Hymer skylight tip (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This for some (most) of you may be obvious, but for someone who doesn't ‘do’ much on the repair front due to often making things worse, thought I would share this in the hope of helping others less inclined to do such things

our Hymer is getting quite old now, but it was the first of a new design and quite likely the winding mechanism on the skylights was used for so time and possibly still is

our winders have been a little stiff to turn at times and we have previously broken 2 of the flimsy plastic handles , thankfully now that I carry 2 spares we haven’t broken another 🤔👍 hopefully the design was improved just enough to prevent such breakages and we now have newer ones fitted 👍

if you are still reading, what I have learnt is silicone spray is awesome 😁

we had our MH cleaned a few weeks ago and I always lift the skylights so he can clean underneath. The main skylight over dining table would hardly move, took about 20 minutes of tiny moves to get it half open , just enough to reach under from above and investigate by touch from inside

the mechanism is ridiculously complicated, the handle is attached to this (I will explain photo later)

C4CB8BE2-8E81-4C18-9D78-DD393B818B59.jpeg

96ABAD61-82AE-4576-9AE9-DB472CE9CFAB.jpeg

The handle turns the spindle, which then moves 2 cogs to move bars that lift the roof light, bit like mousetrap 🤔🤣

my valeter reported that there were a few leaves around the cogs, cleared those but no difference . I then remembered we had WD40 and sprayed some from inside over cogs

no significant change but it did seem to close a little more easily , when away the other weekend it was virtually seized solid

I did then search other threads on here and discovered the cogs are plastic , and that the last thing you should do is spray them with WD40 😳

back home and researched replacement skylights, which being Hymer are both complicated and expensive and mostly no longer available 🤔🤬

found on eBay Brownhills selling just the mechanism in photo above, still not cheap, but in stock so ordered, delivered for total £98

I also bought a can of silicone spray, WD40 also sell that, but to avoid confusion at a future date I bought a different make. It arrived before the new part, I decided to give it a go and forced the handle to turn just enough to open the skylight and gave it a good spray, no obvious change in operation but it was forecast dry so left open to apply some more later

later became the next day, the new part had arrived and I went out to see how it would fit, tried the handle and it turned more easily than it had ever done 😁👍

the silicone spray had seemingly reversed and damage I might have caused and fixed the original reluctance to turn . All others now sprayed and turn so smoothly 😁👍

I do still have another problem to fix that from other threads I see is disappointingly common 🤔, the turning mechanism passes through a hole in the roof 😳 presumably with sealant under the plate that on mine has now failed, we get a trickle of water through the handle when the roof has standing water 🙁 I am going to try just sealing the edges, but fear I might need to remove the bracket and seal underneath

but just for now I am going to wallow in the minor victory of fixing the winder 😁👍 the step is also going to get some later 😁

Last edited:

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Hi David,

Hope you and Bev are well.

We too had the problem of water coming through the handle, the solution is to get the rooflight off and a get the frame resealed to the body. Whilst this was being done I mentioned that the winding mechanism was tight, so with easy access white lithium grease was sprayed in the area and along the winder bar.

We had the roof light resealed by https://onewayleisure.co.uk/ all nice and dry and easy to turn.

I have subsequently reached in and sprayed all the other winder mechanisms with white lithium grease. Much cheaper than buying new handles and winder mechanisms.

Anthony

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David,

Hope you and Bev are well.

We too had the problem of water coming through the handle, the solution is to get the rooflight off and a get the frame resealed to the body. Whilst this was being done I mentioned that the winding mechanism was tight, so with easy access white lithium grease was sprayed in the area and along the winder bar.

We had the roof light resealed by https://onewayleisure.co.uk/ all nice and dry and easy to turn.

Anthony

Morning Antony

trouble is, the winding mechanism is not within the roof light opening

We had a serious leak some years ago and had the roof light removed and resealed , thank you Terry 👍

a leak through the winding mechanism or roof light aperture would most likely find its way down to the handle as it’s the lowest point

I am fairly sure our current ‘trickle’ leak is getting under the winding mechanism mounting plate, then down beside the spindle hole 🙁🤔👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Today I have had delivered a ‘roll of mastic’ , seems a great way to buy and apply for those like me that are not gifted in the ‘doing things’ area 🤔

I have made a right mess in the past with a sealant gun

image.jpg

this is to apply along the winding handle mounting plate, that I have no chance of reaching, let alone removing without getting on the roof, but think I can do this from inside now I can raise the skylight 😁👍

will report back once applied and it rains next 👍

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I use silicone spray on many moving /sliding parts at home and in the motorhome including occasionally in the cassette trap which was slightly leaking through and cured following a couple of applications of silicone spray.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back