How often do you have to reboot your computer. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am just about to replace one of my servers and I just checked the uptime
For security reasons I have clipped the id stuff.
1706663001723.png

1685 days. which is June 21st 2019. And I believe that was the date I installed the new patchable kernel and that required the reboot to install it.

I have seen other Linux and Unix servers running for 2,000 and 4,000 days but the 4,000 day one was a long time ago and an offline version.

When I was running windows servers I think the longest uptime was about 6 weeks.

I will be sad to see this server go. I have had it since 2015.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just in case you don't realise why this is impressive. It has not crashed during that time and has provided services to many people across the internet without being hacked or exploited.
It has not suffered memory leaks or stability issues. It just runs and run and runs.

The new one has software written by Lennart Poettering on it (systemd) so I don't expect it to have such good reliability :(

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Very impressive ! Can’t help thinking back to my starting as a mainframe operator in the 70s when we were lucky if a system stayed up a whole day. Seem to remember being on an incentive scheme to manage 100% availability for a week - never found out the reward as it was never achieved !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a Macbook Pro that has not been rebooted in two years. I just lift the lid and carry on working. Right now I am on a one year old 'Studio" protected by a large UPS that has never been switched off or rebooted yet.

Nov 8, 2022
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Laika EcoVip 3019
Exp
20 years +
Some of our old Solaris servers had super long uptime, mail, news servers and the like, great hardware and o/s. I enjoyed working on the Sun kit (pre Oracle takeover). Bit of difference to now, where it's all cloud based and mostly serverless, glad I'm retiring at the end of Feb!

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Very impressive ! Can’t help thinking back to my starting as a mainframe operator in the 70s when we were lucky if a system stayed up a whole day. Seem to remember being on an incentive scheme to manage 100% availability for a week - never found out the reward as it was never achieved !

IBM mainframe Sysplexes are meant to stay available indefinitely. In my job in banking the major systems had been up for years before I retired and I’m sure they won’t have been lost in the subsequent 2.5 years.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our Aldi Meridian Windows 7 pc sounds positively arthritic on start up these days and I think it must have a touch of Alzheimer's as it rarely recognises its long time partner, the HP printer !

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
My HP laptop just stays on all the time. Just close the lid when I'm not using it. Only gets restarted when windows insists on an update.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jan and I both have MacBooks, only time they reboot is for a Mac OS update ..

That has been my experience of owning three other MacBooks and an iMac over the past 20 odd years .. they just work, and go on working year after year .. no tantrums, no fuss, no throwing wobblers or blue screens of death... boring really ...

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Jan and I both have MacBooks, only time they reboot is for a Mac OS update ..

That has been my experience of owning three other MacBooks and an iMac over the past 20 odd years .. they just work, and go on working year after year .. no tantrums, no fuss, no throwing wobblers or blue screens of death... boring really ...
Unlike Windows which I hate with a passion (and always have done since Windows 3).

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We had something similar at a very large company in Norway.

The brokers were very keen to ensure that we were aware that every minute of downtime during the working day cost about $12,000 !

The boss soon moved all the install team to nights.
Which in mid summer in Norway did not make difference mentally, it was dusk at midnight.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I have a Macbook Pro that has not been rebooted in two years. I just lift the lid and carry on working. Right now I am on a one year old 'Studio" protected by a large UPS that has never been switched off or rebooted yet.

I never even switch my MacBook off, last time was perhaps 6months ago. Work PC crashes once a month and must be switched off every day or it gets very upset hence I gave up on it and use my own devices

Reactions: Jim

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Deffo not windows servers for that uptime lol, most of our esx servers have been up for over 3 years as they are 24/7 with SLA's attached but none of our 2000+ windows servers are up for more than a month without rebooting. The plus side is that windows operating systems being so unreliable have kept me employed for the last 30+ years :)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Deffo not windows servers for that uptime lol, most of our esx servers have been up for over 3 years as they are 24/7 with SLA's attached but none of our 2000+ windows servers are up for more than a month without rebooting. The plus side is that windows operating systems being so unreliable have kept me employed for the last 30+ years :)
No it is Centos 7 which had a 10 year EOL when I installed it. Sadly Centos is no longer a thing so I am moving across to Debian 12. That has an EOL of 2028 so a much lower run time before an upgrade/reboot is required. Also Debian doesn't support the rebootless kernel patching I had previously used so each kernel update will require a reboot sadly. Ah well.

Reactions: zac
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Some of our old Solaris servers had super long uptime, mail, news servers and the like, great hardware and o/s. I enjoyed working on the Sun kit (pre Oracle takeover). Bit of difference to now, where it's all cloud based and mostly serverless, glad I'm retiring at the end of Feb!
I remember our Sun unix server had been on for years, it was old and had a complicated shutdown and restart procedure - trouble is, the people who ran it at first had left, and nobody knew how to shut it down and restart it. I think in the end they just got new servers when we changed premises, and it was never rebooted. Probably still working somewhere, for all I know.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
And I believe that was the date I installed the new patchable kernel and that required the reboot to install it.
If you don't reboot it again after and upgrade, how do you know it will rebotot when you need it?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you don't reboot it again after and upgrade, how do you know it will rebotot when you need it?
We don't ever know if it will reboot. By not having to reboot in the first place with patchable kernels you avoid that risk point.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Most impressive to my mind is how BT Telephone exchanges go for years (decades?) without needing a reboot and continue not to lose telephone calls even during major software upgrades.

Such a shame that they are now due to be stripped out because the 1970s circuit switched technology can not be upgraded to handle internet protocols.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I started IT life in a closed Banking IT world where we could control versions of all software and hardware . My first few years were spent coding / designing / testing mainframe (Assembler) business applications. Testing was done against one or two software levels on the machines in the bank branches.

Later in life I spent a while at a mobile phone network company. Testing there relied on decisions about which phone models were supported, and which alternative handsets (and later routers) might people try by "bunging" a Sim card in it.

I can see the attraction of the Apple world - hardware and software is influenced (if not controlled) by Apple

How on earth Microsoft decides what the scope of their testing is must be a real gamble. It's no wonder machines need rebooting. Anybody fancy taking on the decision making for their testing and being asked to guarantee system crashes won't happen?
O and getting releases into live operation in a reasonable length of time.!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
How on earth Microsoft decides what the scope of their testing is must be a real gamble. It's no wonder machines need rebooting. Anybody fancy taking on the decision making for their testing and being asked to guarantee system crashes won't happen?
O and getting releases into live operation in a reasonable length of time.!
Linux manages the same conundrum. I have been running solely Linux on the desktop for I guess about 15 years now and can't remember the last time I had a crash or was forced to reboot.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Linux manages the same conundrum. I have been running solely Linux on the desktop for I guess about 15 years now and can't remember the last time I had a crash or was forced to reboot.
I've not used Linux myself but that's impressive. (y)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Much as I accept the need to use computers over the past 20 years most of the postings on here are just total gobbledegook to me.
I switch my PC on and when it sometimes goes wonky I just press restart and the problem goes away.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back