because as you rightly say, they are expensive.

A Brompton is pretty much for life - there are many 20+ year olds still running around. Apart from build quality, the requirements you would need to have to justify buying one are:
Nothing fold as small as a Brompton. It is also the only one I know of that folds with the chain inside the fold, so less likely to get oil on your or other people's clothes (belt drives avoid this problem altogether, but are equally expensive). Not only does this save space in your camper, it also means that you can take it into your destination, be that pub, office, shop, etc. No risk of it getting nicked from outside. It also doubles as a shopping trolley in the supermarket. I've never had anyone say 'You can't bring that thing in here'. Get one with a rear rack - it rolls much better in folded form that one without.
Designed for public transport, so ideal if you need to go Campsite - Bike - Bus - Train - Bike - City Centre or similar.

Don't be put off by the small wheels. They make the bike very nimble - like driving a sports car instead of a family saloon. You certainly don't want to go crashing through pot holes, but it's much easier to avoid them than on a bike with full size wheels. But it does work best as a city bike - it's not primarily designed for long distance riding, although people do some amazing journeys on them. It is designed as a means of convenient transport, not as a sports bike for the keep fit brigade.
For many years weā€™ve had a pair of Bromptons electrified with Nano kits - theyā€™ve been brilliant and as an Oldie I can still manage easily to lift them on to the bike rack ( no garage). Use power tool batteries so easy to carry extra batteries for range. Not the best however for rutted tracks but a good compromise as v easily folded for buses/ trains. But not cheap.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We buy direct from manufacturers....so far we haven't had a bad fit or unsuitable bike...we know what we want and what they offer us should suit our riding....I was given a Cube to test a while back....it wasn't exactly what we needed...but I have it a good work out...photo below during test...
Screenshot_2024-05-16-14-33-04-540_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
We buy direct from manufacturers....so far we haven't had a bad fit or unsuitable bike...we know what we want and what they offer us should suit our riding....I was given a Cube to test a while back....it wasn't exactly what we needed...but I have it a good work out...photo below during test...View attachment 897849
Pretty nimble for a 72-year-old!

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Hi, I would like to add my two pennysworth.
We bought 2 Juicy (owned by French Co Neomouv) "Open Ticket" pedal assisted electric bikes.
They have full size wheels, alloy frames, built into the frame batteries, hydraulic disc brakes.....etc etc choice of step through or leg over frame . But the biggest plus is that for a decent full size bike they only weigh 16Kg (including the battery) They are also made in Portugal so no nasty cheep Chinese parts. I would definitely recommend you give them a look.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi, I would like to add my two pennysworth.
We bought 2 Juicy (owned by French Co Neomouv) "Open Ticket" pedal assisted electric bikes.
They have full size wheels, alloy frames, built into the frame batteries, hydraulic disc brakes.....etc etc choice of step through or leg over frame . But the biggest plus is that for a decent full size bike they only weigh 16Kg (including the battery) They are also made in Portugal so no nasty cheep Chinese parts. I would definitely recommend you give them a look.
Do they have stock now they were struggling for a while nice bikes

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
We buy direct from manufacturers....so far we haven't had a bad fit or unsuitable bike...we know what we want and what they offer us should suit our riding....I was given a Cube to test a while back....it wasn't exactly what we needed...but I have it a good work out...photo below during test...View attachment 897849
Hi, what was the Cube bike ?
And what would you recommend for a mix of road and off-road ?
Thanks!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, what was the Cube bike ?
And what would you recommend for a mix of road and off-road ?
Thanks!
The bike in that photo is a Cube Stereo....

I using for a mix of road off road is a Cube Grand Canyon On 9...
It's not an expensive bike...but is great fun to ride...last month I did 1000km on it mainly off road...
750w battery, hardtail with pretty good spec allround....even got ABS braking....

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The bike in that photo is a Cube Stereo....

I using for a mix of road off road is a Cube Grand Canyon On 9...
It's not an expensive bike...but is great fun to ride...last month I did 1000km on it mainly off road...
750w battery, hardtail with pretty good spec allround....even got ABS braking....
Actually what I sit my rear end on is a Canyon not a Cube...my dearest rides a Cube...we both have just retired our YT Decoys after 4 years of thrills and spills....

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I've just bought two folding bikes that will fit in the back of my van. Pedibal Navigata. At the 'value for money' end of the market but I think on the face of it pretty good value at that.

7 speed Shimano gears, with a rear hub motor. 9.6 Ah battery in the aluminium body. 20 inch wheels. About 19kg each. Fit into their own carry bags for transporting in the van.

The 'party trick' with this one is that, if you like, you can buy them with individual DVSA approval for the scooter-like twist and go throttle. Price without the throttle Ā£ 999, with the throttle Ā£ 200 more. We got both with the throttle - they apparently sell two of these for every one without the throttle. It was also good for my wife's peace of mind - she can pull away without worrying about low speed wobbles until she gets a bit more comfortable with it.

You can potter around throttle only on the level but on steep hills - I live next to a killer hill in the Chilterns - you need to select a low gear, level 5 assistance on the touch screen (it retains the more conventional controls and you can switch off the twist and go throttle feature), and pedal your way up. Even with only a 40nm motor it made quite easy work of it.

As we live within half an hour of where they are we popped around to their premises. They let us test drive and generally play with the bikes for a good half an hour before deciding to buy. Lovely, helpful team.

The throttle only thing isn't in line with EU legislation as we understand it (and no-one has suggested differently), but I think when in Rome we'll simply need to pedal like Romans. (And if they still stop me for some reason I'll flash my DVSA certificate and say I'm just here on holiday.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back