Hymer Mercedes dash top removal (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It seems like we have little option but to change the turbo on our Hymer, trouble is the only way to it is engine out or possibly / hopefully from top down

My workshop are independent Mercedes but don't do motorhomes normally, after mine if it wasn't for the fact that he is a long term family friend he wouldn't be doing mine let alone any others!!

Has anybody any experience in removing a whole top of dash on a Mercedes based Hymer, 2007/8 model 800S, but more or less the identical dash on current models and quite likely earlier models

Or does anybody already know that we still will not get at the turbo from this route, I don't really want the greasy overalls inside if there is no gain to be made :) , only joking there, Bev has already issued brand new overalls, but there is no way to get it off from the bonnet access, it looks like we would have to drop the engine :( if we cant get at it from inside

still only 50/50 we will fix the problem with intermittent limp mode, but have found out there was an issue around that time, only option is full turbo kit from Mercedes, all upgrades / refurbs may well have the original fault still there, not worth the risk at this stage, much too big a job to change to save money on a cheaper option

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OK, simpler question maybe

If we take the dash off our A class Hymer will we be able to see the top of the engine

Anybody had theirs off, are they screwed or glued?

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think you will have direct access once the cosmetic panels are out of the way. Some while ago teamyob had problems with his Frankia I think it was and it had a lump of plywood over the top of the engine, I would have expected more to be honest as I know ours is quite well filled in and insulated.

Possibly a mail to Hymer factory might help.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe not much help but possibly using a small inspection mirror and a bright torch through the bonnet may help if you can work out if its the under side of the dash top and find any fixing points and see if there are any glue marks where it has oozed if glued.
There must be some sort of battens attached to the fibreglass body to support/fix the dash

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back