Humming Noise from above cab above 45mph (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We have a Hymer T674CL of 2013 vintage. A loud humming noise has started to come from the roof of the cab from as low as about 45mph. At speeds of 65mph plus it is unbearable.

At first we thought it was the cab rooflight. Now I believe it to be the grey plastic trim panel with the Hymer logo (see photo).

Hymer cab roof.jpg

By opening the rooflight I can get to the rear (upper) edge of the trim panel and I find there is some flex in it.
Working around both sides of the rooflight I have managed to reach some of the panel to tape down the
trailing edge, however there is not enough reach to do all the trailing edge. (I cannot reach the centre section
ie above the Hymer logo)

I then went for a test run and the humming doesn't start now till a slightly higher speed and the tone of
the hum has changed. I believe this to confirm my theory.

Anyone else come across this problem, anyone got any suggestions ?

Regards Paul

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The two holes either side are they fixing points..? See if you can take it off and see if there are any spots where you could put a blob of sealant and put it back on, the blobs of sealant may be enough to stop it from vibrating..👍🏼

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I could call on the old chestnut about teaching it the words. 😀

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you tied a length of string on it and trailed it through the rooflight you could play a tune as you go along. (y)

BYTESIZE

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 8, 2021
sunny donny
Funster No
MH
C Class Hymer
Exp
We have a Hymer T674CL of 2013 vintage. A loud humming noise has started to come from the roof of the cab from as low as about 45mph. At speeds of 65mph plus it is unbearable.

At first we thought it was the cab rooflight. Now I believe it to be the grey plastic trim panel with the Hymer logo (see photo).

View attachment 507208

By opening the rooflight I can get to the rear (upper) edge of the trim panel and I find there is some flex in it.
Working around both sides of the rooflight I have managed to reach some of the panel to tape down the
trailing edge, however there is not enough reach to do all the trailing edge. (I cannot reach the centre section
ie above the Hymer logo)

I then went for a test run and the humming doesn't start now till a slightly higher speed and the tone of
the hum has changed. I believe this to confirm my theory.

Anyone else come across this problem, anyone got any suggestions ?

Regards Paul
Hi same vehicle same problem, ours started with problem in Switzerland a few years ago. Dealer there charged £400 to fix it, it didn't. Only found out 100miles later.
But yes it's the middle sections bonding that's let go.
On return to UK my supplying dealer, lowdhams, repaired it under warranty. Fingers crossed still OK now.
And yes it was VERY loud when faulty.
Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Pity you are so far away as we have a "step and working platform" (like they use in warehouses and bought cheap at auction) that would probably given you access from outside.

You would be more than welcome to come up and have a go if you wish. PM me if you need more details.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back