Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Is this the way to treat customers.
After moving house 18 months ago we decided to change banks to one more local to us now.
We have recently had our drive sorted and along with that was the front garden graded and gravelled. Really happy with the finished job and paid the contractor on Friday. Sunday I noticed I had a missed call at 8am and also a text from HSBC fraud asking them to verify the payment and to ring an 0345 number but not to reply via SMS. I tried ringing and found myself in a queue. (Robert doesn't do QQQ's). Today the contractor rang to say the bank had returned my money to my account. After ringing the Philippines it has now been re-instated (I think) but HSBC will not refund, nor take responsibility for this payment if it is fraudulent. The beauty is the payee's account is a business account with HSBC. Really stressed and humiliated over this. At 70 years of age and having dealt with online banking for a number of years I have never had a problem like this. What would you do ??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It may be annoying BUT it is there to PROTECT YOU ... better than the alternative surely?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
After moving house 18 months ago we decided to change banks to one more local to us now.
We have recently had our drive sorted and along with that was the front garden graded and gravelled. Really happy with the finished job and paid the contractor on Friday. Sunday I noticed I had a missed call at 8am and also a text from HSBC fraud asking them to verify the payment and to ring an 0345 number but not to reply via SMS. I tried ringing and found myself in a queue. (Robert doesn't do QQQ's). Today the contractor rang to say the bank had returned my money to my account. After ringing the Philippines it has now been re-instated (I think) but HSBC will not refund, nor take responsibility for this payment if it is fraudulent. The beauty is the payee's account is a business account with HSBC. Really stressed and humiliated over this. At 70 years of age and having dealt with online banking for a number of years I have never had a problem like this. What would you do ??

Not sure you want to hear my answer but the first thing is to recognise that the bank picked up on an unusual transaction and did the right thing, they stopped it.
Secondly, I would have stayed in the queue on Sunday and sorted it out so when the contractor rang this morning, it was already under control.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If your retired whats the problem with a queue, You have all day..luckily.BUSBY?

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
If your retired whats the problem with a queue, You have all day..luckily.BUSBY?
It was a phone queue which was not a freefone number. Glad you can pay these charges

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's not HSBC all the banks are trying to reduce fraud the payment would have been flagged as unusual, may have been better to wait in the queue, and confirm the payment.
Then instead of inconveniencing the customers by putting more & more things in place that the legal decent, honest & truthful have to put up with why can't they spend some of the 150 million ( HSBC figure for one year spent on additional 'annoy the customer practices') on tracking down & having executed the scum that are doing the frauds? & yes I did suggest it to them in amongst my 15 complaints , 14 upheld, some years back.
It has come to something when we now have to put up with all this old *****cks when initially you just used to get the card out ,anywhere in the world & without telling them , & that was it.
Why the hsbc can't get some decent, easy measures in place like other banks have, text ,codes, sms with code ,etc; that my other banks have.

& to the OP ,yes the " if it is fraudulent, etc;etc; " is the standard tat you get when they want a get out.I get it every time I transfer money to Revolut.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
It may be annoying BUT it is there to PROTECT YOU ... better than the alternative surely?
But surely there is a better way than this. Perhaps another call would have been better than just returning the money.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
& who is paying me ? Even retired I'm not queuing for nothing.
If you run any type of business you need more staff. If I have to 'queue' the first thing I do when put through is make an official complaint.
Every where you ring these days is the same " we are experiencing a high volume of calls" No you are just lazytight barstewards & don't have enough staff.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Those are typical of the ethos of large corporations theses days. HSBC are just following what is now "normal" within the banking system. Getting to access your own funds can be like getting blood from stone. "Queues" on phones are common, as is the customer having to pay for listening to Muzac for hours on end. And most have phased out the free (0800) numbers now. There are some still, if you search "say no to 0870" some organisations still have to odd one, when you get a "Live Body" just ask to be transferred. Still takes as long but at least it`s free. Ive used WhatsApp/Voip messaging before to-day which uses my "free" broadband.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
& who is paying me ? Even retired I'm not queuing for nothing.
If you run any type of business you need more staff. If I have to 'queue' the first thing I do when put through is make an official complaint.
Every where you ring these days is the same " we are experiencing a high volume of calls" No you are just lazytight barstewards & don't have enough staff.
Unfortunately that is the way of the world...We all thought it was great years ago when British Gas was sold to the public who funded it in the first place,,Water boards were privatised,,Leccy went private,, etc etc now we are reaping the rewards,,,business just run for profits with no thought for customer care..It's called progress.BUSBY,,??

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry but patience is a virtue you have just found this out ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Unfortunately I possess less than none whatsoever. I even rant at myself for being to slow. I want things done questions answered, before I have thought of them. I expect answers instantly , I wish to arrive before I set off .That is the extent of my patience. So I am already in a filthy mood even before I make a call/send email/set off anywhere.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But surely there is a better way than this. Perhaps another call would have been better than just returning the money.
Freephone numbers you could try:

Customer services: 0800 772233 / 0800 0324738

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I tried ringing and found myself in a queue. (Robert doesn't do QQQ's).
So how long did you actually stay in the queue?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
If using a card =debit or credit
in amongst the tiny print
on the back
you may find the lost and stolen no
i ring that you may get sorted sooner

or an email to the CEO Link Removed

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
And when you DO get through please remember, before ranting at them, the person who has been lucky enough to answer your call is just that, a REAL person, just like you and me who is trying to make a living.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Think we just need to chill a bit and stop getting outraged when things don't work as smoothly as we want.

Banking has been revolutionised in the last few years - I can do everything from phone or Mac at the touch of a button, but yes occasionally, it doesn't quite work perfectly. I'm happy to put up with the odd fraud check, the odd issue, because it's so much better than the cashpoints, chequebooks, bank books and postal orders I grew up with.

Best thing to do if ever transferring a largish, one-off amount, is to do a small payment first (say £10) and then follow up with the big payment once the receiver has confirmed safe receipt (not by email). Its not foolproof - they still might want to check, but I reckon its good practice anyway

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I agree with Ernesto, we said we'd pay the balance for our Carthago on collection day so I set the dealer up a few days previously and sent £1 across, they then confirmed they'd received it so I knew it was all done correctly and importantly there'd be no delay on collection day itself by having to set-up the dealer as a new recipient.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hongkong Shanghai Bank of Commerce is hardly your local bank.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I'm not to fussed where my bank is based - I happen to use First Direct and they are all UK call centres. My most important criteria is tat if I need it, they'll give it all back to me ???

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So a new customer.
Didn't answer call
Didn't respond to text...

Presumably didn't advise them of a large transfer of cash from your account

...and you're complaining they're look after your money & interests :doh:.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
you've just reminded me of the time I sat with headphones on on the computer having dialled & got through to the queue & waited so long that when they answered didn't know who I had rung. :laughing:
Have found out when ringing any company choose the sales option.They don't keep you waiting long if they think they can sell you something.Then tell them the true exaggerated a bit like you have been trying for hours,,they will then usually sort your true problem..Did it with 3 last week.BUSBY.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
OK time for some answers I suppose.

Not too sure how to answer this but I have virtually nil patience.
Freephone numbers you could try:

Customer services: 0800 772233 / 0800 0324738
Given the number supplied with the initial text why phone the 0800 numbers when the number for FRAUD is an 0345 number.
Obviously not long enough. In actual fact, I only found the missed call and text message as we were on our way out for Sunday lunch with the family. Initial call at 8am Sunday morning,,me ?? I was still in the land of NOD.

If using a card =debit or credit
in amongst the tiny print
on the back
you may find the lost and stolen no
i ring that you may get sorted sooner

or an email to the CEO Link Removed
CEO email already sent. If you read the initial post you would have seen I paid on the HSBC app. Nowhere did I mention card payment nor did it enter my head to hunt for other numbers when they had clearly sent me the number to call

Think we just need to chill a bit and stop getting outraged when things don't work as smoothly as we want.

Best thing to do if ever transferring a largish, one-off amount, is to do a small payment first (say £10) and then follow up with the big payment once the receiver has confirmed safe receipt (not by email). Its not foolproof - they still might want to check, but I reckon its good practice anyway
I notified my contractor that payment had been made,, they confirmed it was in their account later in the day. They then found it had been taken back and put into my account today. Why do these checks when I had written proof of their sort code and account number,, double checked before hitting enter to transfer these monies.
I agree with Ernesto, we said we'd pay the balance for our Carthago on collection day so I set the dealer up a few days previously and sent £1 across, they then confirmed they'd received it so I knew it was all done correctly and importantly there'd be no delay on collection day itself by having to set-up the dealer as a new recipient.
see above

Hongkong Shanghai Bank of Commerce is hardly your local bank.
HSBC Nottingham Road, Eastwood...... very local to me.

Pretty sure all HSBC call centres are in the UK ;).
Pretty sure when I noticed an accent and ask if she were based in India or the UK she replied The Philippines.
I'm not to fussed where my bank is based - I happen to use First Direct and they are all UK call centres. My most important criteria is tat if I need it, they'll give it all back to me ???
Are you sure about the call centres. All the numbers I can find for HSBC are 0345. The one I called was 0345 connected me to The Philippines which I presume is where the fraud offices are.???
So a new customer.
Didn't answer call
Didn't respond to text...

Presumably didn't advise them of a large transfer of cash from your account

...and you're complaining they're look after your money & interests :doh:.
Not such a NEW customer,, changed about 12 months ago.
Ring me at 0800 any day and you will not get an answer. My phone lives as far away from me as possible.
Did respond to text,, just did not let it ring on and on and on and on and on,,,, you get the drift.
Have moved larger amounts in the past without letting them know and never had to explain to them that it is not fraudulent.

Ok. The real gripe I have is that they called me at 0800 Sunday morning,, followed up with a text to say call which I did. Then the next thing,, within 36 hours they have returned my monies to my account..no further call to query it,, no further text, nothing, nada. makes me look a right t**t to my contractor especially as they knew it had been in their account on Friday.
Rant over,, done with it,, email sent to CEO and appointment made with TSB to transfer account ASAP

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Have found out when ringing any company choose the sales option.They don't keep you waiting long if they think they can sell you something.Then tell them the true exaggerated a bit like you have been trying for hours,,they will then usually sort your true problem..Did it with 3 last week.BUSBY.
All I was getting was...... "All our operatives are busy right now. Please hold, your call is important to us" then musak,, then repeat and repeat ,, finally,, after over 7 minutes,, as I was getting my coat on to go to the local branch it changed to another ring tone and someone answered. At no time could I have cheated their system,, no press this for that,, no choice of operator just straight into the automated spiel.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Oh YES. Obviously not long enough. If I am ask to ring back to sort it out I will stay on the line as long as it takes if it is a freefone number but if I am paying (PAYG phone) I will keep it short.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Forgive the question, but what’s the connection to a “Motorhome Chat”?

Is your Motorhome kept on your new driveway?

But staying on topic.... as many have said, the process is to protect customers, especially elderly ones, who get hoodwinked by the “....we were just passing and noticed your driveway needs done” squad. Those ones that charge £20K for 2 bags of tarmac and 1 bag of sand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back