How should campsites deal with the transition when they re-open? A debate. (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Planning and organising is critical to the present crisis. So when they eventually re-open and move to normality how should they manage us. A few suggestions might be ...only 2 people to a pitch, closure of toilet blocks, sites only 50 miles from home should be visited ?? Over to you!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don't think that the sites should put in any more rules. Whatever the government guidelines say at the time.
It’s up to individuals then, whether to go further than the guidelines by say, not using the toilet block.

Everyone will have their own level of risk.

You know what will happen if site wardens try to impose things, more complaints about them trying to do their job, and what a job that would be with those who would want not to abide by these rules, and there will always be some !

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Planning and organising is critical to the present crisis. So when they eventually re-open and move to normality how should they manage us. A few suggestions might be ...only 2 people to a pitch, closure of toilet blocks, sites only 50 miles from home should be visited ?? Over to you!

No toilet/shower facilities means pretty much no small campervans or tents. I can't see that working for many sites, though the C&CC did switch to that policy days before they were forced to close.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea...I just wonder how many sites that usually rely on families in tents in the summer (>2 people per pitch as well), e.g. near the coast, will give up on this year if they have to follow a rule like that.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Basic rule keep your 2mtrs. We have all got used to that..reinforced with signs.

No showers. Steam humidity and viruses could be a bad combination until al known otherwise.

otherwise the 6 mtre rule between vans and caravans should suffice with rule 1.

Travel distances. You go aroind in circles with the local economy and numbers tensions,
Tents ...... potentially smelly?,

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I don't think that the sites should put in any more rules. Whatever the government guidelines say at the time.
It’s up to individuals then, whether to go further than the guidelines by say, not using the toilet block.

Everyone will have their own level of risk.

You know what will happen if site wardens try to impose things, more complaints about them trying to do their job, and what a job that would be with those who would want not to abide by these rules, and there will always be some !
Couldn't agree more, I think this is the way to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Would it be unreasonable to let the workers have preference on a pitch at weekends, all the retirees during the week? There’s gonna be an awful lot of mohos travelling when this lifts up!!
Just throwing it out there (devils advocate)?

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Booking a pitch will require a verified mobile phone number. Authorities will have the right to be given the details of anyone booked to stay. Social distancing measures will stay be in place but if anyone who has stayed on a site is later found to be infected then everyone else who had been there will be traced and tested/quarantined. As will their contacts and so on.

Credit card and mobile phone records will also be used to identify who has been on the site while an infected person was present.

I read that businesses are currently amending their privacy rules to allow this data to be shared with the authorities. We have noticed several emails advising us of new Ts&Cs.

The virus apparently dislikes high humidity, which I admit does sound counterintuitive.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting to see how the new app works when it’s ready.
It could be that might allow access to sites if your personal rating on the app is that you have not been in contact with a carrier or whatever.
I don’t think the toilet block should be open, if they are I don’t intend using it as I think it would be safer using our own. But other than that motorcaravanning is safer than most holidaying methods and should be available sooner.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They are going to make rules for everyone not just motorhomers, so i can’t see how they can open a campsite and close the shower block. if they did they would be saying “you go camping but only if you can afford a motorhome or caravan”. I can’t see that being popular amongst ground dwellers.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The 6m 'rule' applies to the distance between units.
There will need to be a gap of at least 2m between pitches or a need to close every other one.
Those going to communal places without a vaccine will be taking a risk. The sites will make it clear that they will not be held responsible for the consequences.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
They are going to make rules for everyone not just motorhomers, so i can’t see how they can open a campsite and close the shower block. if they did they would be saying “you go camping but only if you can afford a motorhome or caravan”. I can’t see that being popular amongst ground dwellers.
Thats exactly what they have done at a local fishing / campsite although they brought it in this last year, and in time they will probably be done away with in favour of Cabins, lodges etc

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thats exactly what they have done at a local fishing / campsite although they brought it in this last year, and in time they will probably be done away with in favour of Cabins, lodges etc
If its what's needed to open then I can't see the problem. It's a bit like saying it's not fair not allowing people who can't afford cars to walk down the side of the motorway if that's the rules it's tough.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
If its what's needed to open then I can't see the problem. It's a bit like saying it's not fair not allowing people who can't afford cars to walk down the side of the motorway if that's the rules it's tough.
Motorways are for motor vehicles. Campsites are for people both rich and poor

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I’ve read all the comments is this really the sprit of camping my feeling is the site will have to stay closed until safe . my wife and I chased back from Spain to avoid the lock down .arriving at Zaragoza about 4 pm we waited in the queue to get in . As luck would have it a man at the gate waved us in and told us to find a pitch a
and come back to book in . Which was great feeling a bit tired from the drive cup of tea and back to life ,
when I walked over to book in there was as expected a queue . The man came out as was very clear stay 2 m apart if not the police would close us .
for the most we did a bide to it except the silly people who would not be told . You guessed it the police turned up and that was it site closed . By this time there was a long queue on the road way who I guess had driven a long way and were tired . Who were turned away
moral of this tale don’t matter what ever the rules the site are. There will be the few who will not comply .
i broke the rules to day opened up the camper on my drive made the coffee and had a nice morning in isolation on my own private campsite my front garden
happy days

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well they aren't all there are a lot that only accept adults some that don't accept tents some without any facilities etcetera. If they can only open sensibly without shower blocks it might be open like that or stay shut either disappoint a few or everyone.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
And campsites will need to open to stay in business and if the rules mean only those with their own facilities can attend then that is what they will do.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
When we were stranded in a California campsite for a month two weeks ago, every facility was closed except for the laundry. No swimming pools, no sports, gym, communal areas. BUT, it was open and it worked out ok.
People kept to the SD , walked, cycled, and talked from an acceptable distance.
I think this would work providing people were respectful of the rules.
Phil

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Site I am on asks that if you have your own facilities to please only use them, otherwise toilets, showers are opened as usual. We are using our own at the moment but have used the laundry for bedding and large items. Reception is closed and you have to pay and talk to the owners by telephone or at a large outside distance

We are all spread out and there is an empty space either side of us.

We can go hours without seeing any one apart from the odd dog walker.

This could continue fairly easy after lockdown ends with perhaps just the usual vehicle spacing/ lower occupancy?

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
And campsites will need to open to stay in business and if the rules mean only those with their own facilities can attend then that is what they will do.

The likes of setthorns, camping in the forest site has no facilities, just water and waste points, and it is stated at booking and when you get to the site, they don't have any problems, so I see no problems of those that want to keep their facilities closed doing so, just make it clear when taking bookings etc.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have a number of people that full time in their motorhome and caravans, before the lockdown we decided to shut the site as hoards, and I mean hoards, of gypsies were trying to get onto sites

Presumably trying to get their feet under the table before the anticipated lockdown, and frankly, as getting rid of them is a pain at the best of times, not mentioning the mess and damage they cause, along with nice things that they do, like trying to intimidate "proper" guests (ones who pay) the idea of being "lockdown" with them wasn't something I was prepared to contemplate.

So given that and the not wishing anyone to bring the Virus on site we decided for our wardens and our own health that we were going to shut down.

We wrote to everyone on site and said that they had to leave by the Wednesday morning at 09.00 when the site entrance would be blocked and that was that.

We also said that we understood that the some of them had no where to go, so were prepared to allow them to stay, on a reduced rate, on the understanding that the Campsite is shut and that there could or would be no vehicle access whatsoever. The toilet block and laundry is was closing as well.

In effect people got to stay in their own units, on gravelled hard standings which are 10m apart, with electricity, WiFi, water, grey water disposal and black water disposal.

We organised a hut adjacent to reception with a table inside and said that all deliveries should be arranged to be "delivered" to the hut and we set up a high definition camera on the hut so that it is recorded 24 hours a day who delivers what and who "took it"

We wouldn't ask our wardens to be cleaning toilets, showers, washing up areas and the laundry, nor were we prepared to leave the entrance open due to the risk of gypsy invasion, and didn't expect our wardens to "man" the gate to allow people unfettered access to go out as and when they wanted

We explained as nicely as we could that we would prefer to close the campsite down lock stock and barrel but didn't want to "chuck people out" that had no where to go, hence the compromise.

A couple of people left, as they intended to park on families drives to be together, the rest stayed about twelve units I think, and I set up a social media group and added everyone so that we can all monitor and help each other should the need arise.

Everyone that stayed emailed and said thanks for letting them stay and that they totally understood that the facilities had to close.

When we are allowed to reopen, we will consider the advice that we are given, and, if necessary I will quite happily open to motorhomes and caravans with their own facilities, declining bookings from people in tents and that have conversions that don't have toilets and showers, although to be honest I am struggling to think of a conversion in this day and age that doesn't have their own facilities, other than "day vans" and why would someone want to camp in a van designed for "days out"

Will some people moan? no doubt! Will I loose a moments sleep over it? No, as probably I will be away in my own camper, using our own facilities on board as I always do anyway, keeping a socially acceptable distance from everyone, which I always do anyway as I have a 45Kg German Shepherd dog who loves humans but can't eat a whole one!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

It could be taken as 'you can go camping but not wash' when I was a kid when camping we managed with a bowl and very limited water, toilets could be an issue though :giggler:

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
The 6m 'rule' applies to the distance between units.
There will need to be a gap of at least 2m between pitches or a need to close every other one.
Those going to communal places without a vaccine will be taking a risk. The sites will make it clear that they will not be held responsible for the consequences.
Been in twin lakes Souméras France for 2 months. No social distance but only 8 bods altogether. No virus and fit and healthy.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Most caravans have showers and toilets I’ve seen

Carol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back