Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We are on our last couple of nights in France.

We have discovered some excellent Aires this year, last year (newbies) only stayed at one and it didn't live up to expectations.
This year we have chosen well.
From Honfleur down to the Mediterranean I think we've used approx 7 different Aires, all suitably resourced from "All the aires" books.
Kids have enjoyed as much as being on a site.
However, trying to find an aire to visit the beach on the med requires some serious planning especially during the French holiday !!
:D(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We are on our last couple of nights in France.

We have discovered some excellent Aires this year, last year (newbies) only stayed at one and it didn't live up to expectations.
This year we have chosen well.
From Honfleur down to the Mediterranean I think we've used approx 7 different Aires, all suitably resourced from "All the aires" books.
Kids have enjoyed as much as being on a site.
However, trying to find an aire to visit the beach on the med requires some serious planning especially during the French holiday !!
:D(y)
Well it's only like the old wakes weeks.. The way to do it is to avoid French holidays.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We use the aires all the time when in France, although not the motorway ones, and have never had a problem. Some are in fabulous locations and most are free. If you are not entirely happy, then simply drive on to the next one - we use the Camperstop Europe book. We have occasionally found that the aire we are making for has been closed or is occupied by a fair or whatever so always have a Plan B in mind and you should be fine. Why pay for a campsite when you have everything you need on board and almost every aire has a service point?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Just stayed at Dieppe 1. Ideal location for the ferry with good facilities for waste water etc prior to the final leg home BUT...early the next morning there were a succession of mainly German and French offering their toilet cassette against a clearly designated tap for drinking water only. They could not comprehend the thought of filling up a water container first to rinse it through remote from the tap and the potential serious contamination. A few words were exchanged!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just stayed at Dieppe 1. Ideal location for the ferry with good facilities for waste water etc prior to the final leg home BUT...early the next morning there were a succession of mainly German and French offering their toilet cassette against a clearly designated tap for drinking water only. They could not comprehend the thought of filling up a water container first to rinse it through remote from the tap and the potential serious contamination. A few words were exchanged!

They don’t seem to think or care about this type of hygiene.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Never stayed on Aires so can’t comment but I will get the vacarious books as advised because we would like to do trip down thru Loire using Aires
But: reading all thread they do sound like carparks, can you sit out with tables ect, we really must try them and see why we all pay such a lot for these vans but want to sit in a carpark lmao

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Never stayed on Aires so can’t comment but I will get the vacarious books as advised because we would like to do trip down thru Loire using Aires
But: reading all thread they do sound like carparks, can you sit out with tables ect, we really must try them and see why we all pay such a lot for these vans but want to sit in a carpark lmao
There are a multitude of aires all over France, some are car parks, some are ex municipal sites, some are in towns or cities, some in the countryside; just take your choice. There are lots in wonderful positions with great views and I'm sure if you start a thread and ask about Loire aires you'll get loads of suggestions.

Give it a go, it may not be for you but you won't know until you try.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i disagree with the safety in numbers theory whilst it means you may have company it also makes the location possibly more lucrative from the theives point of view.An aire in a sleepy village thats only used once a fornight isnt

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just read through this thread or sum of it think we will have to put the van up for sale cancel any plans for the Summer lock up the wife to keep here safe and rip up all our passports so we are not foolish enuge to venture down to dover and go over to that wicked continent it just not worth the risk
Bill

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We have been venturing in and out of France since the 70's using Aires and wilding with very little problems ,washing pinched off a line that someone foregot to take in (Port Bacates) many moons ago.
Broken down in the middle of nowhere ,no mobiles back in them days ,locals helped us out put us ,and two kids up for the night ,got upset when I offered to pay them ,so gave their kids some money which was acceptable
What's not to like ,and you'll find better parking than over here for sure :D

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Aires differ so much that there is no such thing as a "typical" one. A few can have proper marked out pitches and facilities better than many campsites. A few are in the corner of a grubby car park with no allocated spaces for motorhomes and rubbish and abandoned cars everywhere. But most are somewhere in between those two extremes. The advantages with using the campercontact app, rather than any book, is that there are usually lots of photos of each Aire. That way you can decide for yourself whether or not it is for you. But even if you don't like the look of it when you get there there will usually be another one only a few miles away.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Well I have never had a problem on Frence motorway aires.
Till now!!!!
Arives 02:30 hours
03:15 they tried to break in.
They broke watever they where using as a key in the door lock.
I woke up and by the time I was out with the baseball bat they had left.
But they did not get in so all is well.

Deleted User
Till now!!!!

Which service area was that?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The first service on the A20 after Vierzon.

I dont know the name it might be

Aire des Champs dAmour.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
24B8F0F5-4028-435F-9016-80145CAB58A8.jpeg
Hey do not judge the French with the yobs that abound back in Blighty, most aires are brilliant safe places to stop, yes some get too full but many you may well be parked on your own.

If anyone is nervous using one for the first night then can I suggest a short journey from the tunnel or Calais and head to the aire at Embry, which is in the aires book

Deleted User
The first service on the A20 after Vierzon.

I dont know the name it might be

Aire des Champs dAmour.

Not exactly near a big city then, where I would possibly have had doubts about parking overnight.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We have lived in France for the last twenty years and use our Motor Home most weekends for long weekend and have never encountered any problems. We have stopped on Motorway aires busy and quiet aires. As already been mentioned if it doesn't feel right move on. We have also stopped in village town squares. The precautions I take is to strap the driver and passenger doors together with a ratchet type strap which is a bright luminous yellow in color and bolt the habitation door from the inside. My motto is if your going to get robbed it will happen either in the motor home or at your house. That's what insurance is for. No one is going to stop me from enjoying myself and look out anyone who tries to stop me.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We have lived in France for the last twenty years and use our Motor Home most weekends for long weekend and have never encountered any problems. We have stopped on Motorway aires busy and quiet aires. As already been mentioned if it doesn't feel right move on. We have also stopped in village town squares. The precautions I take is to strap the driver and passenger doors together with a ratchet type strap which is a bright luminous yellow in color and bolt the habitation door from the inside. My motto is if your going to get robbed it will happen either in the motor home or at your house. That's what insurance is for. No one is going to stop me from enjoying myself and look out anyone who tries to stop me.

Do you seriously strap doors and use bolts on the doors while you sleep in the van ?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Till now!!!!

Probably lucky for you that they had left by the time you got outside with a baseball bat (y)

Reactions: Mel

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Currently in France and travelling with another solo friend in her MH. We have used Aires in a few places whilst over here and I have never felt frightened or intimidated. We have however used a few municipal camp sites and these are our preferred option. Horses for courses and common sense precautions is all I would really say.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Do you seriously strap doors and use bolts on the doors while you sleep in the van ?
Yep I have heard the front door locks can easily be opened with a screw driver on fiat ducatos. So with the strap even if they get past the lock they can't open the doors. And a bolt on the habitation door. Think it was on here I read they broke in through the front doors and stole stuff whilst people were asleep. The straps are inexpensive and so is a bolt. Plus helps me to sleep in piece.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Yep I have heard the front door locks can easily be opened with a screw driver on fiat ducatos. So with the strap even if they get past the lock they can't open the doors. And a bolt on the habitation door. Think it was on here I read they broke in through the front doors and stole stuff whilst people were asleep. The straps are inexpensive and so is a bolt. Plus helps me to sleep in piece.

Each to their own but not a good idea to hinder your exiting the van in an emergency by even a split second.
Luckily for me I don't own anything that if I don't have it tomorrow I would be upset about. I certainly won't be locking myself in a tinderbox van for a few quids worth of crap.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Each to their own but not a good idea to hinder your exiting the van in an emergency by even a split second.
Luckily for me I don't own anything that if I don't have it tomorrow I would be upset about. I certainly won't be locking myself in a tinderbox van for a few quids worth of crap.
I do have a smoke and gas detector installed. Our bed is at the back so the nearest escape route would be either through the window or the hab door. I feel comfortable with the set up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back