Anyone tried one of these GPS speed displays? (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger

Powcan Auto Car HUD Head Up Display KMH & MPH Digital GPS Smart Speedometer with OverSpeed Alarm Voltmeter Warning, 2.2'' TFT LCD Screen, Universal for All Vehicle​

(Amazon £38)

Amazon product ASIN B07YG3BXTL

My Ducato speedo is difficult to read in daylight and KPH is super difficult to accurately read. My Satnav does have a speed reading but it is small and away from my line of sight. This HUD will display KPH or MPH with a speed exceeded warning plus several other readings of less use. Given the ever changing speed limits in France and Spain I would like to know what speed I am doing easily!.

Your thoughts / suggestions appreciated

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have one. A lot cheaper than that one though, I think mine was about £7.
Large green display switchable between mph and kph.
Very useful if speedo a bit difficult to see.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I use an old used smartphone with a free speedo app I downloaded, price, nowt. (y)
Easy to change between MPH and KPH.

1634824275401.png

Guyadria

Free Member
Aug 20, 2021
Staplehurst, Tonbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Returning to MHoming after 11 years
I have fitted the "iKiKin " version. They are all the same and around the same price on Amazon. Recommended on a previous thread. Very happy with end result. There are various display options and it also does diagnostics as it plugs into the OBD2 port. Looks neat on the dashboard. I would recommend. Guy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 28, 2009
Langford, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1995
I've had one for a while now and it's brilliant. Got it because of the crap Ducato speedo (even crapper on KPH) Runs off the 12v socket.
Bazza

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I find that the GPS reading on the sat nav reads about 3mph less than the actual speed that the speedometer reads so it's not accurate but I still use it out of habit :doh:

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I find that the GPS reading on the sat nav reads about 3mph less than the actual speed that the speedometer reads so it's not accurate but I still use it out of habit :doh:
It will be the speedo which isn't accurate. They always display a higher speed than the actual speed.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I use DigiHUD on the android phone. It clips into the pop out clipboard built into the dash. The head up bit I couldn't get used to so just have it there to read. Much easier to glance at than the Speedo or the satnav.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
It will be the speedo which isn't accurate. They always display a higher speed than the actual speed.
'Officer I wasn't speeding, my sat nav told me so' I don't think that would wash with a traffic cop :doh:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yes, they (the speedometer) can report you’re going faster that reality but NOT slower.
The SatNav/GPSr has no qualms about being within .1m/s of reality.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
'Officer I wasn't speeding, my sat nav told me so' I don't think that would wash with a traffic cop :doh:
In your scenario described above the speedometer would have you at a faster speed than the accurate SatNav 😂

Deleted User
Yes, they (the speedometer) can report you’re going faster that reality but NOT slower.
The SatNav/GPSr has no qualms about being within .1m/s of reality.
Unless you're going up a long hill when it would under report.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My Ducato speedo is difficult to read in daylight
I've read several posts about the Ducato speedo. I can't understand how a fault so basic could go all the way to production and why Fiat didn't notice and correct it during their extensive development and road trials.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Unless you're going up a long hill when it would under report.
Why? Elevation change?
The gps are sending time to the SatNav and the rate of change is converted to speed?
I expect it’ll still be accurate enough to avoid triggering a speed camera if you’re trying to be legal.
I could be wrong.

Deleted User
Why? Elevation change?
The gps are sending time to the SatNav and the rate of change is converted to speed?
I expect it’ll still be accurate enough to avoid triggering a speed camera if you’re trying to be legal.
I could be wrong.
You're not wrong but GPS displays speed across the surface of the (flat?) earth. When you go up or down hill you cover less ground horizontally but your speed on the road goes fast or slow depending what you're doing.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You're not wrong but GPS displays speed across the surface of the (flat?) earth. When you go up or down hill you cover less ground horizontally but your speed on the road goes fast or slow depending what you're doing.
I think we’re still within usable accuracy - it would need to be quite a long steep hill to be a risk for law abiding drivers 🤔
I had a quick look for info and found handheld GPSr users have done comparative testing and found them still pretty accurate.
Hand held GPSr often have altitude and distance tracking. But I’d expect a SatNav GPS receiver to know height and distance changes too. Maybe not.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018

yeh , I found the same thing , I tend to use sat nav now as it gives a (sound) speeding warning

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The Sat Nav will give an accurate speed, S.O.G Speed over Ground, don't think we have ever had a vehicle speedo that read the correct speed, they usually read 3 to 5 miles an hour fast.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Powcan Auto Car HUD Head Up Display KMH & MPH Digital GPS Smart Speedometer with OverSpeed Alarm Voltmeter Warning, 2.2'' TFT LCD Screen, Universal for All Vehicle​

(Amazon £38)

Amazon product ASIN B07YG3BXTL

My Ducato speedo is difficult to read in daylight and KPH is super difficult to accurately read. My Satnav does have a speed reading but it is small and away from my line of sight. This HUD will display KPH or MPH with a speed exceeded warning plus several other readings of less use. Given the ever changing speed limits in France and Spain I would like to know what speed I am doing easily!.

Your thoughts / suggestions appreciated
I use one of these in the car, which has a difficult to read red on black speedometer. It is neat, accurate and very easy to read. I particularly like the uncluttered display, set to just show the speed, and it is easy to switch between mph and kmph.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We used to officially test up to a 1000 vehicles on speed rollers a month at work, they were allowed to over read by up to 10% ie actually doing 63 mph when speedo was reading 70 mph if they under read by 1mph the vehicle failed.
When manufactures like Fiat make vehicles like Ducatos with different wheel sizes 15 and 16 inch although the different hight and width ratios of the specified tyres compensate to some degree for the difference in rolling circumference there will always be a varying difference in speed readings as long as its under 10% its legal.

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Took this screenshot of my satnav last week. Don’t know what the speedo was reading. 👍👍
B38AD263-4F90-4A3F-95A9-A71CE58976CA.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back