Hymer reading lights. (2 Viewers)

Deleted User
Morning all. Recently had one of the 2 reading lights over the beds fail, it's the dimming type with a blue touch button. We don't often use these but it's looks a challenge to replace, has anyone done this themselves please?
Thanks.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have the same lights one of ours if you turn it on you can’t turn it off, so I disconnected it.
Simple to remove ours has a small screw in one end.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think you have to replace the whole unit.
Try hymer owners group on fb .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Is it these ones?

D75F9F9A-0B41-490A-897D-65F018C26E8B.jpeg
We had three go bad. One or two were replaced under warranty. The whole unit has to be replaced. Our original units used to get hot making me wonder if the higher voltage when on EHU was the cause of the LEDs getting dimmer and eventually failing? I keep a couple of spares now as it would be difficult to replace them with something that didn’t look odd.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All three of ours went at different times. Just got dimmer and dimmer. And yes I know it has a dimming facility but it was not that. Dealer said they are notorious for failing. The bulb is not replaceable so I had to buy new ones

Easy enough to replace. Just unscrew one screw and it dropped down. First one I did I tried to trace the wires back to a junction, which was a right faff. After that I just pulled the wires out as far as I could and then cut them and joined the new ones using wago connectors. There is enough room to push them up through the hole one by one.

If they fail again, I will try to get alternative ones with replaceable bulbs.

OP
OP

Deleted User
All three of ours went at different times. Just got dimmer and dimmer. And yes I know it has a dimming facility but it was not that. Dealer said they are notorious for failing. The bulb is not replaceable so I had to buy new ones

Easy enough to replace. Just unscrew one screw and it dropped down. First one I did I tried to trace the wires back to a junction, which was a right faff. After that I just pulled the wires out as far as I could and then cut them and joined the new ones using wago connectors. There is enough room to push them up through the hole one by one.

If they fail again, I will try to get alternative ones with replaceable bulbs.

Thanks for this. Filled with renewed enthusiasm I found a small inspection cover in the top locker. Having removed this there is just sufficient room to fondle the cables and find the connections down to the fitting. I have now ordered 2 from Amazon and look forward to the battle to replace one. I did think of replacing all these for similar, more basic design, but decided against in case in the future an eagle eyes purchaser spots the difference.
Thanks one and all.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I think he's mellowed since he bought his hymer, not from travelworld ??
Are you sure? He went ballistic when I asked if others had any doubts about the origin of a Reich pump offer he had created. He turned it into a personal attack on him. I suggested he grow up and then, after a short exchange of views, kicked out. I only knew that when trying to reply with a good by!

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I had them on a 2015 Eriba Triton caravan. One of them used to turn itself off after a couple of minuets. Great they aint. The non dimmable type on my Hymer seem ok though

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our original units used to get hot making me wonder if the higher voltage when on EHU was the cause of the LEDs
They don’t use a higher voltage when on ECU the still use the leisure batteries.?

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
They don’t use a higher voltage when on ECU the still use the leisure batteries.?
They do see a higher voltage.

The “bulk charge” phase from our Hymer Electroblok and additional Schaudt chargers when we previously used AGM batteries applied a higher voltage of up to 14.3 volts to the leisure batteries for 16 hours. Any appliance or light in use at the same time also received this higher voltage.

It is not possible for a leisure battery being charged at the higher voltage of 14.3 volts to simultaneously be supplying, say, only 12.5 volts to the leisure circuits.

In the “float” charger phase this drops to 13.8 volts. Off of EHU the battery will vary between 13 and 12 volts.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Morning all. Recently had one of the 2 reading lights over the beds fail, it's the dimming type with a blue touch button. We don't often use these but it's looks a challenge to replace, has anyone done this themselves please?
Thanks.

Job done thank goodness!
It was tight terminating the cables but just room in the compartment in the corner of the overhead locker. We now have 2 extra USB charging ports as well after advise here. Thanks all.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks.

Job done thank goodness!
It was tight terminating the cables but just room in the compartment in the corner of the overhead locker. We now have 2 extra USB charging ports as well after advise here. Thanks all.

What happened there?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I must be living on borrowed time, none have gone in my last Hymer or my current one.

I did have one of the lights around the rooflight flashing. They are the Dometic ones found them on a German site for £20. I just replaced the insert for £4 from eBay, couldn't get a 3 LED one so fitted one with I think 6 LED it doesn't notice.

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I remember now. Our first warranty failure fell apart. A nut came loose but it didn’t seem possible to disassemble it to repair, The replacement just got dimmer until it failed after a year or so. Then one above the bed did the same outside of the warranty so I had to start buying replacements online. These have been ok for a couple of years now. I recall you don’t use EHU Lenny and i imagine it possible that when you use saloon lights your leisure battery voltage is often in the mid 12v (or less than 13v anyway)? On site with EHU we would often be driving the lights at 14.3v dropping to 13.8v on float and they used to get hot. This lends support to my theory that some of these lights (perhaps earlier versions) failed because they were not tolerant of the higher voltage. I’ve just felt out replacement lights (fully dimmed) and they are cold.

I also had one of the rooflight 3 LED units flashing in the early days and thought I would have to replace it but it’s been ok for a few years after I tinkered with it.

Good the OP got a result and let us know. It makes trying to help more rewarding.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I learnt something, I never knew my reading lights had dimmers.

Was going to put it down to "real men don't read instructions". Dragged the Hymer book out, no mention of it, just tells you how to turn them on and off.

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Neither did the service tech at Premier when I first mentioned it! The last dimming level is stored until the habitation power is turned off.

When fully dimmed and used in conjunction with some ambient, v warm-white LED tape and key fob wireless dimmer attached with Velcro near the drivers seat, a very cosy saloon can be yours.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010

Was going to put it down to "real men don't read instructions". Dragged the Hymer book out, no mention of it, just tells you how to turn them on and off.
We'll, Lenny HB , neither did I until about a week ago! No mention, either by the dealer when new or in any manual. They do get hot, though.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We'll, Lenny HB , neither did I until about a week ago! No mention, either by the dealer when new or in any manual. They do get hot, though.
So come on then tell us how to dim them I didn’t know they were dimmable if you give me the info I’ll give it a go?thanks in advance.?

OP
OP

Deleted User
So come on then tell us how to dim them I didn’t know they were dimmable if you give me the info I’ll give it a go?thanks in advance.?
Hold your finger on the button when illuminated.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

That makes two of us ? mind you we have only just found the cutlery draw and thanks to you our aerial ?

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
I’ll have to check mine, when travel world did the hab check last year they said one led fitting was not as bright as the other

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back