How should campsites deal with the transition when they re-open? A debate. (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Planning and organising is critical to the present crisis. So when they eventually re-open and move to normality how should they manage us. A few suggestions might be ...only 2 people to a pitch, closure of toilet blocks, sites only 50 miles from home should be visited ?? Over to you!
only 2 to a pitch this sounds like the caravan club where they only cater for old age pensioners

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
although to be honest I am struggling to think of a conversion in this day and age that doesn't have their own facilities, other than "day vans" and why would someone want to camp in a van designed for "days out"

There are plenty of small vans, e.g. VW T4/5/6 pop-tops, that have no shower facilities but are more than capable of being used for camping, using sites with facilities. A lot of them will be the only vehicle in the household.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They are going to make rules for everyone not just motorhomers, so i can’t see how they can open a campsite and close the shower block. if they did they would be saying “you go camping but only if you can afford a motorhome or caravan”. I can’t see that being popular amongst ground dwellers.
Don't see the problem. What's wrong with a toilet tent & a Portapotty that's what we used to do in the old days when we had a tent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We have a number of people that full time in their motorhome and caravans, before the lockdown we decided to shut the site as hoards, and I mean hoards, of gypsies were trying to get onto sites

Presumably trying to get their feet under the table before the anticipated lockdown, and frankly, as getting rid of them is a pain at the best of times, not mentioning the mess and damage they cause, along with nice things that they do, like trying to intimidate "proper" guests (ones who pay) the idea of being "lockdown" with them wasn't something I was prepared to contemplate.

So given that and the not wishing anyone to bring the Virus on site we decided for our wardens and our own health that we were going to shut down.

We wrote to everyone on site and said that they had to leave by the Wednesday morning at 09.00 when the site entrance would be blocked and that was that.

We also said that we understood that the some of them had no where to go, so were prepared to allow them to stay, on a reduced rate, on the understanding that the Campsite is shut and that there could or would be no vehicle access whatsoever. The toilet block and laundry is was closing as well.

In effect people got to stay in their own units, on gravelled hard standings which are 10m apart, with electricity, WiFi, water, grey water disposal and black water disposal.

We organised a hut adjacent to reception with a table inside and said that all deliveries should be arranged to be "delivered" to the hut and we set up a high definition camera on the hut so that it is recorded 24 hours a day who delivers what and who "took it"

We wouldn't ask our wardens to be cleaning toilets, showers, washing up areas and the laundry, nor were we prepared to leave the entrance open due to the risk of gypsy invasion, and didn't expect our wardens to "man" the gate to allow people unfettered access to go out as and when they wanted

We explained as nicely as we could that we would prefer to close the campsite down lock stock and barrel but didn't want to "chuck people out" that had no where to go, hence the compromise.

A couple of people left, as they intended to park on families drives to be together, the rest stayed about twelve units I think, and I set up a social media group and added everyone so that we can all monitor and help each other should the need arise.

Everyone that stayed emailed and said thanks for letting them stay and that they totally understood that the facilities had to close.

When we are allowed to reopen, we will consider the advice that we are given, and, if necessary I will quite happily open to motorhomes and caravans with their own facilities, declining bookings from people in tents and that have conversions that don't have toilets and showers, although to be honest I am struggling to think of a conversion in this day and age that doesn't have their own facilities, other than "day vans" and why would someone want to camp in a van designed for "days out"

Will some people moan? no doubt! Will I loose a moments sleep over it? No, as probably I will be away in my own camper, using our own facilities on board as I always do anyway, keeping a socially acceptable distance from everyone, which I always do anyway as I have a 45Kg German Shepherd dog who loves humans but can't eat a whole one!
I think you did an excellent job in A) closing & B) in such a way that nobody in there right mind could fault. Having experienced the invasion problem with friends you definitely did the right thing & at the right time
There are plenty of small vans, e.g. VW T4/5/6 pop-tops, that have no shower facilities
Yes friends of ours splurged 50k on one .Don't even think it has a toilet. Then again they do not even use sites?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There are plenty of small vans, e.g. VW T4/5/6 pop-tops, that have no shower facilities but are more than capable of being used for camping, using sites with facilities. A lot of them will be the only vehicle in the household.
That is peoples personal choice and a tiny minority.

I will happily reopen my site, with toilets, showers and laundry facilities shut (at a reduced pitch fee) to people with on board facilities to allow them to get away after lock down.

If people with day vans consider it unreasonable, they can avoid my site, as they have avoiding it since we opened fifteen years ago.

Actually, I have always said, people in tents and vehicles that don’t have loo’s and showers should pay more than we do with our camper, as we very rarely use any of the sites facilities, often not even bothering to plug the electric in given our own board self sufficiency

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It’s seems to us, it’s either safe to reopen, including all facilities or all sites stay closed.
Not really, our pitches are 10m apart, our shower and toilet cubicles are adjacent to each other.

Pitches are easy to police, and ensure the rules are being observed.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hopefully we shall go to Jim’s Jasmin the first weekend after we are allowed out providing that he is open, there is plenty of room so should be able to keep away from anyone. As for any facilities then it’s not a problem as the toilet block, recreation room with free bar and free WiFi are not yet available .:giggle:

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
The virus is here to stay for a while and we are going to have learn to live with it. This is going to require an acceptance that anyone could be exposed to it during a communal activity and that tracing of those exposures is also going to be with us for some time.

If I decide to stay on a campsite this summer once that restriction is lifted I will expect that I may have to be tested and possibly quarantined if someone else who stayed at that site at the same time comes down with the virus in the week or so afterwards. The country will need to stamp out new flare ups or go back to where we started and lockdown again. I will want comply with this for my own safety and that of others.

I will also expect the enforcement measures on this will be similar to the present ones used to control lockdown and that the public will be broadly accepting of this as they have been so far.

This is not just for campsites. I expect the same for hotels, educational establishments, offices etc. I imagine we will get used to this for as long as it is needed but we will weigh up the benefits of a trip or visit against the possible consequences as we already factored in peak pricing, weather, budget etc. up until now.

Does anyone else have this
653E2862-6913-493B-91F1-1B651BB7354D.jpeg
advert of ”Quality Antibodies” next to their posts?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
How will anyone without their own toilet etc be able to travel? - Toilets at service areas closed ? - Public toilets closed ? - I don't think so

No reason for site toilet blocks to be closed if maintained properly....

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
That is peoples personal choice and a tiny minority.

I will happily reopen my site, with toilets, showers and laundry facilities shut (at a reduced pitch fee) to people with on board facilities to allow them to get away after lock down.

If people with day vans consider it unreasonable, they can avoid my site, as they have avoiding it since we opened fifteen years ago.

Actually, I have always said, people in tents and vehicles that don’t have loo’s and showers should pay more than we do with our camper, as we very rarely use any of the sites facilities, often not even bothering to plug the electric in given our own board self sufficiency

My point wasn't about how you run your site. That's your business and I respect that.

My point was that there are still plenty of vans like mine, without full facilities, that get used for camping/motorhoming. I don't think it's a "tiny minority".

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I’ll wait till the tunnel is open....
It's open now ,they just won't let you off the other end. :laughing:
Toilets at service areas closed ? - Public toilets closed ? - I don't think so
That's a problem even for anyone who needs access to toilets on a regular basis & nothing to do with travelling in the van. Many people struggled finding toilets even before any of this happened.personally I'd be complaining if I went in anywhere serving food & found that there were no toilets.
And everyone does their bit by using sterile wipes etc.
or the services could install some decent kit like the Germans use in there service areas that self clean, dry,sterilise,the seats after use & before use. yes there is a 70c charge but you get 50c of that back in shop&restaurant.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It could be taken as 'you can go camping but not wash' when I was a kid when camping we managed with a bowl and very limited water, toilets could be an issue though :giggler:
We used to camp without using a toilet block, we always used a porta potti when the kids were little back in the 70s so there's no reason others couldn't do it if they really wanted to get away! not sure I'd want to do it now that we're late 60s! Washing with just a bowl of water isn't that bad you can still have a strip wash.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Maybe I'm missing something here, currently we are in lockdown until the powers that be deem it safe to lift the lockdown.
I can only assume that will be when there is NO chance of anyone catching or spreading covid to anyone else.
Which in itself will mean everything is ok to go back to normal, you can't have it a little bit safe but still a fair chance that you will catch/spread covid thus starting another pandemic situation.
Who in their right mind would take such a risk, we are after all supposed to be semi intelligent adults.

Though I sometimes wonder.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Maybe I'm missing something here, currently we are in lockdown until the powers that be deem it safe to lift the lockdown.
I can only assume that will be when there is NO chance of anyone catching or spreading covid to anyone else.
Which in itself will mean everything is ok to go back to normal, you can't have it a little bit safe but still a fair chance that you will catch/spread covid thus starting another pandemic situation.
Who in their right mind would take such a risk, we are after all supposed to be semi intelligent adults.

We won't be going back to 'normal' - it will be 'the new normal' - and things will be different - that's what we have to get used to

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think it's going to be around for a very long time robnchris so I think lockdown is going to happen gradually but there is definitely still going to be some risk. I don't think we can be in lockdown in the long term or we are all going to go "round the bend"!

I think the new "normal" is going to be very different to what it was before COVID19. We were kind of SD before all of this when we were away in our MH! We spent an awful lot of time on our own or being apart from others when we were walking around and only shopping when we needed to, pretty much the same as at the moment. Fortunately we don't live in any of the big cities where I think SD is much more difficult.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

They won't be able to continue lockdown until theres no risk of the infection growing that won't be until theres a vaccine if there ever is one . It will be a partial release of lockdown and may or may not include campsites.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I really want things to return to normal just as we all do but I can't help feeling that's not going to happen for some years. If your over 70 and believe (for whatever reason) that you must continue to isolate then I think you are in for a very long haul, maybe years if no vacine/cure is found. I don't mean to be so pessimistic but that is possible likelihood. I truly hope I'm wrong.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I really want things to return to normal just as we all do but I can't help feeling that's not going to happen for some years. If your over 70 and believe (for whatever reason) that you must continue to isolate then I think you are in for a very long haul, maybe years if no vacine/cure is found. I don't mean to be so pessimistic but that is possible likelihood. I truly hope I'm wrong.
You might be right but as this affects the whole world I think things will move a lot more quickly than usual not least because of the huge potential profit. I think anyone who is thinking of trying to avoid it should at least give it a couple of months to see what's happening.

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

As I said on other threads, we don't know whats going to happen everything is guesswork. I started this thread hoping that the 'powers that be', most of whom I assume have never been in a camping field, will look for advice from the clubs. As we are a growing club/forum maybe they will take note of what we are proposing. From what I've read here opening with full facilities might be a long way off but opening with limited facilities and with other measures in place might just get us back on the road earlier and with some degree of safety. Please carry on putting your views forward.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
As I said on other threads, we don't know whats going to happen everything is guesswork. I started this thread hoping that the 'powers that be', most of whom I assume have never been in a camping field, will look for advice from the clubs. As we are a growing club/forum maybe they will take note of what we are proposing. From what I've read here opening with full facilities might be a long way off but opening with limited facilities and with other measures in place might just get us back on the road earlier and with some degree of safety. Please carry on putting your views forward.

One thing is for certain there won't be a vaccine this year, will there be one next year is anyones guess.
We had the whole year planned out like many others for trips and adventures away but it not going to happen not this year, let's just say they relax some of the rules of I don't think holidays will be high on the list.
I can't see the Greeks opening up all those remote islands that currently are safe from the virus because they stopped travel, they won't be saying "ok we'll take a chance and let a load of unknowns onto our safe island"
Who wants to go away to a campsite if all the local facilities are closed?

Facts are people are dying from this virus, odd thing is all those Nightingale centres are empty, why the powers that be haven't put the people with the virus in them rather than the hospitals is madness.
My wife works in hospitals all over the country and many of her patients don't turn up for their appointments because they are scared of going into hospitals, most of people in the NHS are 100% dedicated to treating these covid patients the problem is and always be at management level.
Medical decisions should be left to clinicians not some highly paid manager that hasn't a clue.

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Planning and organising is critical to the present crisis. So when they eventually re-open and move to normality how should they manage us. A few suggestions might be ...only 2 people to a pitch, closure of toilet blocks, sites only 50 miles from home should be visited ?? Over to you!
Can you make that 60

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back