How unsafe would you have to feel to move on from an aire? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have never moved for any reason.

We did have a bit of a fright by a lake in Slovakia, where we were the only MH. A banging noise about 0200.
Did a quick 360 degree view outside, and all clear within 100m, so went back to bed. It happened again next morning - then we realised it was the Truma having a hiccup trying to start. We laughed at ourselves.
I kept hearing a car horn going off at midnight took 4 days of peering out the blinds trying to find out what was going on.
It was my phone vibrating when turning off at midnight, I'd started putting on the shelf above the bed and the wood was amplifying it at least ten fold.

Or walkietalkie vibrating and chirping to tell you the battery is critically low as someone forgot to turn it off :)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Never felt the need to move on but have pulled into a couple and not liked the “feel” of the area so just left.

Only problem we have had was when, in France, we pulled into a car park late at night to overnight.

We were awakened at about 5:30am by noises outside. After a few minutes with no let up in the activity we peered through the window blind to find the local market being set up around us!

Quickly dragged some togs on and beat a hasty retreat accompanied by smiles, laughter and waves from the stall holders.
Exactly the same when we pulled into a town square about midnight in the seventies, only got four hours kip before moving as the stalls would have blocked us in until midday,

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
As long as me guns loaded I'm happy :devil:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I must admit, we have a bear spray (strictly illegal here I think) I bought in Canada after a small incident in Vancouver and it is located next to the fire extinguisher handy for the exit door if we had any problem.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Weve gone to aires and not been happy so moved on but never left one once parked.We did however get an early morning wake up when the circus arrived to set up on the aire we were sleeping on.
We have parked on a couple with circus's, not a bit of trouble and got to look at the animals.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have moved on from 2 just because they didn't feel/look right, one had a beautiful sea view but the area round it was unkempt and there was a lot of graffiti. the other we decided to just turn round in it as we decided before we go into it that it was not in the best of areas.
We did however stop at one place where John wasn't so keen, it was late when we arrived, but I was knackered, slept in our clothes 'just in case' woke up to a beautiful village lovely bakery and are still kicking ourselves for not noting down where we were. all 3 in France.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I must admit, we have a bear spray (strictly illegal here I think) I bought in Canada after a small incident in Vancouver and it is located next to the fire extinguisher handy for the exit door if we had any problem.

The law is very clear when it comes to pepper spray being used or held in UK, it’s laid out in Section 5(1) (b) of the firearms act of 1968:
This act prohibits any weapon of any description, designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other substance.

Basically, the law categorically states that any sort of pepper spray, which includes the sort used by law enforcement around the world, that projects an irritating gas or liquid, is, without a shadow of a doubt, illegal for any UK citizen to own or buy while on UK shores.

So, for all intent and purposes I have disposed of said bear spray and will only use if I happen to come across a bear,

Apparently the following are legal....

Link Removed

spray 2

Might be useful to carry one?

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Gut feelings really. All-night cafes on French main roads often seem to attract odd types.
Frightening - overnighting under trees on a towpath in misty rain next to the river Somme in January. What with animals wandering about and rain drops falling on the roof, SWMBO panicking, I could virtually hear the Tommies marching to the front !
OR - watching the tide creep towards us on the old Mont Saint Michel car park at 2am.
Slightly off topic, I know, but at least I got them off my chest.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Just outside Tours in Bouvray, in January 2018, we stopped at an Aire but weren’t happy about two long term residents, one with a tarpaulin draped halfway round the van and a smoking chimney, the other looking like a converted horse box Apart from the bad vibes we were getting, their large generator put us off.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes but it seems to be getting worse from the reports on here.
Look what's happened at COE

So what dactyl happened there ..............can I smell gas ??

I think that had the late night whispering table movers been up to no good, the bikes wouldn't have still been chained to the tree the next day!

We generally move very slowly into aires (free or otherwise) just to check out other users, satellite obstructions etc etc. Have to agree it seems that city aires can have a slightly intimidating feel to them.

I remember slowly driving into the city aire in Bourges about ten years ago. It was really hot so we thought a leafy aire would be just the job. Delayed getting the chairs out because one or two vans looked a little 'tired'.

Decided to go for it, out came the chairs and a small table. Next thing a beat up old van slows up and begins to reverse in along side. By the time he'd turned his engine off, we had the table and chairs stowed. He came over and started chatting, reached into his van and pulled out some beers and handed them out.

He was a gentleman. Pensioned out of the Foreign Legion with shell shock and spent his days chasing extra work for films. The conversation turned to the state of a few vans parked up and he introduced me to their owners. They couldn't afford housing, one couple the husband wasn't French and couldn't get a passport. They were all very polite well dressed and we felt very safe after the introductions.

I asked him how they got around the length of stay notice. In typical French style he said "Paa 48 hours this way, 48 hour that way"!!

The other bonus was some great ideas on where to stay on our route.

Other than that, just a few we didn't like the feel of and moved on.

In Avignon we stayed next to some Italian fair ground workers (a family). Loud but no problems with behaviour.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Without wishing to decry the risks of parking in out of the way places, (I posted earlier in this thread).

We were travelling in France, very late at night for us, about 2;00am. Needing to stop we spotted some caravans and motorhomes parked up on some waste ground and parked alongside them.

The next morning we discovered that we were part of a travellers encampment. When we surfaced we were greeted with smiles and one caravan sent their two young children across to us with fresh croissants.

We spoke to their family, thanking them, they welcomed us to their Country, and we went on our way.

It taught us that we have similar prejudices to many which can only be overcome by familiarity with the “unknown”.

OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
[QUOTE="maison, post: 3644889, member:
It taught us that we have similar prejudices to many which can only be overcome by familiarity with the “unknown”.
[/QUOTE]
Agree with that but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
[QUOTE="maison, post: 3644889, member:
Agree with that but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful.
[/QUOTE]
I have no argument with that. As in my previous post on at least two occasions we have arrived at an Aire, not liked the feel of it, and moved on.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The other time we parked amongst dunes.
Kept hearing strange noises very close, bearing in mind it’s very dark ie no light pollution.
Turned out it was seals ?

A few years ago I was delivering a sea kayak assessment out at the Farne Islands, part of the assessment involved a night navigation exercise and an overnighter. We based the overnight on Longstone, bivvying underneath the lighthouse made famous by Grace Darling. Having stayed there previously with the foghorn going off I packed and used my ear plugs.

During the next days paddling one of the candidates complained he had hardly slept, not it turns out because of the foghorn. No, he had heard and seen the seals, including a big bull seal, and lying in his sleeping bag wrapped in his gray bivvy bag he managed to convince himself that the big bull seal might see him as its next sexual conquest. Once that image had got into his mind, he couldn't shift it!

OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I lived in SW Scotland and well remember the 1993 dreadful murder of a German man and shooting and stabbing of his family while they wildcamped near Cairnryan. It seemed a purposeless crime. Perhaps the local publicity around the murder made me a little more wary of camping where I don't feel comfortable.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
If you don't feel comfortable move on as you won't sleep in piece. We wild camp most of the time. No problems so far.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
We have been very lucky so far one or two times we have been a bit uneasy but toughed it out and been OK usually we have had company. We wereat Tryport and were besiged by local children and youths and a French van left the aires and just as we were thinking of doing the same an adult appeared and shouted at them. They all disappeared and a peaceful night ensued. What helped was it was a long summer night so it was mor nuisance value than intimidating. We usually only use them as stopovers and use sites most of the time once at destinations.

OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have been very lucky so far one or two times we have been a bit uneasy but toughed it out and been OK usually we have had company. We wereat Tryport and were besiged by local children and youths and a French van left the aires and just as we were thinking of doing the same an adult appeared and shouted at them. They all disappeared and a peaceful night ensued. What helped was it was a long summer night so it was mor nuisance value than intimidating. We usually only use them as stopovers and use sites most of the time once at destinations.
You must have been pleased you didn't move on!
We moved on once from an aire in Germany, we had our 5 year old with us and had parked and gone into the town for a meal. We did notice on walking past the borne that it was 'out of order due to vandalism'. On our return there were some youths, whom we were told lived at a nearby camp, who were going around the few vans there, opening doors, looking under vans and in one case openly scrutinising a van garage that was opened to put a returning motorbike away. We were sitting in our small camper thinking we would be wise to move on when two of the youths opened the sliding door and made to get in! We left, as did two other vans, and had a peaceful night on a nearby campsite. No risks to be taken when with a child!

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We camped on the beach Saturday night, too late to book in the Playa Tropicana.
We got shot at around 01:30 by some idiots who raced away when I sprang out of deep sleep.

I was still awake when they returned about 25mins later, once more a couple of shots.

I decamped and hid behind some apartments about a mile away and finished my nights sleep.

Only superficial damage with a few dents in the gel coat.

Must have been a plastic pellet gun.

Idiots! Gave me a couple of momentos and a bit of adventure.

Won't stop me enjoying every moment.

Gerry

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Ah thanks, I knew it had closed, it just read as if some major incident had occurred that I'd not heard about. We stayed a couple of times in the past, even saw some migrants, but with it being so close to the police, never saw it as a problem really and never had a problem either.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Whenever I have stayed remotely, I don't need to worry. I have an angry Mrs, a German Shepherd and a Growler so all good!
I also have a fondness for baseball and like to have a swing whenever I get a chance, so always keep one in the van.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Whenever I have stayed remotely, I don't need to worry. I have an angry Mrs, a German Shepherd and a Growler so all good!
I also have a fondness for baseball and like to have a swing whenever I get a chance, so always keep one in the van.

I'm guessing that your baseball equipment includes a baseball and baseball glove just in case you ever have to prove your fondness for the game ?

We have so much rain where we live that we can fully justify carrying two large umbrellas and keep them at points of entry/exit all the time on or off island. We find the larger heavy duty ones far better value for money. They don't tend to collapse in strong winds and I'm sure that has something to do with the metal spikes on the ends of them ?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Although I have asthma and don't use them, used to keep a coup e of cheap perfume or deoderant sprays by the door. thought it might make them easier to find too.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I'm guessing that your baseball equipment includes a baseball and baseball glove just in case you ever have to prove your fondness for the game ?

We have so much rain where we live that we can fully justify carrying two large umbrellas and keep them at points of entry/exit all the time on or off island. We find the larger heavy duty ones far better value for money. They don't tend to collapse in strong winds and I'm sure that has something to do with the metal spikes on the ends of them ?

My main reason for the Baseball bat apart from my love of baseball of course is the fact that my dog is only 3 and takes a lot of exercise. A Baseball bat is perfect as I can hit a Tennis ball a lot further for her to chase!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Me too. And I’m just a motorhome beginner
Don't get frightened. When you see how many motorhomers there are and how few incidents there are, the fear of a possible incident isn't justified. I'm not saying things don't happen but they are much rarer than it would seem reading this thread.
Most people are NOT out to rob or burgle you; neither are they out to kill or maim you. It's a matter of common sense and importantly, following your own instincts. If somewhere looks or sounds iffy, then move on.
Posters suggesting that you carry baseball bats or whatever with the intention that you use them are not giving sound advice, in my view. All studies have shown that people who carry weapons for defensive purposes are more likely to be the victim of them. And, in the UK, the use of force and weapons has to be proportionate to the risk.
It would be really sad, in my opinion, if you were to be put off motorhoming or travelling generally, by the fear of something that is really unlikely to happen.
I'm standing by for the flak from the have a go's! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back