Hydrogen Power (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Just read the post on the electric vehicle emissions and that got me thinking about the adverts I saw in the caravan and motorhome mag. a couple of years ago regarding the conversion from diesel to hydrogen power and stated that it produced zero emissions. I have not seen them for a while and wondered if anyone ever had the conversion done, does it work and is the company still operating.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hydrogen powered vehicles seem to have fizzled out. They do produce emissions, nitrogen dioxide mostly, but they are also, when viewed in the round, not that efficient. The hydrogen is produced by electricity and is then burned in an internal combustion engine. It is much more efficient to use the electricity directly to charge a battery in the vehicle.
Motorhomes are a niche market so we will end up with whatever is best for vans and light trucks. :)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hydrogen powered vehicles seem to have fizzled out. They do produce emissions, nitrogen dioxide mostly, but they are also, when viewed in the round, not that efficient. The hydrogen is produced by electricity and is then burned in an internal combustion engine. It is much more efficient to use the electricity directly to charge a battery in the vehicle.
Motorhomes are a niche market so we will end up with whatever is best for vans and light trucks. :)

Hopefully not fizzled out. My friend has an SME which is exploring the use of hydrogen power for large truck freight. I don’t think it’s there yet, but the last I heard there were some trials of the technology in USA.

https://ulemco.com/?page_id=862

https://www.borntoengineer.com/uk-company-to-demonstrate-zero-emission-hydrogen-combustion-engine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back