How to better secure habitation door when open (1 Viewer)

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Hi Funsters,
We have a cassette lift so the habitation door staying open and fastened to van is a must however in this increasingly windy weather our present female/male connectors are just not doing it!
Today with the winds being gale force I was almost decapitated lol but hubby grabbed the door in time. The pics are what we have right now.
So would be interested in what other funsters have in place . IMG_2514.jpegIMG_2515.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokaijo

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Hi
There was a thread on here recently ref this as many people gave some tips , have a look in search section
Good luck
Wouldn’t happen to know which key words as habitation door sent me down a rabbit hole 🤣🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
View attachment 850550

Used on hab door ant gas locker

Smokaijo the above is the solution that you are seeking. Any solution that involves a bungee is a Heath Robinson attempt and will, at some point, end up giving you a fat lip (or damage to your paintwork).

Do it right.

The above retainers are used by top motorhome brands as the means to restrain doors/lockers for a reason; they are durable and capable.

Ian

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 850550

Used on hab door and gas locker

Those are the real answer. Forget bungees they just stretch in a strong wind and bang the door around.

They are what are fitted to 44t trailers: imagine one of those trailer doors catching the wind when driver is unloading - broken bones or even fatal.

We have not drilled for these but have a ratchet strap, not bungee, from hab door to wing mirror mounting.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
One of these with a hole drilled through both parts an an R clip on a piece of string
Screenshot_20240102_192612_Google.jpg

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The horrible thing about these door restraints is that they let go without any warning ,,, until the door hits you.
We've long used a bit of sailing halyard/paracord in our case tied from the door liner to the passenger door handle.
Totally reliable, never let us down,,and cheaper. The deluxe model (1m longer) also let's us restrain the door at 90 degrees for when it's a bit breezy
Mike

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Wouldn’t happen to know which key words as habitation door sent me down a rabbit hole 🤣🤣🤣
Just bungee it . Glad he didn't let you get decapitated . Are you sure your life insurance is up to date :wink: :rofl:

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
1705222892282.jpeg
Can thoroughly recommend the NiksNaks “Hab Strap” as sold by Parrotsol Central on EBay for £16.99 - does the job well without causing any damage. Item no.185978509201. Good luck! (And yes, I’m the seller’s proud Mum but it does work, believe me!)

May 30, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach-built
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Funsters,
We have a cassette lift so the habitation door staying open and fastened to van is a must however in this increasingly windy weather our present female/male connectors are just not doing it!
Today with the winds being gale force I was almost decapitated lol but hubby grabbed the door in time. The pics are what we have right now.
So would be interested in what other funsters have in place .View attachment 850451View attachment 850452
Bungee cord, one end hooked into door, the other on the rear wheel..works a treat!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back