How useful is an ebike really? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’ve not read through all the posts, so some of my points may have been covered already:

If you go for a scooter, you will need to carry petrol too ~ and that smells. You need 125cc to carry two adults up steep hills comfortably and capacity (space & weight) to fit it in your garage. You will need helmets and suitable clothing, and your other half will need to be comfortable, leaning into corners etc. Depreciation will be less than for e-bikes but you will need a licence and insurance.

E-bikes always state their most optimistic range (on the flat, no wind, minimum assistance). Our first one had a “range” of 120miles but achieved less than 30 miles on one occasion. We chucked an expensive Kalkhoff (poor support from 50 Cycles) and now have an even more expensive R&M but performance does not improve in proportion to what you pay. 50mile round trips were not uncommon but sore bums are usually experienced on the first outing each season (this one’s yet to start).

We used to haul a Toad around, nearly bought a scooter, but are now quite happy using bikes. In terms of cost, it’s probably cheaper still to hire a car, take a taxi, or use public transport.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Dorset Lady has one of these. Superb. Build your own to your own requirements. The only thing I would strongly recommend is one of the auto g/box options. <Broken link removed>

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
A decent test ride should be a must, especially as e-bikes do cost a fair bit. Evans Cycles, pre-lockdown, used to have a facility you could pre-book and had the ability (for a decent deposit) to take the bike off for a couple of hours. Quite useful to really get the feel of it, and even work out that frame and suchlike was the right sizing.

and on the back of that Halfords have a 48hrs borrow option, or they had when we bought ours

good tip KF (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony Lin
Exp
Since 2018
We bought our foldable Volt bicycles in December and took them to France Spain and Portugal for two months. We have also had them at home during lockdown. What a godsend they’ve been. We love them and have done 300 miles in that time. Personally we like the fact you can get to a lot of places paths and sea fronts that you wouldn’t with a motor. You can take in the scenery at a gentler pace and don’t have to wear all protective jackets trousers etc. We do have a motorcycle as well but I prefer the packability of the bicycle.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We are keen cyclists and have ridden, and continue to ride, extensively in UK and Europe.

Last year in Provence we felt that we could not do ( really did not want to do) the cols we used to do, this is probably due to the fact that we are both nearing 70!

so I bit the bullet and bought two Bianchi E-Road electric bikes, mainly as this was the only drop handle bar ebike that Yvonne at all of 5ft could fit.

We have been out a couple of times on them and Yvonne thinks they are fantastic.

Unfortunately I caught something nasty which resulted in an 8.5 week hospital stay in ICU an February and and now only managing to go on my exercise bike for short periods, however we are really looking forward to riding them soon.

We believe ebikes are the way to go as they will allow us to maintain our cycling that we have always managed and are perfect for motorhoming as they can give you the ability to get you places you would not have gone to without taking the van out.

i have bought battery covers so that I can take the batteries out (2.5kg each) while travelling on the back of the motorhome and they will only weight 1Kg more than our existing touring bikes thus limiting the amount of stress and worry having heavy bikes hanging of the back panel

Jun 2, 2020
Co. Down
Funster No
MH
Waiting delivery of
Exp
I'm a newbie but caravaned for years
As an ex "biker" now with only the use of one arm would an e-bike be a possible solution to a limited physical range? Nothing too serious, shopping visiting the centres of those little French towns where I on e par

Jun 2, 2020
Co. Down
Funster No
MH
Waiting delivery of
Exp
I'm a newbie but caravaned for years
Sorry something went wrong, probably my fingers. To continue :- where I once parked the Moto Guzzi outside the ancient Church.
I know I would need a step through type and have to modify the throttle and brakes to left hand use. Could someone please advise as to practicalities and possible makes.
Here's hoping Ahab.

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Don't know about the disability but most UK models don't have a throttle as such the bike senses the torque on the pedal cranks and gives assistance accordingly or alternatively another type responds to your peddling and give assistance according to what you have selected....so no real role for the hands I think! Others I'm sure will correct me above if wrong! And I think I remember a one armed guy riding a bike home from work when I was much much younger! Try it!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Current, road legal e-bikes are pedal assist, so the motor senses you are pedalling and puts a bit of extra power in for you, rather than throttle controlled. Motors linked to the pedal crank are thus often more sensitive than the wheel hub types.

If the bike was solely throttle based you would need insurance and all sorts. But some older bikes did work solely off a throttle, without the pedal assist, but those older types are not pedal legal now.

In most cases you shouldn't need to play with the motor setting that much. Some, often hub type motors, will use a twist grip, throttle like, control. Others have an up/down push button setting. But since you don't have to switch off / take the motor out of gear to stop, as they are activated only by pedalling, realistically, you set the power once, and only need to alter occasionally, if you really do come across that horrible hill, or change your laziness factor mid route. So if, with disability you could ride a standard bike, your'll be able to find an e-bike that will suit.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
E-bike - No tax, insurance, MOT required...so MUCH cheaper to run. I preferred e-bike to scooter mainly for this reason.
I have a folding e-bike which I put inside the van and cover to protect the interior.
Overnight I just chain it to the van Chassis - no exterior carriage required & keeps the length of your vehicle within limits. Allow 10 mile radius, as hilly areas can reduce the range. I frequently do round trips of 10 - 15 miles. If you want to travel further and more frequently on 2 wheels, a scooter is probably best.

Almost forgot - I LOVE using it on footways such as ex-railway lines & river banks. Scooters not allowed.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
e-bikes are pedal assist, mine gives around a 90 mile range, very few are electric only and I believe they are illegal in this country, not sure about europe.
Around a 90 mile range? Not disputing what you say but I have been looking at getting an e-bike and best I've found say 50-70 mile range and from past experience I thought that was somewhat optimistic, what bikes have you got? TIA

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Just to add my two pennyworth and apologies if already covered....we have two Cube hybrid 500s and absolutely love them..... but......just a few pointers...firstly, personally I wouldn't buy ebikes to hang on a carrier on the outside of my van...a garage is a must....there is £5k worth of equipment there....second...thanks to our wonderful rulers in Brussels EU bikes are limited to 15mph for power assistance.... for me who rides bikes a lot that is way too low....other countries its 20mph.... so I have "chipped" ours with Speedbox2 units from Germany...extremely easy to fit...takes about ten minutes....switches on and off with the "Walk" button ….and totally transforms the bikes.....yes before anybody says anything I know its technically illegal and it could affect your warranty.....but like I said it totally transforms the bikes for the better....it derestricts them and now we can cruise along at a far more sensible and comfortable speed between 18-20 mph...and it hardly affects the range at all...we still get around 65 miles... would not be without our Cube's..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I just made a holder for my daughter to carry her mtb in her car.

A piece of conduit cut to length welded to a piece of angle.

This was screwed to the 18mm ply I cut and dropped into the load area 😊

Like this 😊

0B479CA0-EB0D-47D9-A09E-C1D5E987E809.jpeg

That was trial fit and ore paint

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I have two Carrera Vulcan E mountain bikes, not cheap but do is great.

Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
E-bikes can use cycle tracks to get to places other vehicles can’t. I did 70 kms on the Ille de Rei (France) on one day last year. Ok the island is flat but the ride was almost all on cycle track and was not something I could have done previously on a normal bike or by Moho. Wherever I visit I search out off road cycle tracks; it’s a new world for those off us who are not as fit as we used to be.
Have done exactly the same thing, reccommend that isle to anyone. love my ebike, im physically knackered so the bike allows me to get some exercise and see and do stuff that i couldn't without it.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
thanks to our wonderful rulers in Brussels EU bikes are limited to 15mph for power assistance.... for me who rides bikes a lot that is way too low....other countries its 20mph.... so I have "chipped" ours with Speedbox2 units from Germany...extremely easy to fit...takes about ten minutes....switches on and off with the "Walk" button ….and totally transforms the bikes.....yes before anybody says anything I know its technically illegal and it could affect your warranty.....
It's not technically illegal, it is illegal. It's transformed the e-bike into a motorised vehicle for which you need licence, insurance, etc. OK so there will be many who have done similar, but if you do have an accident and injure somebody and your bike is then examined ....

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Just to add my two pennyworth and apologies if already covered....we have two Cube hybrid 500s and absolutely love them..... but......just a few pointers...firstly, personally I wouldn't buy ebikes to hang on a carrier on the outside of my van...a garage is a must....there is £5k worth of equipment there....second...thanks to our wonderful rulers in Brussels EU bikes are limited to 15mph for power assistance.... for me who rides bikes a lot that is way too low....other countries its 20mph.... so I have "chipped" ours with Speedbox2 units from Germany...extremely easy to fit...takes about ten minutes....switches on and off with the "Walk" button ….and totally transforms the bikes.....yes before anybody says anything I know its technically illegal and it could affect your warranty.....but like I said it totally transforms the bikes for the better....it derestricts them and now we can cruise along at a far more sensible and comfortable speed between 18-20 mph...and it hardly affects the range at all...we still get around 65 miles... would not be without our Cube's..
If you need power at 32 kph perhaps an assist is not required.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I’ve not read through all the posts, so some of my points may have been covered already:

If you go for a scooter, you will need to carry petrol too ~ and that smells. You need 125cc to carry two adults up steep hills comfortably and capacity (space & weight) to fit it in your garage. You will need helmets and suitable clothing, and your other half will need to be comfortable, leaning into corners etc. Depreciation will be less than for e-bikes but you will need a licence and insurance.

E-bikes always state their most optimistic range (on the flat, no wind, minimum assistance). Our first one had a “range” of 120miles but achieved less than 30 miles on one occasion. We chucked an expensive Kalkhoff (poor support from 50 Cycles) and now have an even more expensive R&M but performance does not improve in proportion to what you pay. 50mile round trips were not uncommon but sore bums are usually experienced on the first outing each season (this one’s yet to start).

We used to haul a Toad around, nearly bought a scooter, but are now quite happy using bikes. In terms of cost, it’s probably cheaper still to hire a car, take a taxi, or use public transport.
Why do you need to carry petrol for a scooter? We have a 110cc Honda that carries us both with ease and cruises at 60mph and a range of 100 miles so no need to carry any petrol. It fits in our motorhome garage with ease. We also have 2 ebikes which are locked and covered on our rear rack. Best of both worlds!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Probably not - electrics never my strong point but we don't need to charge them til done circa 80 -100miles. I will dig up invoice or alt have a look at spec. in the link!
Normally in the region of 10Ah.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know this is a bit of an 'how long is a piece of string ' question, but in reality how large a radius are you really comfortable in touring on your bikes and it still be 'pleasurable'? I ask as when the world opens up again we are to equip our motorhome with either a scooter or a pair of ebikes. The choice is ease of touring to those little off the beaten track places that you could never take the MH too, such as little hillside villages in Italy which with a scooter would be a doddle as it would easily give us a 25mile radius around the MH. where on the other hand the ebikes would give us a radius but as to how comfortable that might be I don't really know but it would also provide a good and hopefully pleasurable amount of needed exercise that would be lacking with the scooter...!
It really depends on exactly HOW you want to travel and where to:

Scooter - if you are going to be staying on a campsite for a while and want to be able to travel out from it to more distant places then a scooter wins for speed alone and the ability to not have to worry about running out of energy (battery or human!) but you usually miss part of the pleasure of the scenery along the ride itself due to travelling faster.

E-bikes - if you don't need to go such great distances, enjoy riding and looking at the scenery, being more part of the 'outdoors' and want to go on cycle tracks etc which are often in the best locations, then e-bikes (or just normal bikes) win.

So decide HOW you intend to use them first then you'll be able to work out which is likely to suit your needs best.

Reactions: two
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not at all for the elderly unless you include my son of 51 who got one through a work scheme so travels to work on his bike unless wet
That's elderly according to Northern Raider.😁😁.BUSBY.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Why do you need to carry petrol for a scooter? We have a 110cc Honda that carries us both with ease and cruises at 60mph and a range of 100 miles so no need to carry any petrol. It fits in our motorhome garage with ease. We also have 2 ebikes which are locked and covered on our rear rack. Best of both worlds!
I was assuming that a scooter will use petrol and so have a tank. Petrol evaporates, especially in hot weather. I wasn't suggesting a separate container.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I was assuming that a scooter will use petrol and so have a tank. Petrol evaporates, especially in hot weather. I wasn't suggesting a separate container.
I use it quicker than it would evaporate, no odours are emitted and it's cooler in the garage.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My motorbike is in a tiny lean to shed and it never smells of petrol in there (and it's pretty air tight too) just smells of wood 👌

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Seen some great reviews of the Ancheer folding electric mountain bikes and reasonably priced around £6-£700 mark anyone have one

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
It's not technically illegal, it is illegal. It's transformed the e-bike into a motorised vehicle for which you need licence, insurance, etc. OK so there will be many who have done similar, but if you do have an accident and injure somebody and your bike is then examined ....

Then I suggest you don't do it... I wasn't asking for your permission and yes I'm fully aware of the facts..

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
E-bikes can use cycle tracks to get to places other vehicles can’t. I did 70 kms on the Ille de Rei (France) on one day last year. Ok the island is flat but the ride was almost all on cycle track and was not something I could have done previously on a normal bike or by Moho. Wherever I visit I search out off road cycle tracks; it’s a new world for those off us who are not as fit as we used to be.
One of our favourite places in France for cycling. Last year I bought my wife a secondhand Gazelle ebike off a fellow Funster just a week before going to France. As I didn’t have time to sort out security chains for bike on back rack and that we rarely went on hookup she just took her normal hybrid bike. We ended up on Ile de Re and stayed two weeks on the ACSI site straight after the bridge due to the record hot weather - shaded under the trees. As we had electric we could have recharged the battery after all. One morning I went out on my bike (not electric) and did the whole island covering 50miles all on brilliant cycle tracks - I usually do this same ride each time we go there. If she had had the ebike I think she would have been able to do the ride okay.
When we got home I sorted out an inverter, cover and got substantial chains plus locks so that we could confidently take the ebike away. On our next trip to France she found the ebike great to ride allowing us to go much further than before and not worry about head winds or hills. I had been trying to get her to go down the ebike route for a couple of years but she always resisted. She finds it a revelation and great to be able to load the panniers with shopping, getting up hills that previously she would walk up and allows her to easily keep up with me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back