Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
20190317_131725.jpg
20190317_131725.jpg
20190317_131747.jpg
Bless P&O
here's the letter I sent to them....

Hi everyone at P and O ferries.

Thank you for allowing my wife and I the pleasure of sailing across the channel and back for our ski trip over the past couple of weeks. I would like to however point out a few issues that we experienced in the hope that you can resolve them for your future clients and look forward to your reply.

1. The ferry “The pride of Burgundy” - please ask yourself; is it? If you were from Burgundy (which I have been to several times and its nice) would you really be pleased to call it your pride? It’s dirty, it’s tired and surely needs retiring. The staff on the boat are nothing short of superb though (like nearly all of your staff) and really try their best in a boat that should be renamed “The pride of Bury” no disrespect to Bury in Lancashire but it is slightly less appealing that Burgundy and definitely more fitting.
  2. Parking, on the return journey of our fantastic motor-homing adventure we returned on the far more superior “Spirit of France” Now this is a super ship pleasant staff and great facilities and actually quite clean. Although I do wish when passenger space is tight your “stair marshals” would actually go around and tell people to get their feet off the seats!!! However I digress- My wife recently has lost nearly 2 stones in weight following the Slimming World diet. She has been going for some months now and I am really pleased for her. She looks better, in fact stunning I might add but more importantly she must have known that we would have been placed on and parked on this ferry. When being parked on the ferry my motorhome was parked in such a space that it was virtually impossible to open the doors to get out. Despite my complaint to the parking attendant he was more than satisfied that my room and parking placement was adequate. Having failed to be able to get out of the window, we were then tasked with getting out the door instead. I hope these pictures will do it justice to demonstrate for you just how much weight my wife has had to loose to get out of the door when parked. What about myself? Well having ran over 100 marathons and being a member of the 100 marathon club, I am should we say quite flexible and not to be described as “a fat bloke” However, quite broad I did manage to manoeuvre myself out the van. Getting back in the van was a little more difficult and although I managed to do this I did smack my head on some part of the ship and it hurt!!!. When my wife attempted the same manoeuvre she broke the trim on my very expensive motorhome door.

So having explained the above for you I would welcome your comments and your ideas to prevent this from happening again for me. We are should we say “frequent flyers” so keen to make sure my wife and I are not placed in to this scenario again especially if she gives up with slimming world and puts any weight on.

Obviously you can see from my email that there is some should we say “ attempt at humour” however, please do not detract from the seriousness of the situation we found ourselves in. My dogs who are Newfoundlands would certainly not have been able to get out in an emergency and I find this quite upsetting. I do hope this is better when we travel again with you in April

Kind Regards

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
:)(y) nice on Paul, good luck with a reply;) I wrote to them about their policy of charging a motorhome over 7.99 metres as a 12 metre truck:mad: I got the "thank you for your mail we will respond in 14 days" after 14 days I gave them a poke and the reply was "ah the industry standard is 28 days so we will come back to you, after 28 days another poke did elicit their response which was basically "tough that is our policy" funny though the MH and Caravan club sell P&O spaces in much smaller increments.

Martin

PS well done Nikki

I will also add that on one trip they parked us that close to the edge that a wheel trim got damaged but they bought us a full set @£200 which I have actually just fitted today.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
“ attempt at humour” however, please do not detract from the seriousness of the situation"

I find this quite upsetting.

And serious .... yes! I would have worried just the same be it for dogs or baby is a car seat (cosy) elder people etc....

We didn't have the pleasure to see Nikki's results from her diet efforts, but no doubt she did well!

EDIT : Just got the pics! You've always said Paul that your wife was the most beautiful woman....You're b***** right!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I can tell you one thing I would not get through that gap :whistle:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That was a well written letter. I wonder if the reply is humorous too.

Hope you get a free trip.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A gentleman would have put the window down and lifted your wife out that way same with dog`s.. :wink::rofl:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Isn't it forbidden to remain on the car deck while under way.
I would point this out to them and mention you also brought it to the attention of the relevant law makers.
Make them sweat a bit.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can think of worse things than being stuck in a comfy van with that hottie.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I Complained a couple of years ago about the state of our cabin on the Hull zeebrugge crossing and received a free crossing in upgraded cabin so here’s hoping you get something similar

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A gentleman would have put the window down and lifted your wife out that way same with dog`s.. :wink::rofl:
Mo, I love my wife, but would need lifting equipment to lift her out of the window. Would you like to try it?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Great letter Paul, and Nikki looking fab!!
Be interested in their response.

They really do squeeze the motorhomes into car lanes.
So much for the 6 metre rule lol

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok so here's their, there, or is there for the gramar Nazis among us @GPW ;-)

I think humor is clearly lost on poor Emily.

Dear Mr Nicholls,

Thank you for your email.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us in regards to your recent crossing with us.

I am sorry to read that you have had a poor experience when travelling us on your recent booked sailing. I do appreciate that some of our vessels are older than others and the furnishings are not what they used to be. I can confirm however, that we have a rolling program of maintenance for all of our vessels with annual refits and other repairs/refurbishments completed throughout the year as necessary.

The ships are loaded in a safe and efficient manner based on the layout of the vessel. Loading the tourist vehicle the way we do allows the car passengers to be kept safe going to and from their vehicles and limit their exposure to risk of an incident. I can only apologise that on this occasion this was not the case.

With this in mind, I would like to offer you a £50.00 credit to be used towards a future crossing. This is valid for one year from the date of this email. To redeem your credit you will need to book directly with our call center, which can now be done at no additional cost. When you are ready to book, please phone our call centre on 01304 44 88 88 quoting reference xxxxxxxx and the Agent will make a booking for you.

Once again, I apologise for the poor experience that you have had on this occasion, and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back onboard in the near future.

If we can help you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us at the address below or by email at the following address: customer.services@poferries.com.

Kind Regards,

Emily Stephens

P&O Ferries Care Team

P&O Ferries Holdings Ltd

Channel House

Channel View Road

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
@haganap ..
She lied Paul.. I thought I would be sneaky and nick your credit....

Putting xxxxxxxx in the box only got me £20 off !

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well the answer is quite simple in my eyes charge twice the fare and give twice the room.
I am sure most motor Homers will be happy with that ! :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back