hymer b584 kitchen snap skylight break (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi All
I broke the spring loaded arm today, super glue wont do, too much pressure on spring. can I get new component or the whole skylight, and could I remove the top for better access to fit it?
Clumsy steph

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
yes, that looks like the right thing, I dont see any spring in the end attached to the handle where mine broke though, did yours have the spring? and I take it I will have to unscrew the handle from the top as no screw showing from bottom? or did you remove the whole top to replace the handle? so many questions ...sorry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The springs are in side the plastic arm and are only visible when they break.
To fit I opened the vent and removed the four screws from the top of the vent( be careful the vent cover is in 2 pieces) and then the arms push off the side pins. When replacing arms on side pins I greased the pins slightly and used pliers to pop new arms on, clean between vent covers and refit.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks for that! went to check the front one for size and make, only to find that has one broken too, so I need to by two, still I'll have some old ones should they break again. I could not see a Hertal trade name/mark but the one you sent on amason looks right, I think you also have a 2001 hymer I seem to remember.
I bought a ladder from homebase today, I need to shorten it a couple of inches to make it fit into the aft locker that runs right through but think it might be a little short as it is , so its still in the plastic?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes mines a 2001 B584 and I also couldn't find any maker marks on the roof vent and that's partly why I bought from Amazon so I could get a refund, here are the photos off my broken ones
image-jpeg.98157

image-jpeg.98157
image-jpeg.98157
image-jpeg.98157
image-jpeg.98158

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Oh thanks so much, thats just perfect! , will order two today.
Do you have a fixed ladder at the back, use a free standing ladder, or have some other ingenious method of getting on the roof. I did climb up the bike wrack for a look but thought 13 stone might be pushing my luck, dont want to break anything else , if I can help it!?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes I do have a rear ladder but the entreat broke on mine was over the over cab bed so had to use a normal ladder up the side rather than walk the whole length of van on the roof, which would be ok but easier to use a ladder on the side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back