Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hi folks, I was wondering if you could advise us novices or point us in the right direction.... We have a Hymer B544 2000 with an Electrolux fridge with freezer box in it. I have noticed over time the fridge has decreased in its cooling capacity on gas to a point that now it isn't getting cool whatsoever and all of our food went a bit south , it's weird because the built in freezer works perfectly. We have tested the fridge over night on electric hookup and the fridge works perfect (the freezer too). So we're on a near enough full gas bottle so it can't be lack of gas (excuse my lack of knowledge) so hmmm, we've run out ideas. Anybody any thoughts? I've booked it into our local service centre but they say they need it for three days and thats not until 17/07, so I was wondering if we might be able to fix it ourselves before then as we have a big road trip coming up in Aug and Sep and we need to be able to keep some of our babies food cold at times...although worse case scenario...I just bung it all in the freezer I guess, we refuse to be beaten haha. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20180624_104745.jpg
    IMG_20180624_104745.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20180624_104706.jpg
    IMG_20180624_104706.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20180624_104856.jpg
    IMG_20180624_104856.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 59

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
When was it last serviced? The gas burner system needs checking every couple of years (yearly if you are using it a lot or full-timing).
If it has not been done for a while it almost certainly needs a new gas jet and possibly a new burner cup assembly.
As you have a B544 servicing may have been neglected because you need access to the bottom vent and in some like yours, Hymer fitted that vent behind the grey rear bumper. If so, it’s a sod of a job as you have two option: remove the bumper or remove the fridge.
You should also note that Electrolux fridges were taken over by Dometic several years ago so now, the parts are listed as Dometic. You need the model and product numbers to ensure you get the correct parts.

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hi Jean Luc , we've only had it a year but judging by the top vent (we can't see a bottom vent so I think you must be right in saying its under the bumper) it was filthy inside, we took the top vent off and cleaned the fins so I would say it probably hasn't been seviced in a long time. We've had the bumper off before (but don't recall seeing a bottom vent....however we weren't looking for it at the time) to reseal the back right corner of the van. So I imagine that might be the best way for us....if I order these parts....how tricky is it to actually fit them? Does it need a genius and are the parts easy to get to? Thanks for your advice, we're really happy that it could be positive news and it might not be dead, yay. Oh my husband has just looked under the van and there is a vent there with wires (photo attached) could this be the vent?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_20180624_112400.jpg
    IMG_20180624_112400.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hi Jean Luc , we've only had it a year but judging by the top vent (we can't see a bottom vent so I think you must be right in saying its under the bumper) it was filthy inside, we took the top vent off and cleaned the fins so I would say it probably hasn't been seviced in a long time. We've had the bumper off before (but don't recall seeing a bottom vent....however we weren't looking for it at the time) to reseal the back right corner of the van. So I imagine that might be the best way for us....if I order these parts....how tricky is it to actually fit them? Does it need a genius and are the parts easy to get to? Thanks for your advice, we're really happy that it could be positive news and it might not be dead, yay. Oh my husband has just looked under the van and there is a vent there with wires (photo attached) could this be the vent?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That could well be the bottom vent, in which case the fridge has to come out to be serviced. That also means getting at the gas connection, which may be accessible through the top vent, and probably disconnecting the 12v and 230v cables which are in connector blocks on the top of the fridge. Is yours fitted under a hob? If so that has to come out too - sorry.
Before going any further, try and look up under the rear bumper to see if there are any signs of a vent as that might be an easier way in.
I have a slightly later fridge model in a B630 and as it is mounted on the side, not rear of the van, I can access both vents. Not a benefit I realised when we bought the van! Ideally you should look at the fridge manual if you have it to confirm where the various connections are. If you don’t have one, try searching for a downloadable copy.
Jim, the ‘Fun’ owner and ringleader used to have a B544 and, I believe, took the fridge out for servicing. You might send him a PM for advice.
Final warning; don’t poke anything down the gas flue via the top vent without removing the baffle first. It is a short strip of twisted metal that hangs in the tube from a wire and hook that hangs over the top of the tube. In fact, leave the flue alone until you can access the burner at the bottom because any muck falling falling down onto the burner will make matters worse.
Good luck.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Disconnect gas through top vent, remove 4 screws under caps in fridge internal sidewalls (just inside door top & bottom each side), then ease fridge out. Ease might be the wrong word because it will be tight so push from the rear through top vent until it moves then lift & pull from the front. Use the open door to pull and lift. Remove the door (one screw top hinge) when it's half way out. Once it has moved out sufficiently you can disconnect the electrics on top. You will of course have turned off gas & electric before you started! There's no need to remove the hob & apart from the tight fit it's easier than my description makes it sound.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Great advice Tony if they can do it. Mine had to come out last year for a new thermostat and the cables were too tight to allow sufficient forward movement. Also, there is a water drain in the hob above on mine that is piped to the adjacent sink and the connection fouled the fridge top so the hob had to come up.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Great advice Tony if they can do it. Mine had to come out last year for a new thermostat and the cables were too tight to allow sufficient forward movement. Also, there is a water drain in the hob above on mine that is piped to the adjacent sink and the connection fouled the fridge top so the hob had to come up.
My experience was based on 2005 B584. It had the same hob drain (rear right) but it missed the fridge. The cables were tight but clipping a few ties released just enough to get at the terminals. I altered the cable route once it was out to make re-connection a little easier. The lower vent on mine was through a grill on the floor. The 'normal' rear vent was also cut but only to the outer skin - the aluminium outer was intact.

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hi guys, thanks for all of the advice, I will have a peruse and google before going and having a look...as I have to be honest I've no idea what "gas jet and possibly a new burner cup assembly," "That also means getting at the gas connection," "12v and 230v cables which are in connector blocks," "gas flue via the top vent without removing the baffle first" even look like so best be sure what I'm looking for in the first place haha. I have a friend who is pretty good with plumbing so I might show him your replies first and see if he understands and if so...take the bumper off and drag him around to look haha. Failing that....does it just sound like I need to ask for a fridge/freezer service from the motorhome shop...we live in France so it might be a bit difficult for me to translate baffle and burner cup etc ;-)
Thanks again Helen

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hi guys, I don't know whether you'll see this reply or whether the post has now been closed...i haven;t used forums very often before, well only on here twice haha, I'm learning. So it was great to hear all of your replies and you all sound like a knowledgeable bunch! But unfortunately we didn't have the courage to do it ourselves...so we've booked her in at a motorhome place in Limoges not to far from us in France. I've told them that the gas for the fridge and freezer hasnt' been serviced for a long time and I think there is a blockage (is this correct). They've booked her in for a gas service and reackon it will only take two hours....I did try to say that they may struggle to get to the access pannels etc...but I guess they'll have experience with this and know what they're doing. I suppose what I really want to know is, is it the right thing I've asked for a gas service for the fridge? Thanks in advance again haha, we've also got a bit of leak which seems to be coming from the back window...as when it's rained there's wet on the blind when I pull it up....I suppose I shall save that for another day when we've cured our fridge (n)(n). Thanks again for you're help and you never know maybe one day we can offer assistance to some other poor clueless souls :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back