HSBC customer relations. (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry mate you need to chill out or you will have a heart attack.
Why don’t you put yourself in the other persons shoes.
Then plan your answers. Making a good case for you being right.
Then ask for compensation for stress over whatever the problem is/was.
I always win whenever I talk to sky reference my sky subscription. For the last 3 years I have always got a better deal before I will put the phone down I just keep threatening to leave until they give in. They always surrender once I keep them on the phone. The longest was 2 hrs but got my bill down by £40 pm. I find that patience pay big rewards.
End of therapy session. That £25 you owe me?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Given the number supplied with the initial text why phone the 0800 numbers when the number for FRAUD is an 0345 number.
I was just giving you the freephone numbers so you don't have to use the 0345 ones that cost you dosh ... CS would put you through to the right section if you explained it to them.

Obviously not long enough. In actual fact, I only found the missed call and text message as we were on our way out for Sunday lunch with the family. Initial call at 8am Sunday morning,,me ?? I was still in the land of NOD.
So it's their fault because you didn't check your phone?

CEO email already sent. If you read the initial post you would have seen I paid on the HSBC app. Nowhere did I mention card payment nor did it enter my head to hunt for other numbers when they had clearly sent me the number to call
see above.

I notified my contractor that payment had been made,, they confirmed it was in their account later in the day. They then found it had been taken back and put into my account today. Why do these checks when I had written proof of their sort code and account number,, double checked before hitting enter to transfer these monies.
Because anyone can put in anybody's sort code and account number if they have access to your account ... it's not rocket science, hence why they want to speak to YOU and ask YOU some security questions.

Ring me at 0800 any day and you will not get an answer. My phone lives as far away from me as possible.
Did respond to text,, just did not let it ring on and on and on and on and on,,,, you get the drift.
Have moved larger amounts in the past without letting them know and never had to explain to them that it is not fraudulent.
see above

Ok. The real gripe I have is that they called me at 0800 Sunday morning,, followed up with a text to say call which I did. Then the next thing,, within 36 hours they have returned my monies to my account..no further call to query it,, no further text, nothing, nada.
Did you try calling them again? 36 hours is a LONG time in banking.
makes me look a right t**t to my contractor especially as they knew it had been in their account on Friday.
I think we've got to the main issue ... you don't like to lose face? I don't think any of us do but that doesn't mean it was the bank's fault for protecting a customer's funds from fraud.

Rant over,, done with it,, email sent to CEO and appointment made with TSB to transfer account ASAP
Don't do that! Apply online and do a switch and you'll get some cashback ...

also there are better 'paying' banks than TSB for doing this.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
You can choose to be angry and move your account ?

If I'm reading it right though, you're moving it to TSB? A company that last year had a complete IT meltdown that cost it £300m+ to put right with 1000's of customers locked out of their accounts and others able to view other peoples accounts?

I hope you don't have any more problems, but its fact if life, sometimes things go wrong with these complicated systems and processes. In 2018 UK banks prevented £2 in every £3 of attempted fraud, but still got taken for over £1 billion, so they're going to keep trying to find a way ...

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Forgive the question, but what’s the connection to a “Motorhome Chat”?

Is your Motorhome kept on your new driveway?

But staying on topic.... as many have said, the process is to protect customers, especially elderly ones, who get hoodwinked by the “....we were just passing and noticed your driveway needs done” squad. Those ones that charge £20K for 2 bags of tarmac and 1 bag of sand.
Yes my moho is kept on my drive.
yes,, I agree,, some may get hoodwinked. The bank knew nothing of my drive renovation. My biggest concern it that they are deciding without finding out the facts. Yes,, they phoned at 8am on sunday, followed by a text 2 minutes later, 2 days later they returned my money to my account without further consultation. If you cannot get hold of someone to make a decision on their action do you just go ahead or try again. The icing on the cake is I now find I paid ore money for my kitchen renovation by the same method without any problems,, no fraud check,, nothing,, so, when I went out on Sunday for lunch with the family it never entered my mind they would revoke the payment after asking in the text to "please call Fraud on 03452669337 to discuss a payment for £**** on 15/11. Open 8am-6pm. Do NOT reply by SMS". Slipped my mind. Now, if they had said please call or we will revoke this payment I would have taken steps to stop it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... when I went out on Sunday for lunch with the family it never entered my mind they would revoke the payment after asking in the text to "please call Fraud on 03452669337 to discuss a payment for £**** on 15/11. Open 8am-6pm. Do NOT reply by SMS". Slipped my mind. Now, if they had said please call or we will revoke this payment I would have taken steps to stop it.
If they need to speak to you about a payment they will NOT make it unless they do ... we had this quite a bit with Santander when they were really, REALLY keen on fraud, even with relatively small sums, it was a pain but we appreciated it was a necessary 'evil' to protect us.

I understand your frustration and embarrassment but I'm certain you'd be more upset if it had been a fraudulent payment they'd let through and you were wondering where all your dosh had gone!

I don't think I can say it many more ways so I'm off to make a nice cuppa!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yesterday I had a missed call on my phone. The caller left a voicemail stating they were from HSBC and asking me to call them regarding a non-urgent enquiry. They also sent a text message stating the same non-urgent enquiry but asking me to call a different number.

I tried to check both numbers online, but neither resolved to HSBC on a search, so I thought I would log in to my account to check it before going any further. Now, we only have a mortgage with HSBC so it's not an account I log into online every day. I found that I couldn't log in because the battery on my secure key was dead, so I couldn't use it. It's a sealed device and the battery is not replaceable.

The help pages suggested that if there was a problem with the secure key I could download the HSBC banking app and set up a digital secure key to log in with instead. So I downloaded the app, went through the process of entering all the required information - until I got to the point where I needed to generate a code with the original secure key, that I needed to enter into the app before I could complete the process :oops:

Further reading of the help pages indicated that the only way forward was to call customer services. So I did, and after the usual listening to various options and pressing the right buttons, followed by almost 10 minutes of being told how important my call was to them, I was put through to a lady who I could barely understand - and yes I can confirm that the call centre is in the Philippines.

To cut a long story short(ish) I was given a code to enter in the app at the appropriate point, but asked to wait at least 2 hours whilst they reset it. I also asked if they could verify that the other numbers I had been asked to call were genuine. Cue a further wait and it was confirmed that they belonged to the mortgage department, although neither are listed on their website as contact numbers for that or any other department.

So I tried to call one of the numbers. The usual messages that I had to listed to and options to select, and I was again listening to a message telling me how important my call was to them. But after 20 minutes I gave up. They can call me again if it is that important.

I tried to set up the app again this morning using the code I was given yesterday, and it came up with an error. The website now states that they are aware of problems resulting in it being impossible to set up a new digital secure key and are looking into them. I won't be able to use the original code again when that is resolved so I will have to call again and ask for another one!

Anyway, I have my suspicions as to what the original call is about. A couple of months ago HSBC sent me a form asking me to tell them how I intend to pay of my mortgage when its term ends in a couple of years time. They wanted to know if I would have the funds available, where they are now or will be at that time, and how much I have in the savings, investments or other repayment vehicle(s) I intend to use. I simply wrote on the form that I intend to settle the account on time and already have funds available in excess of the amount owing that I have allocated for that purpose.

A few weeks ago, they sent me the same form again, and I completed it identically and posted it back to them. I suspect they are not happy because I have not told them where the money currently resides and how much is available. But as long as I can meet my obligations I don't see that it is any of their business. I don't know right now which account I will use as the source of settlement in 2021 anyway. It depends what funds are where and how much they are earning me at that time.

We have accounts with several different banks, including three with Santander, and I am fully aware how "hot" Santander are on transaction security. I have not encountered a single bank however apart from HSBC that will not let me log in to my account by an alternative method if their own version of the secure key is unavailable or if I am not in a position to use it.

Another bugbear is that, when the bank rate has previously increased they increase the mortgage repayments automatically. But when it goes down, I have to ask them to reduce the repayment accordingly otherwise they will intentionally keep it at the higher level. The bank that my mortgage was previously with moved both ways automatically.

So from my point of view, HSBC are definitely the most difficult bank I have ever dealt with!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
just because some of us are retired it doesn't follow that we do nothing all day dont know where i found time to work lol.
Same here,,but I now have at last found something called patience,,something I never had when at work..Mind you its took me 15 years of retirement to find it..And as for doing nothing all day we average 30 miles of walking and 70 miles of cycling a week, BUSBY?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If they need to speak to you about a payment they will NOT make it unless they do ... we had this quite a bit
BUT they had already made the payment! The contractor already had it in his account & had verified that with the customer ,the OP.
Personally I wouldn't be at all happy either as the OP or even more so as the recipient of the funds that had them & then they disappeared .I don't even think they can legally do that? It always states that onec you press the pay now they cannot recall the payment. How they can lift it out of another persons account without asking beggars belief?
If they need to speak to you about a payment they will NOT make it unless they do ... we had this quite a bit with Santander when they were really, REALLY keen on frau
As above, it had been made ,was in another account.
I have not encountered a single bank however apart from HSBC that will not let me log in to my account by an alternative method if their own version of the secure key is unavailable or if I am not in a position to use it.
Neither have I. In my dealing s with them over the last few years You couldn't find a more useless set of idiots on the planet.
After finding in my favour 14 out of 15 complaints , a year later they sent me the same form asking me for info( as I live abroad) & which still hadn't been changed. :mad:
As I said the first time to them " you can dispose of my snake in one house & put a salamander in my new home whilst stating you know all the local ways ,yet you do not know that you cannot use a spanish driving licence to prove your address as it isn't on there ".:rolleyes:
Same here,,but I now have at last found something called patience,,something I never had when at work..Mind you its took me 15 years of retirement to find it..And as for doing nothing all day we average 30 miles of walking and 70 miles of cycling a week, BUSBY?
I've less since I stopped work as I no longer have to bite my tongue for fear of being locked up.(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Unfortunately I possess less than none whatsoever. I even rant at myself for being to slow. I want things done questions answered, before I have thought of them. I expect answers instantly , I wish to arrive before I set off .That is the extent of my patience. So I am already in a filthy mood even before I make a call/send email/set off anywhere.
But at least you had the patience to type out your philosophy. Thank you.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If we want to pay somebody by bank transfer who we have not paid before our bank (Lloyds) requires us to confirm it. They put a 4 number code on the screen and then phone us on a phone number we have previously registered (you can register both home and mobile number) and then we have to enter the code on the phone pad. After that they will allow this and all future payments to tjem without further checks.

That seems very easy and sensible to me.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
If we want to pay somebody by bank transfer who we have not paid before our bank (Lloyds) requires us to confirm it. They put a 4 number code on the screen and then phone us on a phone number we have previously registered (you can register both home and mobile number) and then we have to enter the code on the phone pad. After that they will allow this and all future payments to tjem without further checks.

That seems very easy and sensible to me.
Lloyds works great for me as well. My spanish bank do something similar.Pity the hsbc can't sort anything sensible.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
BUT they had already made the payment! The contractor already had it in his account & had verified that with the customer ,the OP.
Whilst the funds may 'show' in the contractor's account they would likely be 'pending' and not actually accessible until the transaction was confirmed - you may notice that sometimes when you login your account balance maybe a higher figure than your 'available funds' figure, this means you can only access an amount up to the available funds figure, not upto the actual account balance until the new funds have cleared.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Just returned from our Local branch of HSBC where we were entertained by the manager. She states we have not be treated correctly. Was not aware that Fraud resided in the Philippines who did not treat us correctly.
They are in a hurry because there is a certain amount of time allowed to "snatch back" the funds, even though they were paid into an HSBC account but agreed a further call should have been made. (After this time they need the account holders permission to allow the return of funds).
The reason for this being flagged up (I am reliably informed) is not due to our account but the payees account. (Don't ask). However, it has now been paid again and it seems all parties are happy. (some not so happy). We have been offered and indeed assured that compensation is now in my bank account (cannot check as the logging in process has been down for over 48 hours now).
I now await a response from head office after e-mailing the CEO (who they inform me is no longer who google think he is) and receiving a first response starting with:
Thank you for your email to our former Chief Executive, Antonio Simoes, which I acknowledge on behalf of James Emmett, our current Chief Executive.
I have now given them the details requested and await further from them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ah, so it was the payee's account that was the issue ... therefore they WERE protecting you! :D

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Ah, so it was the payee's account that was the issue ... therefore they WERE protecting you! :D
No, not at all. I agreed a price with the contractor, was happy with that price, happy with the work carried out and have now paid for the work carried out. How were they protecting me ?? by snatching back the monies due. Would you be happy had you been the contractor. ??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No, not at all. I agreed a price with the contractor, was happy with that price, happy with the work carried out and have now paid for the work carried out. How were they protecting me ?? by snatching back the monies due. Would you be happy had you been the contractor. ??
They wouldn't have been privy to your conversation with the contractor would they now? They were protecting YOU by NOT letting your funds be withdrawn from the other account as there must have been something questionable about it ... if you want to be 'annoyed' then so be it but it doesn't appear to have been anything to do with YOUR account as such. If the contractor had an issue with his account then he is the one who should be embarrassed not you.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yesterday I had a missed call on my phone. The caller left a voicemail stating they were from HSBC and asking me to call them regarding a non-urgent enquiry. They also sent a text message stating the same non-urgent enquiry but asking me to call a different number.

I tried to check both numbers online, but neither resolved to HSBC on a search, so I thought I would log in to my account to check it before going any further. Now, we only have a mortgage with HSBC so it's not an account I log into online every day. I found that I couldn't log in because the battery on my secure key was dead, so I couldn't use it. It's a sealed device and the battery is not replaceable.

The help pages suggested that if there was a problem with the secure key I could download the HSBC banking app and set up a digital secure key to log in with instead. So I downloaded the app, went through the process of entering all the required information - until I got to the point where I needed to generate a code with the original secure key, that I needed to enter into the app before I could complete the process :oops:

Further reading of the help pages indicated that the only way forward was to call customer services. So I did, and after the usual listening to various options and pressing the right buttons, followed by almost 10 minutes of being told how important my call was to them, I was put through to a lady who I could barely understand - and yes I can confirm that the call centre is in the Philippines.

To cut a long story short(ish) I was given a code to enter in the app at the appropriate point, but asked to wait at least 2 hours whilst they reset it. I also asked if they could verify that the other numbers I had been asked to call were genuine. Cue a further wait and it was confirmed that they belonged to the mortgage department, although neither are listed on their website as contact numbers for that or any other department.

So I tried to call one of the numbers. The usual messages that I had to listed to and options to select, and I was again listening to a message telling me how important my call was to them. But after 20 minutes I gave up. They can call me again if it is that important.

I tried to set up the app again this morning using the code I was given yesterday, and it came up with an error. The website now states that they are aware of problems resulting in it being impossible to set up a new digital secure key and are looking into them. I won't be able to use the original code again when that is resolved so I will have to call again and ask for another one!

Anyway, I have my suspicions as to what the original call is about. A couple of months ago HSBC sent me a form asking me to tell them how I intend to pay of my mortgage when its term ends in a couple of years time. They wanted to know if I would have the funds available, where they are now or will be at that time, and how much I have in the savings, investments or other repayment vehicle(s) I intend to use. I simply wrote on the form that I intend to settle the account on time and already have funds available in excess of the amount owing that I have allocated for that purpose.

A few weeks ago, they sent me the same form again, and I completed it identically and posted it back to them. I suspect they are not happy because I have not told them where the money currently resides and how much is available. But as long as I can meet my obligations I don't see that it is any of their business. I don't know right now which account I will use as the source of settlement in 2021 anyway. It depends what funds are where and how much they are earning me at that time.

We have accounts with several different banks, including three with Santander, and I am fully aware how "hot" Santander are on transaction security. I have not encountered a single bank however apart from HSBC that will not let me log in to my account by an alternative method if their own version of the secure key is unavailable or if I am not in a position to use it.

Another bugbear is that, when the bank rate has previously increased they increase the mortgage repayments automatically. But when it goes down, I have to ask them to reduce the repayment accordingly otherwise they will intentionally keep it at the higher level. The bank that my mortgage was previously with moved both ways automatically.

So from my point of view, HSBC are definitely the most difficult bank I have ever dealt with!
I think they are doing you a favour not reducing the mortgage payment automatically it will reduce the term and save you a lot of money!!!!!.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
They wouldn't have been privy to your conversation with the contractor would they now? They were protecting YOU by NOT letting your funds be withdrawn from the other account as there must have been something questionable about it ... if you want to be 'annoyed' then so be it but it doesn't appear to have been anything to do with YOUR account as such. If the contractor had an issue with his account then he is the one who should be embarrassed not you.
It was certainly not anything to do with my account. They were not privy to my conversation as they failed to find out by not trying very hard to converse with me.
I ask again: Would you be happy were you the contractor ??

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am not a great lover of banks, but sometimes I think they just can't win. If they allowed this payment to go through and it later turned out to be fraudulent, I suspect the OP would be on the forum complaining bitterly about them doing so and demanding compensation.

After all, it is not as if internet bank fraud is something that nobody has heard of. And, for that very reason, earlier this year the banks were required to be much more vigilant when trying to give our money away, and surely that is a good thing?

As for the contractor he has now got his money, albeit a bit later than he thought when he saw it in the bank. But I suspect he still got it quicker than he would have done with most of his other customers, and much quicker than he would have if he had been working for the local council.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It was certainly not anything to do with my account. They were not privy to my conversation as they failed to find out by not trying very hard to converse with me.
Actually I would not be 'happy' BUT if the issue was with the contractor surely they should have been contacting him about his own account and I stand by my view that you 'could' have done more to mitigate the issue, but chose not to keep trying to contact them. Even if they had tried you again, you could easily have had yet another missed call ... would you have tried to call them again after that and not had the patience to queue???

If I get a call from the bank etc about an account I would not just 'hope' everything is okay, I'd make sure I spoke to someone about it, no matter how long it took.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I think they are doing you a favour not reducing the mortgage payment automatically it will reduce the term and save you a lot of money!!!!!.
It is an interest only mortgage so whilst the overpayment would reduce the capital it does not do me any favours.

I could have settled it 11 years ago but the mortgage interest rate is quite a bit less than the profit I have been making from the balance, so it is more beneficial for me to keep the money for as long as possible rather than give it to the bank, unless the base rate were to rise substantially.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It is an interest only mortgage so whilst the overpayment would reduce the capital it does not do me any favours.

I could have settled it 11 years ago but the mortgage interest rate is quite a bit less than the profit I have been making from the balance, so it is more beneficial for me to keep the money for as long as possible rather than give it to the bank, unless the base rate were to rise substantially.
We had one at a rate of base plus 1 1/4 but chickened out and just paid it off

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
sorry agree with poster I am sick and tired of this internet world that is wasting my very short life I still use a cheque and anyone doing work for me is told this cheque not accepted you dont get the work

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think I save a lot of time in my short life by being able to use internet banking!! Each to their own! At least the options there at the moment to use both.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
We had one at a rate of base plus 1 1/4 but chickened out and just paid it off
Ours is base plus 0.99%

I bet HSBC didn't reckon on me paying them less than 1.5% for most of the time we've had it, but to be fair neither did I :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I can't begin to describe the problems a society of which I am an officer has had with our account at HSBC paying out direct debits to a company we had never heard of in spite of being told specifically that we don't do direct debits and instructing them never to pay them out. It has taken us hours of time to get the money back, we were unable to use the account because there was virtually no money in it for nearly 3 months. Then they just put it back in our account with no notification or apology for paying it out against our instructions, and no compensation. Needless to say we will be moving the account to another bank asap. They are a disgraceful organisation. As for getting them on the phone - the Fraud department we were dealing with had so many customers waiting (not surprised about that!) it was almost impossible to get them to talk to. The local branch told us that since the Fraud dept was dealing with the case they could do nothing and we would just have to wait.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
They were protecting YOU by NOT letting your funds be withdrawn from the other account as there must have been something questionable about it ...

If they allowed this payment to go through and it later turned out to be fraudulent,
The problem is , as I stated in the first post, with the hsbc before you finalise the payment it asks you to check & recheck as "once the payment is made it cannot be recalled".
As the OP had paid ,the contractor had received it, & remember a payment between 2 accounts using the same bank is instant, there is no delay ,I would be wanting to know, especially if I was the recipient , how they removed the payment as it could only have been done illegally by my understanding ?
I'd be apoplectic.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I rang NS&I to buy some premium bonds spoke to someone in Liverpool I soon put the phone down

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back