How unsafe would you have to feel to move on from an aire? (1 Viewer)

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
We were overnighting among sand dunes along a remote coast of the South Island of NZ. It was an area recommended by our national camping organisation as a suitable place for wild camping. At 3 o’clock in the morning youths put a six foot long wooden pole through the driver’s side window. I tried to read the number of their car as they sped away but they had taken the bulb out of the number plate light.
We have wild camped all around the UK, Australia and Europe, including Romania, Croatia, Czech Republic and Hungary and we’ve never had a problem from the locals. It was a huge disappointment and embarrassment to me that it was in my home country that I experienced such a frightening and dangerous act.
I must say that this is a very rare event over here and was reported in the NZ Motorcaravan Association magazine. The location has also been removed from their directory.
Has it stopped me from wild camping? No.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I (We) have had about 40years of Camping, from tents to R-V`s. I can count on one hand the number of times I have moved on, because of fears over "security". Once in France, Once in Spain, and twice in the USA. In 3 out of 4 cases they involved "urban" stopovers. In that period I have many times overnighted in lay-bys, as I did in my period as a Truck Driver, Continental Aires, and UK Parking Places too, without problems. We did have one night some years ago where we inadvertently "chose" what turned out be a local "Dogging" site.:xrofl: SWMBO wasn't impressed, but we had no issues over security, just a bit of a giggle at the number of "Steamy" Cars!!.

I have however pulled into a few places, where I have had the "hairs on the back of the neck" feeling. and decided to find somewhere else. Can`t put a finger on it, maybe a hangover from years of "shore going" in some dodgy foreign ports?.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Second one was at Coimbra. Nice Aire in a Park within walking distance of the beautiful City Centre which is the home of Portugal's most prestigious University. Trouble was it was the end of the exams. The music in the next field started at about 10pm and by one o'clock the place was heaving with cars parking where they could and people still arriving. We realised that this was going to be an all nighter and we would get no sleep. So we drove out in our pyjamas and headed out another 20 miles or so to another Aire.
I think its like quite often, disco in the leisure centre right next to the Aire, it starts to quieten down about 2 am. Not too bad for us the Aire was full so we were in the coach park a bit
further away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We've only had a very few instances that made us move on and one in almost the reverse!!

A couple of years ago we moved on from the aire at Orgelet because there was a travellers (gens de voyage) encampment down the road and men from there were walking up and down the road past the aire obviously weighing up the motor homes on the aire.
We moved south to the aire at Arinthod which although not free is a very pleasant overnight stop.

Last year we experienced almost the reverse when parked 'alone' over night up high on the Brecon Beacons. Well we were alone until after dark and the army (or SAS) arrived on an exercise!
I peeped outside and saw the heavy rucksacks and gear which convinced me of their purpose and of course the local knowledge of military activity in that area.
We listened to them circling our camper and weighing it up. From their anglo saxon language we realised that they could see our dash-cam lens peeping out under the internal windscreen covers and were concerned that we may be spying on their exercise.

In this instance the laugh was on them not us.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We were overnighting among sand dunes along a remote coast of the South Island of NZ. It was an area recommended by our national camping organisation as a suitable place for wild camping. At 3 o’clock in the morning youths put a six foot long wooden pole through the driver’s side window. I tried to read the number of their car as they sped away but they had taken the bulb out of the number plate light.
We have wild camped all around the UK, Australia and Europe, including Romania, Croatia, Czech Republic and Hungary and we’ve never had a problem from the locals. It was a huge disappointment and embarrassment to me that it was in my home country that I experienced such a frightening and dangerous act.
I must say that this is a very rare event over here and was reported in the NZ Motorcaravan Association magazine. The location has also been removed from their directory.
Has it stopped me from wild camping? No.

Only twice did we feel a little uneasy on the South Island.

One place we parked next to a river and was reasonably remote.
A car turned up and it was someone fishing but the a couple more campers turned up so all good.

The other time we parked amongst dunes.
Kept hearing strange noises very close, bearing in mind it’s very dark ie no light pollution.
Turned out it was seals ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We would have done as you did.

One aire we left in a hurry was Ashkeaton in Eire as no sooner had we parked and there were youngsters at the door trying to sell stuff. The people in the van next to ours had gone for supplies and when they came back they were also mobbed so we went on to a nearby Britstop and had a nice quiet night.

I wrote to Ashkeaton Chamber of Commerce to let them know what had happened (I wasn't sure who else to contact) so maybe they were able to take things further.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not scary but funny.. in France somewhere
Heading south and it was getting late.. Could not find anywhere that was right out the way so we said ok, next town we reach, find an industrial estate and that will do
So pulled off the main drag and followed the signs to the factories
Found a spot that was close to some houses but right off the road..
Just as I turned off the headlights Woman spotted a slip road that went right behind a large building into a deserted car park
Go down there John, she said..
Nahh.. we are level here, well off the road, and it is very quiet.. this will do

About 10pm we started hearing cars arriving.. Did not really worry me as said, there were houses and all sorts close by
By 10.30pm we was completely surrounded and THEN............................
120dB of rave music !!!!!!!!!!

We had parked along from a local club :) But by 01.30 it was as quiet as the grave again..

In the morning when it was light we got up and started to get ready to leave when we heard big steel roller shutters going up followed by two or three big lorries starting up

Had a look and only then found out where Maureen had said park was actually the back of the fire station !!
We wouuld have been oh so popular if I had moved :xrofl: :xrofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The only time we had stuff stolen has been on camp sites !
Twice we have met people who have been robbed on Camp sites, stayed & wilded at 100 times as many places yet to meet anyone who has been robbed.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Not scary but funny.. in France somewhere
Heading south and it was getting late.. Could not find anywhere that was right out the way so we said ok, next town we reach, find an industrial estate and that will do
So pulled off the main drag and followed the signs to the factories
Found a spot that was close to some houses but right off the road..
Just as I turned off the headlights Woman spotted a slip road that went right behind a large building into a deserted car park
Go down there John, she said..
Nahh.. we are level here, well off the road, and it is very quiet.. this will do

About 10pm we started hearing cars arriving.. Did not really worry me as said, there were houses and all sorts close by
By 10.30pm we was completely surrounded and THEN............................
120dB of rave music !!!!!!!!!!

We had parked along from a local club :) But by 01.30 it was as quiet as the grave again..

In the morning when it was light we got up and started to get ready to leave when we heard big steel roller shutters going up followed by two or three big lorries starting up

Had a look and only then found out where Maureen had said park was actually the back of the fire station !!
We wouuld have been oh so popular if I had moved :xrofl: :xrofl:
You were lucky! We stopped on a really nice aire, next to a really nice park with a sport’s clubhouse. During the afternoon lots of families arrived for what seemed like a family party. Could see them dancing, older people and children. The music couldn’t be heard from the Aire and we settled down to sleep,to be woken up about 1.00am by earblasting disco music that went on until 5.00am! Won’t stop there again on a Saturday night!

OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We've never had problems wild camping or on aires, stellplatz, etc.

We actively pick wilderness places as we like nothing more than being miles from anyone or anything.
Agree it's great when you're miles from anyone ... the problem of whether to stay or move is when you think you're miles from anyone then someone unexpectedly appears and does something disturbing!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
does something disturbing!
I spose it depends entirely on what the individual considers disturbing :) Short of waving a gun, axe, or large knife there is not much I find alarming..
But then, some of the stuff I do may well have others move away from me !!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I spose it depends entirely on what the individual considers disturbing :) Short of waving a gun, axe, or large knife there is not much I find alarming..
But then, some of the stuff I do may well have others move away from me !!!!!
Boy racers doing handbrake turns 2 foot from my van I find very disturbing. It was in Ireland I'm sure they were doing it to wind up the Motorhomers.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Boy racers doing handbrake turns 2 foot from my van I find very disturbing. It was in Ireland I'm sure they were doing it to wind up the Motorhomers.
Think I would proly hop out, and with a big grin and thumbs up video them !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We once stopped on an Aire in France. We were still in the cab, when a truck pulled in next to us. I glanced across at the two guys and a wave of fear shot through me when I saw the size of the knife one was holding. It was a surreal moment, as in “that’s not a knife, this is a knife” if you follow me. We didn’t hang around.

We never stay anywhere if either one of us feels at all uneasy. No discussion, we just move on.
Two guys in France pulling up in a truck and waving a knife around? You obviously didn’t see the sausage bread and cheese he was about to cut.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think its like quite often, disco in the leisure centre right next to the Aire, it starts to quieten down about 2 am. Not too bad for us the Aire was full so we were in the coach park a bit
further away.
Lenny, this one was not in a building it was in a field or park next to the Aire. All outdoors and on a temporary stage with groups playing. When we were leaving at gone 1 they were still streaming in through the gates.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Never felt the need to move on but have pulled into a couple and not liked the “feel” of the area so just left.

Only problem we have had was when, in France, we pulled into a car park late at night to overnight.

We were awakened at about 5:30am by noises outside. After a few minutes with no let up in the activity we peered through the window blind to find the local market being set up around us!

Quickly dragged some togs on and beat a hasty retreat accompanied by smiles, laughter and waves from the stall holders.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Never felt the need to move on but have pulled into a couple and not liked the “feel” of the area so just left.

Only problem we have had was when, in France, we pulled into a car park late at night to overnight.

We were awakened at about 5:30am by noises outside. After a few minutes with no let up in the activity we peered through the window blind to find the local market being set up around us!

Quickly dragged some togs on and beat a hasty retreat accompanied by smiles, laughter and waves from the stall holders.
Happened to a friend of mine except he slept through it, he couldn't get out until 3 pm the next day.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
10 years ago, one of the aires in La Rochelle turned out to be a dogging site, cars driving by and shining headlights on the parked vans. Didn't see much activity otherwise, and since we were with friends in another van we each just battened down the hatches and slept soundly. It was soon closed. Normally we follow the advice of just driving off if you are uncomfortable, but that has rarely been necessary. The thing is, these events that people are relating have been culled from a few years of otherwise happy and comfortable nights and are not a normal event.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
South of Porto, small car park by the river, large dunes and deserted coast nearby, lovely.
noticed a chap on a moped drive along the adjourning road three or four times in an hour.
returned from walk on beach, around 8:30ish p.m.
car with four youths smoking and music.

other van had left.
then realised, as you do, it was a saturday night.

reckoned it was probably party night, so moved on.

once in ireland , on a dune car park , deserted beach etc, woken up early, international fishing competition being setup !

otherwise no-issues at, in towns, in aires etc, laybys and even campsites and pubs.

when we first started ,though, every hearing nerve was working overtime trying to work out every sound. . Now just nod of and wake up, relying on the dog to raise the alarm.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Stopped on an Aire in small town in France. We felt a bit isolated. There was no one else until about 10pm when a French motorhome parked on the other side. That made us more relaxed. About 1am a car parked nearly next to us and a French couple got out having a domestic and appeared drunk about carrying all the bags from the car. She stormed off and he threw the bags down over the car park wall and then followed after her gesticulating in French. Couple of minutes later we heard one bang like a gun shot. We were terrified. Then the French motorhome drove away. What should we do? We dared not go outside so we stayed. Our motorbike trailer chained to the back and our steady legs down. No sleep at all. As soon as it got light we had a quick breakfast and we're pleased to be on our way. It could of been a car back firing but the fact the French motorhome left quickly made us very nervous because we didn't know what all the shouting was about.

Like your style 'terrified' but had ,breakfast before leaving

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have moved from a few Aires over the years but mostly because we just didn’t fancy the look of the place, sometimes you get a ‘feeling’ about a place.
One we moved from as the locals were setting up some sort of event for the evening.
One we moved from at 2am, as there was a rave going on nearby!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have never moved for any reason.

We did have a bit of a fright by a lake in Slovakia, where we were the only MH. A banging noise about 0200.
Did a quick 360 degree view outside, and all clear within 100m, so went back to bed. It happened again next morning - then we realised it was the Truma having a hiccup trying to start. We laughed at ourselves.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have never moved for any reason.

We did have a bit of a fright by a lake in Slovakia, where we were the only MH. A banging noise about 0200.
Did a quick 360 degree view outside, and all clear within 100m, so went back to bed. It happened again next morning - then we realised it was the Truma having a hiccup trying to start. We laughed at ourselves.
I kept hearing a car horn going off at midnight took 4 days of peering out the blinds trying to find out what was going on.
It was my phone vibrating when turning off at midnight, I'd started putting on the shelf above the bed and the wood was amplifying it at least ten fold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back