HUD display (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
I know they’ve been discussed before but can’t find the thread. Does anyone have one and can give feedback. Do they just plug into the cigarette lighter? TIA

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There you go, your lost thread. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
avoid the OBD plug in ones, as these are a security risk giving access to the port for thieves.

Guyadria

Free Member
Aug 20, 2021
Staplehurst, Tonbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Returning to MHoming after 11 years
Hello @Guyadria.. interested in the Powcan but your link does not say anything about needing to be plugged into OBD2 port..
Just into 12v supply.

My apologies. Sorry for the confusion but there are two different ones that look the same. This is the OBD2 version which is the one I have. Ikikin

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
avoid the OBD plug in ones, as these are a security risk giving access to the port for thieves.
Surely any thief who gets access into your (unoccupied) van can access the OBD2 port by removing 2 screws in the knee panel in the dash … I can’t see how hanving a HUD plugged into the OBD2 port will not suddenly make your van more vulnerable..

unless i have missed some security weakness…. If so, can you please enlighten?
thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Surely any thief who gets access into your (unoccupied) van can access the OBD2 port by removing 2 screws in the knee panel in the dash … I can’t see how hanving a HUD plugged into the OBD2 port will not suddenly make your van more vulnerable..

unless i have missed some security weakness…. If so, can you please enlighten?
thanks
you can buy OBD port locks and relocation kits. The issue is simple, thieves can buy devices that plug in the OBD port that disables the various immobiliser security and drive your vehicle away without a coded key. They can also buy a device that reads the physical lock and mimics a key within seconds. If you have a typical alarm, opening the lock turns off the alarm

The value of motorhomes makes them a bigger target than a normal van and plenty get stolen each year. So yes, locking the OBD port is essential

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I've
you can buy OBD port locks and relocation kits. The issue is simple, thieves can buy devices that plug in the OBD port that disables the various immobiliser security and drive your vehicle away without a coded key. They can also buy a device that reads the physical lock and mimics a key within seconds. If you have a typical alarm, opening the lock turns off the alarm

The value of motorhomes makes them a bigger target than a normal van and plenty get stolen each year. So yes, locking the OBD port is essential
So as I said, the vulnerability is nothing to do with an OBD2 HUD, rather any vehicle with a standard OBD2 Port...

I've got a Vanbitz Strikeback and NoN Starter. That is the protection I will use.

The vast majority of cars / vans etc do not go to the time and effort to relocate OBD Sockets

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Thought about fitting OBD lock to my wife's VW New Beetle, trouble is it is close to the edge of the trim by her right knee, worried a large metal lock would protrude and could injure her if she crashes.

OP
OP
solaris
May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks TwoonTour for locating thread. That was the bit I was after. Will keep well away from odp port I think

OP
OP
solaris
May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Just taken plunge and ordered the Powcan

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Had my first outing with the HUD, plugged into 12v and off it went. Found sats quickly and displayed mph exactly same as the MH speedo. A couple of MPH quicker than the sat nav speed, but not a bad thing! (can be adjusted easily). So much easier to read than the speedo and will be extra valuable on the continent in KPH. Hard to fault for the money.

Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
Does anyone have feedback on the HUD modules that project onto to the windscreen and how useful they are? I've had a look at the Powcan per the Amazon link which looks good but it would be a similar place to where i'd have a satnav and I'm wondering if the projected image on to the windscreen is better to be in my line of vision?

Nick

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does anyone have feedback on the HUD modules that project onto to the windscreen and how useful they are? I've had a look at the Powcan per the Amazon link which looks good but it would be a similar place to where i'd have a satnav and I'm wondering if the projected image on to the windscreen is better to be in my line of vision?

Nick
all the projected ones I have seen are pretty useless in sunlight. The HUD developed for fighter pilots works well because of treated, non reflective acrylic canopies and the colours used. The cheap Chinese version relies on a small screen reflecting onto the windscreen, not a projector

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The HUD developed for fighter pilots works well because of treated, non reflective acrylic canopies and the colours used
Oki doki... anybody know where I can get a cheap fighter jet to convert to a moho???
Got to be better than a cheapo/crappo Fiat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back