How useful is an ebike really? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
For us, with ebikes , our range is about 5 or 6 miles, comfortably.
The bikes could go further of course but you are generally going into a village etc. to shop.

It's more of a faff carrying them , we can't carry inside the motorhome, so they are on a rear mtg rack with locks of course and a heavy cover.

Getting them on or off takes about 20mins.

They are not worth much, I would not want to chance a £2k bike on the rear carrier.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just Picked up a new Ebike two days ago. Two trips out so far. Yesterday, I did 17k on it. Mainly manual but used the battery for some uphill climbs. Makes a difference and particularly useful when cycling on a road, keeping up with OH rather than create a large gap, which I’m sure would annoy car drivers. I’ve ordered up a new seat as the one that comes with the bike is not comfy. However, whilst waiting for the seat, OH added some pipe insulation to it which is covered by my old gel seat cover 😆View attachment 392818View attachment 392819

I wouldn't be able to get my leg over that!!!!! Looks like a nice bike though, and I hope you get a lot of use out of it.

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Many thanks for some very interesting replies, with some great 'food for thought'! We are no strangers to cycling having crossed France from west to east along the 'Two Canals' route in 2018. But tackling hilly regions is a definite non starter now as a form of pleasure!
The implication that e assistance can take much of the work out of the cycling in such areas is what I really wanted to hear and yet still offer the experience and 'pleasure' of the cycling. The 25 mile radius was what I considered to be a probable maximum with more likely distances of around 15 miles as the norm! It sound like such would be a doodle for a reasonable ebike and I suppose now it comes down to best model and cost.
We would want something that could do most environments similar to our current 'hybrids'. It would need to be a step through for my other half and also feel like an ordinary cycle when peddling with a flat battery otherwise we would probably resort to walking which is not where we want to be. Also finally they would need to be reasonably light in that our current bikes are around 11kgs unloaded and maxed out at 23kg while touring. Beyond that weight is not a good place to be either as though it doesn't impact on cycling on the flat it is difficult when in terrain and also on any but low inclines! Again thinking here of worst case scenario's of being on one with a depleted battery!
As regards the padded shorts....well we tried those and abandoned them after a few weeks along with the lycra....saddle pain goes with time in the saddle unless you really do put the hours in, but we found we could comfortably cycle and potter for 6 plus hours without padding and the other half even preferred doing it in flip flops too rather than sweaty training shoes!
Again thanks for the insight and any ref's as regards models would be most welcome too please!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Further to the earlier post, Ours are also twist and go, older ones, which are handy if in traffic because they allow you to pull away at lights etc instead of a potential wobble peddle start. Never had to peddle them without battery power and we recharge them after each run usually, we have an inverter and dependent on the weather, sun or not, we charge them off the inverter. In the mornings and try to do them on alternate days. (y)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Before the mountain e-bike, only a moderate gradient was sufficient for the cycle sat-nav to start bleeping with "no movement detected" messages. Now a thing of the past. You still have to pedal as it is assist., but even just in Bosch's Eco mode that is 50% power that is a notable load off that more than compensates for the added weight of the bike (most e-bikes are going to be over 20kg). Pedalling without the motor on is noticeably harder work, even on the flat. It can be done, but loses most of the pleasure of the bike, so you are better off managing your battery to last the distance, and most have gauge prediction which will give a good idea. Even motor on, as it can assist only up to about 15.5mph, maintaining above that is a bit of an effort, as that relies on you alone, with the motor cutting in automagically only as your pace slows. I find a fully charged Bosch 500 powerpack on the Eco option for the mountain bike on the gravelling tracks is good for over 40miles, dropping to around 25 miles on the Tour mode. Tarmac will inevitably get you further.

I'm not a lycra fan. Much prefer some of the mountain bike orientated clothing which offers a short with detachable inner liner for the comfortable padding. I wouldn't be without that over some of the rougher gravel paths.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Haven't ready anything except the OP
I have an EB John has a few different ones. I love cycling but have difficulty on hills with an ebike I don't hold him back, improve my own fitness, although it is an old one which can be used electric only, I only ever use pedal assist. we can get to places you can't take the motorhome, or are just a bit too far to walk. If I know the route is flat I sometimes leave the battery at home (in the van)the bike is heavier than my old non electric one was but is much easier to ride. Do need to get a gel seat though ;)

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
With two completely firked knees from my rugby days and a load of ligament damage to an ankle whilst still coaching believe me e-bikes are a godsend!

Whilst I could easily do 50 miles on the flat the hills were beginning to cause issues the following day so the ability for a bit of assistance actually is actually increasing the amount and range we can do day after day.

I think the big issue with supposed 'poor range' is due to folk just expecting to use power all of the time, I still wish to pedal and expect to do some work! We completed the whole Rutland Water route, including the peninsular, two days running so just over 46 miles total and although most is relatively gentle there are a few short sharp climbs. Neither batteries were charged overnight and on finishing mine was still reading 86% and my wife's 91% charge. The difference can be explained by my additional 40kg!

We tried loads before making the purchase, some very cheap e-bikes are poor performers but we also rode £3000 plus models we didn't like! We eventually bought at the lower end pricewise after deciding these were to support our physical activity not be the focus of it. The retailer. E-Ranger, appears at most of the motorhome shows and despite the price tag are very well specified.

Yes there are disadvantages with e-bikes as many have pointed out but for us the additional mobility with a reduction in discomfort is perfect!

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Wouldn't be without my e-bike now. Wherever I set out to from home, there's a hill either coming or going. It's made all the difference between deciding whether to go out or not and hills no longer present a problem. Same goes for when I'm out in the MH - the off-road ride over the headland between L'Escala and l'Estartit, if anyone else has done, holds no fears now.

Mine has front shock suspension and a rear hub drive with no no suspension on the rear. The lanes around here don't have the best surfaces and it was an uncomfortable ride at times. I've invested in a Suntour SP12-NCX suspension seat post. Not cheap but I got mine at lower cost over here on Amazon France.

To say it's transformed the ride is an understatement. Bum bones no longer bruised....😁

Brilliant bit of kit, well worth the investment! (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Suzuki 110 cc scooter and it does give us a wide area to cover from the motorhome but to have this we need a 9m motorhome (we like a fixed bed system) whereas we would prefer a smaller 7m motorhome To make travelling on smaller roads easier. I suppose the advantage of a Ebike is it will probably take up less space in the moho But maybe you also have the issue of recharging the bike ? Good luck with your choice as there is no right or wrong answer.
Not sure about a 7m motorhome, but I have the same scooter as you I would guess (an Address?) and I have no problems at all with it inside the garage of a 7.5m long Hymer.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We absolutely love our E-bikes. We use them all the time when we're away, sometimes twice a day. An E-bike takes the pain out of cycling.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have no scooter or ebike but my thoughts are when having a scooter you have to factor in the extra clothing needed, I know helmets can go in scooter storage.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Not much relevance to the thread but I’ve seen these today, ARCC E bikes. Not heard of them before.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
One consideration is how you would transport a scooter or e-bike set up. If you need an external scooter rack then that adds some serious cost and maybe you need to inform your insurance ? Perhaps you already have a suitable rear wall bike rack though and that could take 2 e-bikes.

We use a trailer on my wife's e-bike and that gives us lots of flexibility of carrying things, shopping, to the beach and in it's usual role for the dogs. Something that would be an issue on a Scooter.

If you want to arrive to your destination without breaking a sweat then a scooter is the way to go bit if you prefer earning you lunch then for us it's bikes all the way (e-bike for my wife).

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We've been trying to buy a conversion kit 350w rear wheel 700c for my bike but everywhere's out of stock & no stock for at least a month, so obviously very popular! :giggle:

Alb

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Our limited experience with ebikes 1250 miles since January including 3 weeks in France.
Kalkhoff endeavour 3b step through frames, 500wh battery dutch style seating and handlebars. I no longer strain my back and wrists.
Range 60 to 80 miles inc some byways and a lot of Dorset hills usually average 15 to 20 kph depending on terrain.
Top tip cycle in kilometres you go loads further and really fast
Bloody marvellous we can now cycle 35 miles, and get in a good muck sweat or poodle along.
I couldn't do hills now I relish them.
Even on semi rough tracks they cope, though we changed the tyres.
We put them inside the garage. I couldn't lift them onto a cycle rack they weigh 25kg.
I initially cycled with the motor off to "save power". After a few months I saw sense and always use some power, 90% the lowest setting and have still lost a stone.
I have started to use a heart rate monitor, it demonstrates that you can exercise using an ebike!
Charge both bikes using 300w psw inverter (also have a 45 amp votronic charger, 280w solar and 200ah lifepo4)
Go for it we haven't regretted it at all

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Have been looking recently at the Eskuta SX250 bike, which can take a passenger!

Details at:

<Broken link removed>

Does anyone have any experience of these eBikes please?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I had to renew my licence the other day and there is a new category at the top for electric scooters "AM" so they might be legalising the ones you don't have to pedal.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Very pro e-bikes. There is some research that says in addition to an e bike giving you more flexibility of places to go it is also has more health benefits than normal push bike For the general public as you tend to go further and longer. Certainly so with ourselves as with a push bike we used to give up quite quickly now we can cycle 30 miles without an issue and really enjoy it.
we had 2 e bikes on our rear mounted bike carrier, never a problem but we also used a good quality cover and locks. Took about 10 - 15 min to load them on. Some ball hitch systems are much easier. As somebody said here go for quality.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We've been trying to buy a conversion kit 350w rear wheel 700c for my bike but everywhere's out of stock & no stock for at least a month, so obviously very popular! :giggle:

Alb

Have you tried Dillenger or Cyclotricity?

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
I bought Julie an e bike so she could keep up with me. I can't get anywhere near her now. She loves her bike (a good quality e mountain bike). Keeps me fit trying to keep up with her. I'll get one eventually.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Margaret's Kalkoff was a 2018 model bought in 2019 and was £300 cheaper at £1,850 as a result. My son and I looked at e-bikes and we both liked Haibikes and the model chosen was £3,599 which included a GPS theft module and a computer control unit the rendered the bike useless when removed and put in your pocket However, luckily none in stock and son has now decided on a e assisted road bike to commute from Plympton to his pharmacy in South Brent. Its nice and light and cost £2,170 before the cycle scheme tax savings. I bought the kit at £720 so no expensive e bikes for either of us! I could never justify spending £3,500 on an electric bike!

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Interesting question, and hope to be able to give an honest answer soon.
We have just bought two ebikes at the weekend, and so far after a short test at home yesterday, they are great. Yes you still have to pedal, but feels like someone is just gently pushing you up the hills, and living in the Pyrénées its not really flat around here!! They are a little heavier, but you don't feel it, and can comfortably cycle without the battery power, as tried that yesterday for a few km.
We used for many years the normal bikes when away in the Motorhome, both for shopping and pleasure rides. But really looking forward to trying the ebikes out on some longer journey once France, Spain and Portugal get back to normal so we can travel.
So far really impressed with the eBikes. So far 5* from me.
Out of interest which model did you buy?
Phil

Deleted User
We’ve got Haibikes (eMTB) and they have been the best thing we have ever bought.

We go out on them most days and average about 40k per day, the only downside we have found is that we have got ourselves into some pretty serious terrain (they will go up any trail) and coming down Really steep gravel/shale pathways can sometimes is a bit on the scary side!

For general trail riding they are the dogs doodah’s (y)

We bought them in Germany (got a much better deal than UK) and are Left hand drive :LOL::LOL: (well the front/back brake are on the opposite sides to UK spec)

Got them on the rack at the moment with a very heavy duty chain, and fitted cover.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
L

Alb
Do not forget it is illegal to use an electric bike on public roads if it has more than 250Watt power unless it has type approval and been registered as an electric motorcycle with a V5C and a number plate. You will also need a motorcycle licence, tax, mot, insurance and an approved helmet.
Legal ebikes are classed as Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles EAPC, they can be ridden by 14 year olds on roads and cycle paths.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Very pro e-bikes. There is some research that says in addition to an e bike giving you more flexibility of places to go it is also has more health benefits than normal push bike For the general public as you tend to go further and longer. Certainly so with ourselves as with a push bike we used to give up quite quickly now we can cycle 30 miles without an issue and really enjoy it.
we had 2 e bikes on our rear mounted bike carrier, never a problem but we also used a good quality cover and locks. Took about 10 - 15 min to load them on. Some ball hitch systems are much easier. As somebody said here go for quality.
Can I ask which type of ebike you chose?
Phil

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Kalkhoff Agattu ebikes, we also wanted ‘step through’ not a cross bar plus rather than a large ‘mans’ bike we both had 45in wheels. They are not mountain bikes but tough enough for some off road.

Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
We purchased a couple of Cube hybrids with 100AH batteries three years ago. Absolutely brilliant. Often ride 20 - 30 miles as effortlessly or as hard as you want it to be. Good luggage rack / basket on back if want.
Crank motor and disc brakes important imho!:cycle::cycle:

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Out of interest which model did you buy?
Phil
We bough the Cube ebikes.
For me the Cube Nature Hybrid one Allroad 500
For her, Cube Touring Hybrid 400 easy entry / step though.
With the Bosch Active plus crank / central drive system
9 speed shimano. Both grade 2, suitable for tarmac and trails. (VTC Velo tout Chemin.) I took the Allroad as I tend to more trails / off-road locally.
20200601_153604.jpg

Been out today on the trails and it's really great, very pleased with the Cube bike quality, and very pleased with the eBike concept.
Was doing ok until I ran into a big storm, but at least the bike is waterproof !!
Good luck, it's a difficult choice, there are plenty out there..

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
We purchased a couple of Cube hybrids with 100AH batteries three years ago. Absolutely brilliant. Often ride 20 - 30 miles as effortlessly or as hard as you want it to be. Good luggage rack / basket on back if want.
Crank motor and disc brakes important imho!:cycle::cycle:
We just bought two Cube Hybrids and very pleased with them. Quality is excellent and the Bosch drive system is very good and smooth.
First time with disk brakes on the push bike, they are really good..
Only had them for two days and so far very impressed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back